• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

i was gonna drop 1K

then Sam was like "whoa, wait a minute, here's $425 off" lol

Too bad my newest Note was the 4. So I couldn't get in on that offer. Oh well.

But fuck it, I don't want to return the Ocho now. It's a rare KR 256 GB Deep Sea Blue Ocho. Such devices do not exist in North America. No one will know how amazing it is that I have the Blue Ocho but I will.

I'll either learn to love the curved screen or want to smash the phone against the wall after a month. Either way, good use of a whole fucking lot of money.

I guess I just return the dumb Moto phone instead. I didn't even open the box.

So I bought a $230 Moto G5S Plus. My first time feeding below the top shelf pretty much ever. Let's see what the cheap Androids are like these days.

Strangely enough, this means for some reason I've come back to Motorola. My very first Android was a Motorola Droid X many years ago now. A lot has happened since then, now they are Lenovo and just make phones as Google holds all of the old patents they had.
I've been using the Moto Z Play for the last few days ($350 phone these days) coming off a S7 Edge and it's been going really well so far.

Pros: Fingerprint sensor works way faster and easier to trigger than S7's, Moto Voice and Gestures are genuinely useful features that I'll use on a regular basis, battery life is quite a bit better (and if I get a battery Moto Mod it'll double it), a front facing speaker is so much better than a bottom firing one, and having a flat screen again is really nice.

Cons: With the on-screen buttons I lose a decent chunk of vertical screen usage compared to the S7 Edge, the lack of LED notification light is bugging me more than I thought it would (and there's no always-on screen to compensate), it's quite a bit heavier than the S7 Edge (but the better battery is worth it so far), the top/bottom bezels are bigger and with the extra on-screen nav buttons and heavier weight it makes it harder to one-hand so far. The Z Play isn't waterproof and has a worse camera, but neither of those are big deals for me.

I tried an app that makes a strobbing dot on the OLED screen to replicate an LED, but I had it running overnight and it sucked down a lot of battery life and it was warm when I woke up. If I root the Z Play I think I can make the charging LED work for notifications and maybe hide the on-screen nav buttons if they keep bugging me.

Jeffrey

No android phone is worth a grand. $200-300 is enough for a smooth experience. Probably get you a dual camera system too these days. Don't expect timely updates regardless,besides Google which the update will probably kill your battery or Bluetooth or something.

Cheaper phonw also probably got a headphone jack too!

You can find a pixel XL unlocked for around $400 in mint or new condition. That's probably a better buy than a xl2 unless you don't mind losing $300 a year to have the newest.

But fuck it, I don't want to return the Ocho now. It's a rare KR 256 GB Deep Sea Blue Ocho. Such devices do not exist in North America. No one will know how amazing it is that I have the Blue Ocho but I will.

I'll either learn to love the curved screen or want to smash the phone against the wall after a month. Either way, good use of a whole fucking lot of money.

i copped a Swappa burner for the low low to trade in.

NeOak

I mean, No one knew I had a Dell Venue Pro Unlocked for AT&T (pretty much an unicorn phone), but I knew.

Furyous

Ridiculous pricing. I'm not against premium pricing at all but I feel like you need to justify it somehow. These are almost iPhone X prices yet lack state of the art face ID cameras, edge to edge OLED design, dual cams (with OIS in both), 3D Touch/taptic/etc..., A11, bigger battery in the same size phone as the 7 basically, etc...

Where is this extra cost coming from exactly. The storage jump? Again I actually like the idea of a premium tier of smartphones but they need to be truly premium. Whether you like what the X offers or not, hard to deny they tried to pack it with a lot of high tech shit to cover the cost as much as possible. Even the Note 8 is more justified in its price than this with the dual cams, S pen functionality, etc... (or is that it?). Either way it has SOMETHING. This is just a bog standard flagship. It's a goddamn LG G6 at some cray price.

Almost? 949 with tax is $1000 and above in most states. This lacks wireless charging amongst other things so Google needs justifications on deck. An LG G6 without the full camera and lack of microsd support at that.

This war on bezels has to stop as every device looks the same. Only sticking point is the bezels on the Pixel look about one to one point five inches. Consumers wind up complaining later on as devices miss notification lights etc.

I mean, No one knew I had a Dell Venue Pro Unlocked for AT&T (pretty much an unicorn phone), but I knew.

You know, maybe I'll return the Ocho. I'm trying to justify the cost of the thing to myself and I'm really not being able to do it. At this price if the phone's literally not perfect for me in every way it's not justifiable. I'm not putting up with even the tiniest flaw when the phone costs more than a grand.

But apparently the Moto phone's Snapdragon 625 is pretty bad for games. So that's going back too. Now I'm once again looking to be phone-less. Well I mean I still have the Note 4 but damn it's gotten old and feels so laggy. Also I think the battery is dying on it because sometimes it hits 25% and just shuts off. I could buy a battery for it but it's so hard to justify doing that when I want to just get a new phone.

It's not an exaggeration to say that there will probably never be another phone with the feature set of the Note 4. Too bad Note 4 will never get past Marshmallow and the Snapdragon 805 is such a piece of shit anyways which overheats if you play any game longer than 30 seconds.

NEO0MJ

So, any news on when the LG V30 will be released outside the US and South Korea? Tried looking up information online but couldn't find anything helpful.

Almost? 949 with tax is $1000 and above in most states. This lacks wireless charging amongst other things so Google needs justifications on deck. An LG G6 without the full camera and lack of microsd support at that.

This war on bezels has to stop as every device looks the same. Only sticking point is the bezels on the Pixel look about one to one point five inches. Consumers wind up complaining later on as devices miss notification lights etc.

I don't mind if the phones all look alike really. Especially if it will help them focus on innovating the hardware that's already there whether it's on the CPU side (even if Qualcomm sucks) or the camera/sensor side. Or just then quality of materials etc... and especially more focus on software and optimization. I'm cool with those being the focus going forward once everyone reaches the point where they have similar designs.

Jeffrey

Still a timing problem. If I get lucky and get a iPhone x, no way I'm spending another grand for a pixel XL.

I'm gonna bet there's gonna be some interesting deals on note 8 in November as well.

You know, maybe I'll return the Ocho. I'm trying to justify the cost of the thing to myself and I'm really not being able to do it. At this price if the phone's literally not perfect for me in every way it's not justifiable. I'm not putting up with even the tiniest flaw when the phone costs more than a grand.

But apparently the Moto phone's Snapdragon 625 is pretty bad for games. So that's going back too. Now I'm once again looking to be phone-less. Well I mean I still have the Note 4 but damn it's gotten old and feels so laggy. Also I think the battery is dying on it because sometimes it hits 25% and just shuts off. I could buy a battery for it but it's so hard to justify doing that when I want to just get a new phone.

It's not an exaggeration to say that there will probably never be another phone with the feature set of the Note 4. Too bad Note 4 will never get past Marshmallow and the Snapdragon 805 is such a piece of shit anyways which overheats if you play any game longer than 30 seconds.

Find a cheap op3t. Performance is still great.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
625 isn't outright terrible GPU wise, but no it's not the greatest for games. I mean I spent s bunch of hours on the Nexus 7 playing Hearthstone and other random games though so performance on any of the newer 600 chips is better than that. Lol

You're boned though as GPU performance is the #1 thing skimped on for non 800 series or Kirin 900 or insert chip here equivalents.

MarkusRJR

What's the deal with the large increases in flagship pricing? I feel like everything is so much more expensive. Hell, even tablets are getting insanely priced now. The Galaxy Tab S3 is priced $800 Canadian and it doesn't even come with the keyboard.

What's the deal with the large increases in flagship pricing? I feel like everything is so much more expensive. Hell, even tablets are getting insanely priced now. The Galaxy Tab S3 is priced $800 Canadian and it doesn't even come with the keyboard.

Some costs have gone up, like displays and memory, but in essence people are willing to pay no matter the price.

Then of course some things are still perceived as "premium", like 128gb of storage or dual camera system, so bump up the price on that as well.

Jeffrey

Prices haven't changed too much besides the iPhone outlier.

Mostly they been trimming down the memory options without really passing down any savings. Base storage now is 64gb for most stuff.

Vanillalite

Prices haven't changed too much besides the iPhone outlier.

Mostly they been trimming down the memory options without really passing down any savings. Base storage now is 64gb for most stuff.

This. Phone wise pricing hasn't gone up THAT much. I mean you can get a Galaxy S8+ or G6 for a decent price right now. Note was always a hair more expensive than the regular Galaxy. iPhone X is sorta an outlier here. Obviously the Pixel isn't cheap, but we've know that since it's not a "Nexus" phone.

I'll agree with you on Android tablets though. Apple shitting all over the Android space with the base level iPad in terms of size, screen, speed, features, and price. Samsung off their rocker for what they want for a Tab S3, and the iPad pricing makes it hard for cheap Android tablets to compete.

NEO0MJ

Heard November for euroland

Crap. I'm in the Middle East and I imagine we'll be following you. I really need to replace my Moto G4 since the battery has gone to crap and no place here has replacements. Might go for the Galaxy 8 or the Note if I'm feeling extra spendy.

Thanks for responding.

I fucking hate Samsung so much, I had a Note 8 and fell in love with everything about it but that damn fingerprint scanner. It was hard enough for me to reach in a GS8 and the Note 8 size made it virtually useless so I had to return it.

Everything about it was better than the gs8 but that damn scanner.

I fucking hate Samsung so much, I had a Note 8 and fell in love with everything about it but that damn fingerprint scanner. It was hard enough for me to reach in a GS8 and the Note 8 size made it virtually useless so I had to return it.

Everything about it was better than the gs8 but that damn scanner.

I've managed to get used to it pretty quickly...but it's certainly not a seamless user experience. Annoying.

Face unlock doesn't work as smoothly as people have suggested either - at least for me.

Not enough for it to really bother me but it's a clear shortcoming in the design and one that it so easy to fix.

I've managed to get used to it pretty quickly...but it's certainly not a seamless user experience. Annoying.

Face unlock doesn't work as smoothly as people have suggested either - at least for me.

Not enough for it to really bother me but it's a clear shortcoming in the design and one that it so easy to fix.

I got small hands to begin with, I had to hold the phone like I had lobster claws for hands just to use it. It’s a real shame though I wanted to love this phone.

NeOak

At that price? Yeah, if you aren't 100% happy with it, I would not keep it either.

I like the S8+. I'd prefer the S8 Active but that was not out when I had to get a new phone. I would get the Blackberry KeyONE instead if AT&T allowed Wi-Fi calling on it, but oh well.

They shipped my pixel today...I'm probably just gonna keep it and get the pixel 3 next year. No need to make the switch now. We'll see though

Jeffrey

Dang. Leeco pro 3 is now $200 lol. Still a pretty sick phone for the specs at the price of a moto G5.

Just flash lineage on it.

Vanillalite

Honestly I just use my pin on the S8+. That being said my previous phone the G3 didn't have a fingerprint scanner either.

A better placement would be nice, but I'm just so used to the pin it isn't a big deal breaker?

Psst...
DLOEA44WsAApTF0.jpg:large

Jeffrey

Oh op5 got a fairly meaty update. Sept security. Fast app loads. Fix the audio desync issue on YouTube and other stuff.

Not shabby.

Still one of the only companies that put out details about updates and what they do.

Jeffrey

Oneplus 5 been the longest android phone I've kept this year. Feel like every upcoming phone has a huge compromise in a way or another, also will cost me at least $500 more bucks.

Wish there was a dash charging power pack. That's about it. It takes great outdoors photos imo. Don't really notice the huge bezels coming from s8+.

Oh Dx0 for note 8 is 94. The war continues.

LifeLike

Played with the xz1 and xz1c, and i say they look much better in person! Very slim, very light, yet structurally sound. The black color have a nice mix of shiny matte and sparkling gloss, best described as premium looking, not cheapy piano gloss.

As for the bezels, trust me, you won't notice them after awhile. The curve sides and slimness negate the bezels, which already are not overbearing and looks part of the design language. Most comfy sony phones yet.

Oh the 3d scanning is snappier than i expected, like you won't think this is version 1! It works as fast as taking panaroma photos! Though running it on a11 may give it more freedom.

Only lol thing is that xz1 using the same battery as xz1c, 2700mah. LOL!

I just bought the XZ! Compact and it's a beautiful premium phone in a small body. Sony did correct all the issues the Z3 compact had. I was even able to sell my Z3C for 150$ after 3 years... The 6.0 Android Custom OS of Sony on the Z3C was still extremely snappy and responsive after 3 years old.

Oneplus 5 been the longest android phone I've kept this year. Feel like every upcoming phone has a huge compromise in a way or another, also will cost me at least $500 more bucks.

Wish there was a dash charging power pack. That's about it. It takes great outdoors photos imo. Don't really notice the huge bezels coming from s8+.

Oh Dx0 for note 8 is 94. The war continues.

I have a Pixel XL and OnePlus 5 now. Forgot how hot phones that aren't the OnePlus 5 get. If only OnePlus put a 1440p screen on it... Battery is still beastly on it too. Deciding if I should keep the Pixel XL or OnePlus 5 now.

Jeffrey

I have a Pixel XL and OnePlus 5 now. Forgot how hot phones that aren't the OnePlus 5 get. If only OnePlus put a 1440p screen on it... Battery is still beastly on it too. Deciding if I should keep the Pixel XL or OnePlus 5 now.
How is the pixel doing? Heard oreo is pretty buggy which isn't surprising. Google will always treat their stuff as betas even when they jack up the price.

How is the pixel doing? Heard oreo is pretty buggy which isn't surprising. Google will always treat their stuff as betas even when they jack up the price.

It's fine. I haven't really tried to use it for an alarm so I don't know if that bug still exists that I read about before. Miss the blob emojis. Otherwise no big difference between this and nougat unless you care about split screen. Google desperately needs a dark mode. Google finally lets you put the battery percentage in the status bar!

Jeffrey

It's fine. I haven't really tried to use it for an alarm so I don't know if that bug still exists that I read about before. Miss the blob emojis. Otherwise no big difference between this and nougat unless you care about split screen. Google desperately needs a dark mode. Google finally lets you put the battery percentage in the status bar!
Didn't they go the opposite and made like the notification shortcuts white lol.

Didn't they go the opposite and made like the notification shortcuts white lol.

Yeah I was gonna mention that. The notification/toggle drop down is white now. Not good, but I guess it matches the rest of their ui better now. A dark mode would be so great. It's been in beta android versions before so I don't understand their hesitation to giving people the option. Android at this point has progressed so far that there aren't really many noticeable changes they can make so versions start blending together.

Top Bottom