• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

It is pretty disheartening how expensive Google's products are becoming. The Google Home Max is $400 which makes it more expensive than the Homepod or the new Sonos One Alexa speaker. The PixelBook starts at $1,000 which puts it in a price range comparable to the Surface Pro, Surface Laptop and Macbook lineup. Even the Pixel Buds they announced at $159 are pretty expensive compared to other wireless headphones although the software might make the gap worth it.

Also, I just noticed there's no more wearable section of the Google Store. Before the conference the LG Watch Style and LG Watch Sport were no longer available, but now they've just phased wearable out entirely.

We looking at the new battery life king fellas. Can't wait to get this bad boy in. Did a trade in for my pixel XL. It sucks they make you pay the full amount is front and I guess credit the trade in later?

It is pretty disheartening how expensive Google's products are becoming. The Google Home Max is $400 which makes it more expensive than the Homepod or the new Sonos One Alexa speaker. The PixelBook starts at $1,000 which puts it in a price range comparable to the Surface Pro, Surface Laptop and Macbook lineup. Even the Pixel Buds they announced at $159 are pretty expensive compared to other wireless headphones although the software might make the gap worth it.

Also, I just noticed there's no more wearable section of the Google Store. Before the conference the LG Watch Style and LG Watch Sport were no longer available, but now they've just phased wearable out entirely.

Frankly, I don't think a single thing in the conference justified its pricing. Like who the hell would pay $160 for those wired earbudz or $250 for a toy camera - I'm sorry - machine learning toy camera. $1,000 for a Chromebook makes the iPad Pro 10.5" look like good value.

Dimensions wise the Pixel XL 2 is pretty large although we already kind of knew that from the leaks. It is wider than any other bezel-less phone on the market including the Note 8 and S8+ which have larger displays. Height wise it is around the height of the iPhone 8 Plus although ever so slightly shorter.
https://www.phonearena.com/phones/s...e-8-Plus,Google-Pixel-2-XL/phones/10411,10568

Also, as it was suggested from the rumors the Pixel 2 is also ever so slightly taller but slightly not as wide.
https://www.phonearena.com/phones/size#/phones/size/Google-Pixel,Google-Pixel-2/phones/10264,10584

Can we cancel it before it ships guys?

Probably for a while. I just canceled the panda one for a black one because that's shipping like in a week ish.

It says you can. I threw in an order for the xl2 in Canada in black and white.

Says it's shipping December 18.

I have an S8+ but placed an impulse order for the Pixel XL Black 64GB. I was going to get the iPhone X(if I can get hands on it), so having seconds thoughts about this.

I hope I can cancel in the next few days if needed be. Mine is shipping between Oct 26-30.

Jeffrey

3250mah battery for the xl2. Hope oreo + sd835 optimization helps... Xl last year had top of the line battery performance.

My op5 has similar battery but less screen and lower resolution. Hmmm.

Frankly, I don't think a single thing in the conference justified its pricing. Like who the hell would pay $160 for those wired earbudz
When I first heard of them, i thought they'd be fully wireless buds like Apple's, but they're just like my current wireless Bose headphones (with the cable connecting them) that are cheaper than these and have an extra hour of battery life.

I think these do come with a charging case which does kinda justify the price a bit more (I got a mophie charging headphone case for like $30-40), so as long as these headphones sound good, are comfortable, and sweat/waterproof they could be decent.

Futureman

When I first heard of them, i thought they'd be fully wireless buds like Apple's, but they're just like my current wireless Bose headphones (with the cable connecting them) that are cheaper than these and have an extra hour of battery life.

I think these do come with a charging case which does kinda justify the price a bit more (I got a mophie charging headphone case for like $30-40), so as long as these headphones sound good, are comfortable, and sweat/waterproof they could be decent.

I really like their design (more then Apple's idea of having two tiny ear buds that aren't connected) but they do seem a bit pricey.

I feel like we've seen past surveys indicate that the majority of iPhone buyers just use the headphones in the box. Charging $650/$850 for a phone and not including headphones is cheap as fuck.

Futureman

I feel like we've seen past surveys indicate that the majority of iPhone buyers just use the headphones in the box. Charging $650/$850 for a phone and not including headphones is cheap as fuck.

yea this is pretty lame. I guess it comes with an adapter but I always like just using the new set of headphones that come with a phone. If there's not going to be a headphone jack, I'd rather NOT have to use the adapter and just use a pair of USB-C headphones like Apple gives you Lightning headphones.

Saiyan-Rox

New pixels will get 3 year support for updates

getting there google getting there.

Has it been said if current pixels will get the launcher and always on yet?

The Pixel 2 seems like a good competitor to the iPhone X. They're both pretty much at the top of their respective platforms as far as things like software and performance go. I expect one of them will have the best smartphone camera this year and the other will have the second best overall. They have a few things different between one another (Fingerprint Scanner vs FaceID, and Wireless Charging vs Stereo Front-Facing Speakers) and while the Pixel XL 2 is a lot larger it has a bigger display to compensate. The Pixel XL 2 is $150 cheaper which is great, but I feel like it is hard to say how good of a thing that actually is because in my opinion $850 is still a lot for a phone and if somebody is spending that much than the $150 more for the iPhone X isn't far out there.

The big issue the Pixel XL 2 faces is that unlike the iPhone X it has a dozen other phones it is forced to compete against (Namely the Galaxy S8). The Galaxy S8 is currently $625 which is over $200 cheaper than the Pixel 2 at Best Buy and is regularly on sale for around that price. It offers many things the Pixel XL 2 doesn't like a headphone jack, wireless charging, and stronger water resistance. It will be rough for Google to convince people why the Pixel XL 2 is worth getting over other Android phones which is the same issue they had last year.

Con_Smith

Banned
Was debating after today if the Pixel XL2 is worth it versus the op5. Even though the bezel is smaller, think I may just take the plunge on a one plus until the price comes down, grab an xl2 when it's cheaper next year and trade up to an xl3 by holidays.

yay or nay droidgaf?

Gotta add a new line though. Those promotions are always annoying to figure out how to take advantage of.

Blah didn't see the new line requirement. With Pixel 1 they let me add it to my account and get the discount. Hopefully the same happens here again.

LogicStep

i want to pull the trigger but not at the same time

it's going to give me $155 for my 6P or i could waste time trying to swappa it for $200
I know how you feel. But my Nexus 6 is on its last days and I really liked everything they showed off. I say trade it in for no hassle.

I'm feeling a bit of buyers remorse because it is a lot of money. But I'm trying to tell myself it'll be worth it. I'm also thinking of it more as a really good camera since I'm lacking that. Plus all the extras and I'll look into daydream.

Welp Google just charged me for those pixel returns I sent off weeks ago, despite them being at their warehouse, they had to give me one last Fuck you I guess.

gagecube

Banned
Does anyone who owns a note 8 get a random moisture detected notification? This phone hasn't seen water and it's not really humid or anything today. I restarted and it went away for now but now when charging it says "cable charging" and I'm pretty sure it said fast charging before

Kevyt

What is this Dual Pixel camera tech?

Also, the pixels in the sensor are smaller? 1.4μm vs. 1.55μm?

Wut...

GxOoBMg.png

Top Bottom