• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Wreav

Banned
Suppose. What's weird is my app has been on Google Play since 2011 and has been on lots of big sites over the years and just now Apple messes with me. And my icon is not even the same as theirs...sigh

In all fairness, man, your original icon was like 90% similar to Apple's.

In all fairness, man, your original icon was like 90% similar to Apple's.

I won't lie my original one was but that was like 4 years ago. I changed it years ago to this flat design version with no gradients, shadows, torn pages etc.

qroZpQ6.png

who here have lumia phones ?
my father is searching for a phone
he really not very good with technology
i want something simple and durable

the andriod phones are not very stable , and not easy to use
i had HTC 8X WP8 for 2 year, and very rare i had to do restart for the device

i am thinking about lumia 535,any one tried it ?

I had a lumina 520, thought it was a very nice phone. Apps hardly ever crashed, I was sorta surprised when I got a moto g and it seemed less stable then Windows phone 8.

Wreav

Banned
I won't lie my original one was but that was like 4 years ago. I changed it years ago to this flat design version with no gradients, shadows, torn pages etc.

At the size of a phone screen (and this is being pretty generous), they look almost identical. 6 horizontal lines, the double vertical lines that match up almost perfectly, the same framing and composition of the pad...I think Apple did what they had to do to protect a trademark, pure and simple.

Apple
icon_ipad-notes.jpg

Yours
U7aQQHv.png

I could definitely see a granny getting some brand confusion.

Lesson learned, unfortunately, at the cost of some nice revenue.

Wreav

Banned
Anyways, can we talk about how awesome copying images/gifs into your hangout convos is on iOS and how Android doesn't have this feature.

Googy's bestdevs are crushing it. Totally shaking up the Hangout game.

BraXzy

I think I'm going to be upgrading to an LG G3.. Does it need a case? Screen protector?

If so, which are considered the best ones?

reKon

Banned
Anyways, can we talk about how awesome copying images/gifs into your hangout convos is on iOS and how Android doesn't have this feature.

Googy's bestdevs are crushing it. Totally shaking up the Hangout game.

what the fuck?

COME ON GOOGLE...

MercuryLS

Banned
How is Hangouts for video chats compared to Skype? I don't have an iPhone anymore so I can't use FaceTime with my sis anymore. Skype is really not very good unless I have a strong wifi connection, it sucks over data.

manfestival

I am really starting to get excited about receiving my s6. The moto g is a good phone but I have been dying for a fluid experience where lag is miniscule

MercuryLS

Banned
I am really starting to get excited about receiving my s6. The moto g is a good phone but I have been dying for a fluid experience where lag is miniscule

That's a pretty massive upgrade. I'm going from the Oneplus One to the S6. I'm excited to have a smaller device again, this thing is just too big and drives me nuts.

Wreav

Banned
wait, according to this:

http://thenextweb.com/google/2013/1...s-location-sharing-animated-gifs-sms-support/

hangouts does have gif support...

is it the actual picture you need to send then and it will animate? It would be nice if direct links would animate

That's if you have the GIF downloaded to your phone, and way too many steps (yet the only way to do it on Android).

On iOS, long press GIF in browser, hit "copy" from dialogue box, go back to chat, long press chat box, hit paste. GIF is instantly embedded in chat, and animates.

This workflow only pastes the image url into the Android version of Hangouts. Awful. Best solution would be if an image type link is detected, embed automatically, but don't upload to Google's Photos album.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
who here have lumia phones ?
my father is searching for a phone
he really not very good with technology
i want something simple and durable

the andriod phones are not very stable , and not easy to use
i had HTC 8X WP8 for 2 year, and very rare i had to do restart for the device

i am thinking about lumia 535,any one tried it ?

A lumia would be great for that. You can easily set up the home screen to be simple to use, including putting contacts directly on there and you can see if one of them has called/texted with notification badges on the icons. And using larger icons for email etc lets you read messages without even opening the mail clients.

And the 5xx are dirt cheap but still responsive.

Talon

How is Hangouts for video chats compared to Skype? I don't have an iPhone anymore so I can't use FaceTime with my sis anymore. Skype is really not very good unless I have a strong wifi connection, it sucks over data.
It's hot garbage. We use GApps at work, and we constantly bitch about it. Skype is way better.

Hangouts is fantastic. I use it everyday to conference for our morning meeting. Dont listen to the naysayers. Its been absolutely flawless as of late.

Hangout video sucks butts on all platforms.

When was the last time you you did a video hangout in a web browser and/or on android?

It's hot garbage. We use GApps at work, and we constantly bitch about it. Skype is way better.

9 months ago we specifically chose hangouts over skype because the quality of skype was absolute shit on a less than perfect upload speed.

manfestival

That's a pretty massive upgrade. I'm going from the Oneplus One to the S6. I'm excited to have a smaller device again, this thing is just too big and drives me nuts.

is size really the only issue that is making you switch phones? The one+ seems like it is a fantastic phone and fairly future proof

MercuryLS

Banned
is size really the only issue that is making you switch phones? The one+ seems like it is a fantastic phone and fairly future proof

Well it's that and the design and other features of the S6. OPO is solid for a plastic backed phone, but I prefer something made of metal or metal and glass. I also like the extras like wireless charging, fingerprint security and software features like multi-screened mode. But size, weight and shape being more in line with what I want with the S6 are the biggest factors.

That's if you have the GIF downloaded to your phone, and way too many steps (yet the only way to do it on Android).

On iOS, long press GIF in browser, hit "copy" from dialogue box, go back to chat, long press chat box, hit paste. GIF is instantly embedded in chat, and animates.

This workflow only pastes the image url into the Android version of Hangouts. Awful. Best solution would be if an image type link is detected, embed automatically, but don't upload to Google's Photos album.
In Firefox, you can long tap and share any image to Hangouts.

i dunno why people continue to defend iVerge.

all of the 'but...' in the world matters for naught when at the end of the day, their editorial content is obviously biased against everyone except the chosen one.

Talon

9 months ago we specifically chose hangouts over skype because the quality of skype was absolute shit on a less than perfect upload speed.
We're a GV-funded startup, so we use GApps by default. Hangouts' video quality is so bad that we wind up using GoToMeeting, and I know we're not the only GV startup that's doing that.

The biggest fucking complaint is why the interface for screensharing is so shitty. Literally 1/5 of the screen real estate is taken up by black space because the area for sharing is a window instead of being fullscreen. What. The. Fuck?

We're a GV-funded startup, so we use GApps by default. Hangouts' video quality is so bad that we wind up using GoToMeeting, and I know we're not the only GV startup that's doing that.

The biggest fucking complaint is why the interface for screensharing is so shitty. Literally 1/5 of the screen real estate is taken up by black space because the area for sharing is a window instead of being fullscreen. What. The. Fuck?

I administered google apps at my previous gig. Hangouts was consistently more solid than Skype with our connection. Also as I said above I use hangouts for every morning meeting at my current job and it has been very good considering one of the remote employees is on DSL..

Screen sharing using hangouts is stupid and not sure why you would bother since it is an afterthought. Use teamviewer for that it is much better than gotomeeting. Regardless screen sharing has nothing to do with the OP's needs.

Jigolo

Just visited the verge for the first time in a loooong time.

ublocker blocked over 530 ads and it was going to keep rising but I closed the tab, is this normal for that site now?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It's been down this year but before they removed the app off Google Play around $400 a day past couple months. After removal around $280 or say a day. Now probably next to nothing..maybe a couple bucks a day. I'm just relying on the other apps I have up but that won't be much. Definitely can't live off of it. That app they removed was so much time I put in man. I'm just one person not some big company that afford that loss. I've since removed anything Apple can possibly complain about and reuploaded as a different package but I doubt it will ever get there again. If anything I just reuploaded so all the existing users can redownload the app and use it because many people have emailed me and said they love the app so I just did it for them...that is if they can find it on Google Play since it seems search relies upon upon ratings/reviews. New apps are hard to find. Kinda sucks because I'm getting lots of emails from users about moving to new devices and I can't download anymore and I have to tell them what happened and where to download...sigh
Sorry to hear. That's crushing. It's tough using someone else's business to build yours.

reKon

Banned
http://www.wsj.com/articles/samsung-galaxy-s6-review-the-iphone-6-has-met-its-match-1427825674

Another test showing s6 battery outlasts iPhone 6. I am guessing in real world use i6 lasts longer but in non stop use s6 lasts longer.

Edit: Another http://www.tomsguide.com/us/samsung-galaxy-s6-edge,review-2711.html

God that first first review was fucking annoying

Anyways, I think that Galaxy S6 battery will be fine. The disappointing thing here is that it could have been better. Comparing to the iPhone 6 doesn't mean much to me either because the iPhone's could use improvement too.

Hangouts is fantastic. I use it everyday to conference for our morning meeting. Dont listen to the naysayers. Its been absolutely flawless as of late.

When was the last time you you did a video hangout in a web browser and/or on android?

Agreed. I work remotely and use hangouts every day to communicate with co-workers. Its great.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
ah, thank you blessed smart lock. Really its the only thing I wanted from lollipop along with notifications on the lock screen - my work exchange setup disabled lock screen widgets and forced PIN lock.

That crap has basically stopped working for me. It unlocks my phone at work, but not at home anymore. If I delete and readd the location it seems to work for a bit (but only if I add a custom one, the designated "home" address from Maps doesn't work at all), but then when I get home from work the next day it's broken again.

I generally love Lollipop, but some of it is just a buggy mess (although I've read speculation that these Smart Lock issues are caused by a recent Play Services update rather than L itself).

Groof

Smart location lock is the jankiest shit. I've never had it work properly for more than 30 minutes. On body works as advertised though but barely makes sense to use.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That crap has basically stopped working for me. It unlocks my phone at work, but not at home anymore. If I delete and readd the location it seems to work for a bit (but only if I add a custom one, the designated "home" address from Maps doesn't work at all), but then when I get home from work the next day it's broken again.

I generally love Lollipop, but some of it is just a buggy mess (although I've read speculation that these Smart Lock issues are caused by a recent Play Services update rather than L itself).

It worked fine on my nexus4 - didn't try location but connected to my watch it was perfect. On the xperia it just doesn't work. I tried removing my exchange account and then it did work (glowing unlocked padlock icon on the lock screen). Had to restart the phone but even with PIN lock set it was unlocked. So it looks like it only does it when something forces PIN lock like an exchange account. nexus 4 still worked in that situation.

Seriously, how do you not test that - Sony sell smart watches, you'd think they'd check it.

Smart location lock is the jankiest shit. I've never had it work properly for more than 30 minutes. On body works as advertised though but barely makes sense to use.

I was pretty happy with the feature.
Until the FFC started to weird out on me and randomly stopped working every now and then, rendering the face detection useless.
Or until it stopped working work at home.

The hype was real, though.

I was pretty happy with the feature.
Until the FFC started to weird out on me and randomly stopped working every now and then, rendering the face detection useless.
Or until it stopped working work at home.

The hype was real, though.

Android |OT| The hype was real, though.

CronoShot

Does anyone know if you can turn off s-voice and map google search/now to the home button on the s6?

Well the double tap that used to be for S-Voice opens the camera now. And on mine at least, holding down the home button goes to Google Now. But I have S-Voice disabled.

So to answer your question, yes.

At the size of a phone screen (and this is being pretty generous), they look almost identical. 6 horizontal lines, the double vertical lines that match up almost perfectly, the same framing and composition of the pad...I think Apple did what they had to do to protect a trademark, pure and simple.

Apple
icon_ipad-notes.jpg

Yours
U7aQQHv.png

I could definitely see a granny getting some brand confusion.

Lesson learned, unfortunately, at the cost of some nice revenue.

that shit is Better Call Saul bootleg HMM billboard status

AndyD

aka andydumi

It stops after 4 hours by design. I still find that Llama works better for location unlock though. That app has been working well for years now with minimal updates.

But I still need an app to turn off screen, without locking it. So I can use double tap in Nova.

Top Bottom