• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

terrier

Not sure why it took this long for Samsung to be on par with Apple in this department.

On the other hand Nexus devices will never have a God Tier camera.

The note 4 is already above iphone camera and was released at the same time as Iphone6/6+, the s5 and other android phones are also above iphone 5 according to dxomark, including a nexus device.

But i guess people still think we are in 2012

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So apparantly iMessage is enough to keep people in the apple ecosystem. I'm going to read up on it more because I don't understand what's so special vs using email/sms/what's app/some other messenger. Is it the linking in with macs? Does it even work on windows?

What is the best alternative for android? Never used hangouts, just normally use whatsapp and sms/email. Pushbullet lets me see sms messages in my computer which is handy.

Hasney

So apparantly iMessage is enough to keep people in the apple ecosystem. I'm going to read up on it more because I don't understand what's so special vs using email/sms/what's app/some other messenger. Is it the linking in with macs? Does it even work on windows?

What is the best alternative for android? Never used hangouts, just normally use whatsapp and sms/email. Pushbullet lets me see sms messages in my computer which is handy.

iMessage is just seamless which is why people like it. If the person can receive them, the SMS client will switch to it but in terms of function, it works just like Whatsapp.

Hangouts was supposed to do the same, which is why they added SMS support. Unfortunately, the app is such an amount of shit they had to get a Lollipop SMS client which thankfully is glorious if you just want to use SMS.

Toki767

I think it's more just the ease of use. Don't have to think about whether you're texting someone or sending through iMessage. It just does it for you.

Plus most people don't pay for text messages.

Mindwipe

iMessage is popular in the US because it's like free SMS.

But SMS is effectively free for everyone else, so it's pretty shit.

Saiyan-Rox

Imessage is something Google could result replicate... Not sure why they haven't

They could do it easily with hangouts. put the functionality in it and actually update the hangouts app then change the policy on Custom android to force OEM to have hangouts as the default messenger app then there you go.

Cheebo

Banned

you really can't use an alternative to it. The reason it is so widely used it is automatic. iPhones always auto use iMessage when texting an iPhone. Meaning if you use a iPhone and next a iPhone user the texts will transmit much quicker, image and video will be much higher quality, group chat wil function better, etc then when you text an android user. The appeal is it is seamless. The app you text to the unaware just automatically works better when messaging an iPhone due to the behind the scenes iMessage implementation. You don't have to use a separate app, or choose to switch to iMessage, log in to anything, etc.

Google could replicate this by making android always switch to hangouts chat seamlessly without telling you when you try sms'ing someone with a google account. It is confusing to me they haven't done this yet

iMessage is popular in the US because it's like free SMS.

But SMS is effectively free for everyone else, so it's pretty shit.
Has nothing to do with it being free. Most pay for unlimited text. It's just that iMessage is a quicker and more realiable than SMS. Whenever I bounce back to a android phone since I switch between the two every other contract the first thing I always notice now is "wow, I forgot just how shitty SMS is". It is difficult to use SMS when you get used iMessage.

Hasney

They could do it easily with hangouts. put the functionality in it and actually update the hangouts app then change the policy on Custom android to force OEM to have hangouts as the default messenger app then there you go.

And make the app actually tolerable. Fuck using it in its current state.

You guys seen the new Android Wear video showing wrist navigation? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R0qbB4hVbU

This is so stupid xD

I like that actually. If my hand is full, I have another option to go through cards. It's a good thing and can be turned off if you don't like it.

Saiyan-Rox

And make the app actually tolerable. Fuck using it in its current state.

Oh defiantly they really need to update the app from the ground up and actually make it useful but it can be done if Google actually work on it.

I like that actually. If my hand is full, I have another option to go through cards. It's a good thing and can be turned off if you don't like it.

Its the way they're making it work. Fast to slow for down scroll slow then fast for up scroll that'll do peoples heads in I think

terrier

SMS are not free here in spain in most cases, so i do not see as a good idea an app that changes to sms when data is not available . I'd rather have separate apps for separate services. And do not know if imessage also uses MMS but those are really expensive here.
That said google should tie Hangouts to your phone number, that is what made Whatsapp the 'default' messaging app here, that and being multiplatform (yes google, you should be on Windows phone too) . They could have done it before but choose to use email adress and G+ by default.
I guess it depends a lot on each territory specifics though.

Yeah I really like imessage and it does become pretty apparent when you don't get to use it anymore how much better it is than regular sms. And it does it all really unobtrusively. It's not a perfect service as it has a chance of causing some issues for switchers but that's not nearly enough to offset the benefits of actually using it I find.

Hasney

G4 reveal is in 4 hours. I'll be too busy at work but that should be interesting.

Still holding out the slim, pointless hope of an R Watch 2. Really doubtful with the Urbane and the Urbane LTE coming out.

EDIT: I turned iMessage off pretty quick on my iPhone, but I don't do any multimedia sending on my messages anyway.

Saiyan-Rox

Still holding out the slim, pointless hope of an R Watch 2. Really doubtful with the Urbane and the Urbane LTE coming out.

EDIT: I turned iMessage off pretty quick on my iPhone, but I don't do any multimedia sending on my messages anyway.

I can see another G watch today as they just removed the first one form the play store.

I've only used an Iphone once and also never used Imessage but I can see how it can be very useful. my Carrier doesn't allow me to send MMS messages so no pictures or anything which really sucks so I would love google to focus on making hangouts as much like Imessage as possible.

Hasney

I can see another G watch today as they just removed the first one from the Play store

Ooo, and since the R is just a G but actually nice looking, we'll at least get a glimpse of what the future holds. Hell, they might even make the first good looking square smartwatch!

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
First-LG-G4-unboxing-shots.jpg

First-LG-G4-unboxing-shots.jpg

Love how Korean variants get 2 batteries and a charging station

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
iMessage is really convenient, especially when the person you're texting doesn't always have data.

However, it's not a deal breaker(or maker) for the iPhone for me IMO

I always laugh when people point out iMessage as the reason they're sticking with the iPhone.

Saiyan-Rox

Ooo, and since the R is just a G but actually nice looking, we'll at least get a glimpse of what the future holds. Hell, they might even make the first good looking square smartwatch!

I will always lean towards the circle display for a smarthwatch but Google on the other hand don't seem to care as the notification cards still don't fit well on the damn screen.

Also damn that leather G4 is awful

rossonero

iMessage is really convenient, especially when the person you're texting doesn't always have data.

I always laugh when people point out iMessage as the reason they're sticking with the iPhone.

Everybody is using either Facebook or Whatsapp here. I don't even remember when I got an SMS last time, except from my mom. That reminds me that I have to install Whatsapp for her.

Hasney

I will always lean towards the circle display for a smarthwatch but Google on the other hand don't seem to care as the notification cards still don't fit well on the damn screen.

Also damn that leather G4 is awful

I get what Google and Apple are doing, the square form factor is much more functional. But goddamn if the G Watch R/Urbane and 360 aren't far sexier.

Cheebo

Banned
It is interesting no universal chat app took off in US. What's App isn't really used much here at all. Pretty much to chat Android users typically use SMS, iOS users typically use iMessage.

Wreav

Banned

First thing I do on a new iPhone is turn iMessage off.

Saiyan-Rox

I get what Google and Apple are doing, the square form factor is much more functional. But goddamn if the G Watch R/Urbane and 360 aren't far sexier.

The square screens are yeah but if you're going to allow companies to create round screens at least have you're software upto scratch for both square and round screens. I'm hoping this new android wear update fixes those issues but I can't see it happening.

Hasney

The square screens are yeah but if you're going to allow companies to create round screens at least have you're software upto scratch for both square and round screens. I'm hoping this new android wear update fixes those issues but I can't see it happening.

If it doesn't get brought up at I/O like what they're working towards, then I'll be worried. They'll have sales data about which watches are the most popular, so I'm sure they'll make a call on where their efforts are going.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If it doesn't get brought up at I/O like what they're working towards, then I'll be worried. They'll have sales data about which watches are the most popular, so I'm sure they'll make a call on where their efforts are going.

next zenwatch is next year now. Urbane just coming out suggests they won't dramatically change the form factor with a slimmer/smaller GWR this year either.

Maybe they'll take some time to see what Apple Watch is doing to get so much smaller and work out how to implement an equivalent to the taptic engine, then come back next year with better devices?

Saiyan-Rox

I've got high hopes for I/O this year on software but I know those hopes won't get anywhere. I returned my Nexus player because of that video playback problem that Google didn't fix with 5.1 or 5.1.1. I want to see fixes for Lollipop all over the board and to see what they;ve got planned for wear.

I'd also really like to see what they've got planned for Chrome OS but as it stands they still haven't launched the on screen notification sync from your phone to the desktop which they said last year they would have.

Hasney

Been reading about the Urbane LTE and it's pretty cool, just not sure about the LG software. LTE, 1 GB RAM, bigger battery and NFC payments as well as pairing with any Android for notifications could be cool if it all works though.

EDIT: It's a write off unless this dude has tiny wrists. Good fucking god that's bulky.

lg-watch-urbane-mwc-2015-31.jpg

lg-watch-urbane-mwc-2015-34.jpg

reKon

Banned
CM Browser is very nice.. Trying it for the first time on my phone. It wasn't compatible with the Nexus 7 for some reason

Been reading about the Urbane LTE and it's pretty cool, just not sure about the LG software. LTE, 1 GB RAM, bigger battery and NFC payments as well as pairing with any Android for notifications could be cool if it all works though.

EDIT: It's a write off unless this dude has tiny wrists. Good fucking god that's bulky.

lg-watch-urbane-mwc-2015-31.jpg

lg-watch-urbane-mwc-2015-34.jpg

that shit looks janky as hell. I was remotely interested but now I'm def not. Way too big

Saiyan-Rox

LG G4 is launching with 4.4.2 lol.

Just thought that was amusing. They were like fuuuuck that.

So that webpage a while back was true? Wth LG xD

I did and it was nice but occasionally I had to wait for the keyboard to load with a nice loading screen where the keyboard should be.

Hasney

There has to be no way G4 is launching on KitKat. 64 bit CPU and the G3 has it, but not the 4? That has to be based on that site leak.

If it does, the amount of shit I gave the M9 will seem like mild teasing compared to this if it's ever mentioned.

Yeah probably will be 5.1 Other than the fact that the phone is slightly bigger in each dimension it seems like a good phone.

Will likely have good battery life, a great camera, etc...I think it's enough to put in the W column for 2015. HTC occupying the only L so far. Sony rocking a temporary L as well but we'll have to see if their true flagship is coming.

Top Bottom