• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

Hive

Banned
B!TCH said:
Not saying anything but those are a lot of plush toys for a grown man. I don't know how old you are but you look too old to be playing with those.

he doesn't play with them, he just uses them as bait :p

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
B!TCH said:
Not saying anything but those are a lot of plush toys for a grown man. I don't know how old you are but you look too old to be playing with those.

52x641.gif

Good ep.

M3wThr33

Banned
B!TCH said:
I don't really PLAY with them.

It's like "I herd u lik mudkipz" and I see one at the store, so I buy it.

Petrae

CD-i... I remember playing the Golf game at the Sears CD-i kiosks and being moderately impressed. I never actually spent money on one, though. I bought a 3DO instead.

Ah the CD-i... a good start, but he's not at the really good stuff yet. :)

Wait... the one with the mini-stick looks like an exact clone of a Gravis PC gamepad. If it's the same as a normal Gravis PC Gamepad, then the mini-stick can be unscrewed and you can use it as a normal 4-button gamepad... does that one work like that too?

Hive

Banned
so far this is a great overview~ But his blood hasn't started to come to a boil just yet. Can't wait for part 2

Awesome... :)

All about Zelda: Wand of Gamelon. He does a great job of describing the game and showing its "good" and bad points... great video as usual. Link: Faces of Evil's very similar so that shouldn't take long, so it makes sense that video 3 will cover both of the remaining games.

It's pretty awesome to see more of the videos than just the intro and ending, those are the only two I'd ever seen...

MarkusRJR

One of his worst videos ever.

I'm really starting to get sick of AVGN. I'm a huge AVGN fan (been a fan since he was on Youtube) and I've seen all of his episodes many times. But lately (all of 2008) he's been doing horrible videos. I honestly think he's run entirely out of creativity and turns to excessive swearing. If you look back on some of his older videos he'd swear a lot, but at the same time he'd have actual jokes relating to the games. Now it seems he just shows a funny/out of place scene from a game and ruins it by swearing/yelling out of no where for no reason whatsoever.

Example:

Guy: "You killed me..."
Zelda: "Good."
AVGN: *makes a retarded face* "Good."
AVGN: *laughs and continues with making his obnoxious faces* "You killed me! Good."
AVGN: "Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck...!" *while he swears he gives out the "finger" and waves it around*

It's either his excessive swearing or his out of place skits. They're usually so stupid that they've gone beyond the point being funny, and actually make me embarrassed to be watching it. 99% of the time it seems as if they're just filler because he couldn't think of anything else to do, and he adds them in thinking they'll be funny (via the out of place/excessive swearing).

I'm sure no one will agree with me (as I consistently hear positive messages towards his show), but I thought I'd put my opinion into this thread.

The only reason I even watch his videos is because he will sometimes point out hilarious game flaws/glitches. Even though he'll usually ruin the chance to make a quality joke at them I find it a big enough redeeming factor to keep watching.

I just realized how long this post is (way longer than I intended...). I guess I'm just going insane from boredom and needed something to do.

ianp622

Yaceka said:

I'm really starting to get sick of AVGN. I'm a huge AVGN fan (been a fan since he was on Youtube) and I've seen all of his episodes many times. But lately (all of 2008) he's been doing horrible videos. I honestly think he's run entirely out of creativity and turns to excessive swearing. If you look back on some of his older videos he'd swear a lot, but at the same time he'd have actual jokes relating to the games. Now it seems he just shows a funny/out of place scene from a game and ruins it by swearing/yelling out of no where for no reason whatsoever.

Example:

AVGN: *laughs and continues with making his obnoxious faces* "You killed me! Good."
AVGN: "Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck...!" *while he swears he gives out the "finger" and waves it around*

It's either his excessive swearing or his out of place skits. They're usually so stupid that they've gone beyond the point being funny, and actually make me embarrassed to be watching it. 99% of the time it seems as if they're just filler because he couldn't think of anything else to do, and he adds them in thinking they'll be funny (via the out of place/excessive swearing).

I'm sure no one will agree with me (as I consistently hear positive messages towards his show), but I thought I'd put my opinion into this thread.

The only reason I even watch his videos is because he will sometimes point out hilarious game flaws/glitches. Even though he'll usually ruin the chance to make a quality joke at them I find it a big enough redeeming factor to keep watching.

I just realized how long this post is (way longer than I intended...). I guess I'm just going insane from boredom and needed something to do.

I don't think his reaction there was the funniest either, but it doesn't ruin the game content or the rest of the video.

Mason

Yaceka said:

Example:

No, I completely agree. His schtick got old really fast and most of his videos are pretty crappy these days. I usually try to catch the ones like this that detail games I'll never get around to playing myself just to see what they're like. I don't find the douche who does the videos funny at all.

Every time I watch these videos, I imagine a bunch of 12-year-olds watching them in their parents' basement and thinking it's the most irreverent and funny thing ever... he's swearing and drinking beer!... it makes me embarrassed to even be watching them.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Mason said:
No, I completely agree. His schtick got old really fast and most of his videos are pretty crappy these days. I usually try to catch the ones like this that detail games I'll never get around to playing myself just to see what they're like. I don't find the douche who does the videos funny at all.

Every time I watch these videos, I imagine a bunch of 12-year-olds watching them in their parents' basement and thinking it's the most irreverent and funny thing ever... he's swearing and drinking beer!... it makes me embarrassed to even be watching them.

Just like Family Guy...

Funny enough, but the game can be very easy if you know what to do. Hit detection does suck that bad, but you can abuse it as well to your advantage.

Zelda's Adventure WOULD be a GOOD Zelda game if it didn't do the LOADING TIMES FOR EVERY SCREEN. It also suffers from bad hit detection.

Anxious to see how he rags on the loading times. Imagine Zelda 1, but every single screen has LOADING time. That's Zelda's Adventure.

His best videos are the more serious ones, like Double Vision. I enjoy when he's not constantly trying to be "on", because he can be quite interesting to listen to when he actually talks intelligently. I honestly wasn't a fan of AVGN until recently, since I thought his original videos were just so rough, but after doing a patch of great episodes in 07 and some of 08, he's back to just cussing and making lame jokes.

Darklord

Banned
Yaceka said:

Example:

I think the 2008 have been good. I find his first videos(2004?) pretty boring. I thought the dick tracy video was awesome, especially at the end when he goes nuts over the 1 life and no continues then drills a hole in the cartridge.

I don't see the level of swearing increase that much either. It's only slightly changed. In the early ones he'd say something like "This is fuck farts" and now he's say "This is the worst piece of fucking shit ever" *dies in a stupid wayt* "what a load of fuck". It's hardly a lot more.

Even in his 2007 videos he'd go off into a swearing frenzy calling the game a fucking piece of ass cunt fuck shit or something.

I still like his videos(except the Halloween themed ones, I didn't like last years either).

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
PTCoakley said:
His best videos are the more serious ones, like Double Vision. I enjoy when he's not constantly trying to be "on", because he can be quite interesting to listen to when he actually talks intelligently. I honestly wasn't a fan of AVGN until recently, since I thought his original videos were just so rough, but after doing a patch of great episodes in 07 and some of 08, he's back to just cussing and making lame jokes.

I disagree his best was the early stuff.
Him flipping out over Castlevania 2 & TMNT were gold.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I really don't know how anyone can get tired of these. I never thought him swearing or over-reacting to dumb shit in a game was funny, but it's fun to watch him play and point it out.

Can't wait for the next Zelda one :D

Diablos

I wasted so much time watching his stuff tonight, heh. The Superman 64 video is pretty damn funny. It's unbelievable how bad that game is. :lol We all know it too, but he certainly puts it all in perspective.

Petrae

I'm still hooked on these. Sure, the schtick may be played out a bit, but I really enjoy watching Rolfe's work. The 32X vid still cracks me up, and there are usually a few laugh-worthy moments during each piece.

Sometimes it's irreverent and sometimes the swearing just feels like it *has* to be there... but these are still pretty funny and I still do get pretty amped when I read here that a new episode is posted.

smurfx

get some go again
Diablos said:
Oh man, so funny :lol

What a shitty game design... assigning the menu and enter/exit action to the same button? :lol :lol

Dimming the lights in the middle of a forest?

Hahaha, what a shitty game. And the animations... :lol
i was laughing at that forest scene. who the hell thought of that crap? :lol

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
One of the things I like about Mr. Rolfe is that beyond the excessive swearing pandering or the elaborate sketch comedy is that he actually reviews these game or systems and shows the hows and whys of why Game X blows chucks. That being said I don't find him as comedically amusing as Yahtzee, Spoony or even That Guy With The Glasses but he is still rather entertaining.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Shard said:
One of the things I like about Mr. Rolfe is that beyond the excessive swearing pandering or the elaborate sketch comedy is that he actually reviews these game or systems and shows the hows and whys of why Game X blows chucks. That being said I don't find him as comedically amusing as Yahtzee, Spoony or even That Guy With The Glasses but he is still rather entertaining.

Yeah, that's the one thing that really turns me off of Angry Videogame Nerd. The swearing isn't so bad when it's confined to expressing outrage at having to play these awful games, but extended cutscenes where Bugs Bunny has diarrhea simply aren't amusing nor germane to the subject at hand.

But when he's riffing on how horrible the games are, it's great - it's about as close to MST3K as games have come. Yahtzee makes jokes in his reviews, but Rolfe actually riffs on the game as its being played.

Don't know about you guys but he seems alot less into it lately. He doesn't seem as angry, and the few bouts of anger that occur seem forced, as if he suddenly realized that he forgot to put in some, and randomly bursts out in rage in-between calm moments.

He doesn't seem to hate playing this garbage as much as he should or as much as he used to for previous games. He's less whiny. He was almost very calm and contained the entire time. And how he could go this whole review without commenting on the godawful 10fps framerate of this atrocity is mind boggling.

Also I'm sorely missing his classic "What were they THINKING!?". It was kind of a trademark and he hasn't used it in a while.

Tr4nce

Shard said:

Can't believe you just said that. The Guy with the glasses sucks big time. He's trying to be funny in a forced kind of way. I don't think he's funny at all. Blegh.

MrHicks

Banned
AtomicShroom said:
Don't know about you guys but he seems alot less into it lately. He doesn't seem as angry, and the few bouts of anger that occur seem forced, as if he suddenly realized that he forgot to put in some, and randomly bursts out in rage in-between calm moments.

He doesn't seem to hate playing this garbage as much as he should or as much as he used to for previous games. He's less whiny. He was almost very calm and contained the entire time. And how he could go this whole review without commenting on the godawful 10fps framerate of this atrocity is mind boggling.

Also I'm sorely missing his classic "What were they THINKING!?". It was kind of a trademark and he hasn't used it in a while.

it probably feels artificial because when he first got started he was just a guy on youtube making vids whenever he felt like it

now he has some agreement with gametrailers and gets payed for it
which means hes prob on a shedule to produce content weekly or every 2 weeks

basicly it became just a job

thefro

AtomicShroom said:

He's at his best when he reviews licensed games that have pop culture references (Dick Tracy/Back to the Future), or points out the flaws in decent/good games (Castlevania 2/Battletoads/TMNT). The quality is actually super-consistent in those.

Also, in these multi-part reviews, he usually saves the flipping-out for the last part.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
The Nerd Responds to some of the criticism he has been receiving lately:

“THE NEWER VIDEOS HAVE LESS GAME CONTENT. THEY NOW HAVE MORE CURSING, AND ALWAYS HAVE GUEST CHARACTERS.”

It’s nice to read comments every once in a while, but this particular one is becoming very repetitive and tiring. But I only feel it’s worth addressing because it is so untrue. Let’s look at the facts.
MYTH: THERE’S ALWAYS GUEST CHARACTERS

I agree that AVGN is best when it’s just me and the game, but sometimes I need to do what I can to keep the videos fresh. It keeps it from getting boring for me, and it makes it something unique than just the same old game review done again and again. If the guest characters are really not your cup of tea, then here’s a handful of NEW AVGN videos (2008) that don’t have them.

2008 VIDEOS - NO GUEST CHARACTERS

Zelda timeline
Rambo
Virtual Boy
DoubleVision: 1 & 2
NES Accessories
Indiana Jones Trilogy (Costume only)
Superman
Superman 64 (Costume only)
Deadly Towers
Dick Tracy
Dracula (Costume only)
CDI: 1, 2, 3

2008 VIDEOS - WITH GUEST CHARACTERS

Wizard of Oz (Cowardly Lion)
Mario 3 (Satan, SMDC2K)
Star Trek (Klingon)
Batman 1 & 2 (Joker)
Battletoads (Kyle Justin)
Frankenstein (Franken-Nerd)

See? The majority of the videos are still the same basic game review style.
MYTH: THE NEWER VIDEOS HAVE LESS GAME CONTENT.

FACT: The newer videos are longer. Before the Friday the 13th video (October 2006), they had an average run time of 7 minutes. Now, they are usually between 10-15 minutes.

The newer videos also have more critique of the game. Here’s some example of the “old” and “better” videos from 2004/2006.

DR. JEKYL AND MR. HYDE - Barely played the game at all.
TMNT: Didn’t play past the 3rd level. (Showed clips of 4th level)
BACK TO THE FUTURE - Barely played past the Cafe.
TOP GUN: Didn’t play past 2nd level.
DOUBLE DRAGON 3: Didn’t play past 3rd level.

In the newer videos, I make greater effort to complete the games. More in-depth commentary. More analysis. More content.

I put a lot more time and effort into making the newer videos. Before Friday the 13th, they would each take about 8-12 hours total time. (That includes the gameplay/script/recording/editing) But now, the process takes about 30-40 (average) hours, each video.
MYTH: THE NEWER VIDEOS HAVE MORE CURSING.

The old videos had a TON of cursing!

Examples from the 2006 videos:

KARATE KID - Opens with the Nerd repeating FUCK over and over!

TMNT: Most of the video was “Fuck! Get up there! Fuck!” and analogies to animal feces. How could you forget the whole end rant? “It suckin’ fucks! It fuckin’ sucks! It fuckin’ Blows”…etc.

TOP GUN: One of the most classic bits. “ASS! FUUUUCCCK!!”

POWERGLOVE: I coudn’t even begin to discuss this video’s excessive use of the F-Word! It probably has the most to date

Bottom line: all the videos had cursing. If you actually think the newer ones have more, I would like to see an actual count to prove it. I guarantee there was more profanity years ago then there’s been lately. But it would also be nice to see a detailed comprehensive curse count that takes the length of the videos in consideration. I would like to see the average “FPM” (Fucks Per Minute). If anything, it would be hilarious.

If you like the “old” videos better, that’s fine. There’s nothing I can do to change that. After 60 game reviews, you’re not going to think it’s as original as you thought it was when you first saw it. Because you saw it 60 times! Unless I have the ability to erase your memory and start over, what you’re asking me for is something that is impossible. If you watch the newer videos, like Dick Tracy or the CDI series, you’ll see they are the same basic game reviews that you’ve wanted. I couldn’t imagine what more or what “less” it is you expect.

Criticism is fine, but when it has absolutely no basis in fact, it’s rather frustrating.

MarkusRJR

AVGN said:
MYTH: THE NEWER VIDEOS HAVE MORE CURSING.

The old videos had a TON of cursing!

I've always hated the excess use of swearing. The problem is, I felt the use of swearing was more justified in the older episodes while in the newer episodes he'll swear for apparently no reason whatsoever making it seem really forced.

To prove my point I'll go back to an example I used previously:

Yaceka said:

I honestly think if he just toned it down a little it would be way better.

EDIT: Scratch that. A more realistic idea (I doubt the AVGN would even consider cutting down swear usage): Have the swearing make sense. Make it justified. Don't randomly go into a burst of swearing out of no where because of a bad cut scene. Maybe instead point out something hilariously badly designed in the game and fit your swears into that. Hell, even spacing out the swearing to a degree would be better. Instead of swearing over and over again for what seems like forever over something that isn't all that funny to begin with... try swearing less then and swear more later on. It'll make it seem much more consistent, and won't stick out as much.

Example:
*character falls through ground thus leading to death*

What the fuck is this shit?!

[/spoiler]I know it's a bad example, but it's 1:21AM (I'm dead tired) and I'm not very creative right now.

Please try to ignore any spelling mistakes as I'm really tired right now.

lopaz

Banned
Yaceka said:
I've always hated the excess use of swearing. The problem is, I felt the use of swearing was more justified in the older episodes while in the newer episodes he'll swear for apparently no reason whatsoever making it seem really forced.

To prove my point I'll go back to an example I used previously:

That bit was awesome >: (

MarkusRJR

lopaz said:
That bit was awesome >: (
It's just an opinion. I may like something while others may appreciate other things. That's something the AVGN should learn to understand. Instead of trying to stand up for his work (which is what he's doing now, and will lead him no where) he should just tell the haters, or the people giving suggestions (myself included), to fuck off if you're whining about show (as it's his and he can do whatever he wants).

Of course, he could always just try and take in the suggestions and use them to make his future videos even better.

turk128

I think AVGN is evolving as a entertainer reviewer (unlike other high-profile reviewers in his niche). I hope he never censors himself because of others and he's too nice of a guy to tell people to 'fuck off' when they criticize him. The fact that he actually explained himself (not in character) instead of writing a rant shows how cool of a cat he is.

Yaceka, you should really check out his non-gaming reviews and vids. He's basically adding in elements of those into his gaming reviews (i.e. not just swearing but informing).

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Tr4nce said:
Can't believe you just said that. The Guy with the glasses sucks big time. He's trying to be funny in a forced kind of way. I don't think he's funny at all. Blegh.

Well, in specific I am talking about The Nostalgia Critic persona, but regardless, Douglas Walker makes me laugh more James Rolfe, there it is, cut and dried.

Top Bottom