• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animated music duo Prozzäk to Release New Album Keep It 'Forever 1999'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cranster

Banned
Prozzäk is back in action. The brainchild of Jay Levine (Simon) and James Bryan McCollum (Milo), the animated group has just announced a Forever 1999 cross-Canada tour, to support a new album of that name, to be released on Mar. 31. The 11-city trek kicks off in Ottawa at the Algonquin Commons Theatre on Mar. 30, closing out at Victoria’s Sugar Nightclub on April 16. Full itinerary here

Originally members of The Philosopher Kings, Levine and McCollum both agreed that the direction of band was restricting the type of music they wanted to produce. While on a European tour, the two created a comedic song titled "Europa" in which they sang in a British accent. The song did not fit in with the music produced by The Philosopher Kings, but the band's record company, Sony Canada, enjoyed it so the two created Prozzäk in 1998.

Their first album, Hot Show, was released in late 1998. It featured the hit songs "Sucks to Be You" and "Strange Disease." The album was certified Triple Platinum in Canada and their second album, Saturday People, released in 2000, included the singles "www.nevergetoveryou" and "Be As." Both albums were nominated for Best Album at the Juno Awards in 2000 and 2002, respectively.

Prozzäk resurfaced in 2005 with a new album and a new look. Cruel Cruel World was released via MapleMusic. A reunion concert was performed at the Atomic Lollipop Festival in Toronto on July 18, 2015, where they debuted a new single and in Sept., Prozzak released their first single in over 10 years entitled "Baby I Need Your Love (Pussy Cat Pussy Cat)." Clearly the on-and-off reunions are more on than off these days.
prozzak_3.jpg

http://www.fyimusicnews.ca/articles/2017/01/19/liner-notes-bullet-news-jan-19th

I'm a sucker for semi-obscure late 90s/early 2000s Canadian animated stuff so I kind of have a soft spot for their music videos. Their third album (Cruel Cruel World) actually isn't bad at all imo. Hot Show is a bit of a lark but that sense of self-awareness makes it fun. Hopefully this album is somewhere along those lines.

I bought some of their music a few months ago after sucks to be you popped into my head. God bless Much Music for introducing me to them.

Blast from the past late night MTV was amazing during that period. Some of those music video’s were astonishing hand drawn art, early cgi and a real Wipeout vibe to a lot of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom