• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

Blizzard

Banned
Dark Castle and Beyond Dark Castle were pretty awesome (especially Beyond Dark Castle). The sound effects were funny. I only ever played the black and white Mac versions though.

He tried to say, out of Nerd character, he doesn't really know the Konami code. His life has been heavily focused on doing video game reviews for the past few years, and he isn't sure about the Konami code. Uh huh.

Still a nice video.

He's really big on Halloween, so I'm kinda bummed he only did 1 video for it, and a short one, and not that interesting of a game. Bummer. Hope he does something big for Christmas like always.

brianmcdoogle said:
He's really big on Halloween, so I'm kinda bummed he only did 1 video for it, and a short one, and not that interesting of a game.

To be fair, he tends to have his hands full in October with Monster Madness.

Ocaso

Anth0ny said:
"Why don't you just pause it?"

"Oh, you beat it. So now you won't play it so much."

Classic.

Good little mini-episode. Can't say I share his Contra bragging rights (never beat it without the Konami code myself), but I share similarly fond memories of bragging amongst friends about game endings. I always smile when I remember my childhood-self's disbelief at Samus being a girl when my friend bragged about beating Metroid. Only after he showed me could I accept such an outrageous notion!

Darklord

Banned
brianmcdoogle said:
He's really big on Halloween, so I'm kinda bummed he only did 1 video for it, and a short one, and not that interesting of a game. Bummer. Hope he does something big for Christmas like always.

He did 32 videos. That's massive. But just 1 AVGN one.

OMG, that was great. I love how deadpan his delivery has become compared to his earlier over the top rantings.

"Every pixel in this game is a sin."

Yeah, seriously that was pretty good. When he started threatening the snake in Noah's Ark, and got all serious and talked really slow, that was brilliant!

Medalion

Banned
Wow, that was the most boring and unfunny ep of AVGN I've seen in a long time... he clearly threw this together because he felt obligated, and was really running out of ideas

Lot of rehashing of yeah i reviewed this or that game from a previous video, the jokes were not funny

wuh happen?

Wow, that was the most boring and unfunny ep of AVGN I've seen in a long time... he clearly threw this together because he felt obligated, and was really running out of ideas

Lot of rehashing of yeah i reviewed this or that game from a previous video, the jokes were not funny

wuh happen?

Yeah, not great.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member

wuh happen?

He probably invested a lot of time in playing the games and recording footage without coming up with many clever lines, and rather than starting from scratch, he decided to release the episode anyway.

Ending somewhat redeemed it, at least.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I appreciated the lower key, straight-faced nature of the review, but yeah, it was pretty weak. Especially considering the first two Bible Games videos are among his most hilarious.

I think my biggest complaint is that it was 100% rehashing games he's already done (although some of them were on different systems.)

HD looked awesome though.

t_screwattack_avgn_battletoads_gt-n.gif

It was kind of disappointing that he read that whole e-mail out word-for-word, but couldn't cut in a single reaction shot of himself sitting on the couch
shirtless with some glitter and a fake mustache on
. It was just him slouched over his computer the whole time. And starting at 9:00 he just starts on an unprepared, unfocused ramble that lasts the remaining 3:30 of the video.

Amagon

It was kind of disappointing that he read that whole e-mail out word-for-word, but couldn't cut in a single reaction shot of himself sitting on the couch
shirtless with some glitter and a fake mustache on
. It was just him slouched over his computer the whole time. And starting at 9:00 he just starts on an unprepared, unfocused ramble that lasts the remaining 3:30 of the video.

You gotta understand but James is human too. He can't be entertaning in every video with his Nerd persona. Its like watching a behind the scenes feature when he's doing the Mail Call. I don't mind it at all since I do value this man and the amount time/focus in his work. I'm always interested what the man has on his mind.

I agree it would be funny if he did the shirtless/glitter scene at the end though, lol

Wow, Mrs. Nerd speaks out. I kinda feel bad that people wanting to know so much about James' private life. Well, the gal's speaking out now.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I figured he was married since he's always wearing a ring in non-Nerd videos.

That blog post pretty much satisfies any curiosity I had.

Top Bottom