• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime recomendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malakhov

Banned
Alright I normally absolutely hate animes but today I watched Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust and thought it was freaking awesome. What is of similar quality that I have a good chance to like if I liked Vampire Hunter D?

Man they should turn that anime into a live movie, it would be the SHITZNIT!

Hellsing.
B00008L3MH.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

There's always the original D. Honestly nowhere near as good, but maybe worth checking out.

You might like Blood. I personally think it sucked, but who knows.

Dead

well not really...yet
Blood is worthless. It sets things up for 40 minutes, but it serves no purpose, since thats all there is :/

Malakhov said:
Berserk kind of looks like my kind of thing.
How was the original Vampire Hunter? Was D the main hero?

It's based on another book in the series. I forget which, since I've never actually read them.

Yeah, it's the same main character. It's not aged so well, to be honest... but I'm still partial to it because it was probably the second anime I'd ever seen (after Robotech/Macross and related stuff).

You might actually be interested in Ninja Scroll as well.

bjork

We got in a hentai called Blood Royale. It's about a "perverted pirate who ruthlessly plunders booty."

Dunno if that fits with what you're looking for, but I thought I'd share anyway. :)

Grimlock

What I've seen of Hellsing has been interesting, bloody, and confusing. I spot-checked the English voice acting, and it actually seems more appropriate than the Japanese audio (considering the series is set in England). Vampire Princess Miyu is basically gothic magic-girl anime, but for some reason I loved it. Beserk starts off slow, but by the end of the series you'll be hunting down the manga and mopping up the blood that comes spilling out of your TV.

Chrono

Banned
Cloudy said:
Berserk%20DVD%201.jpg

Berserk. It has all the violence you'll probably enjoy and an awesome plot and cast as well...

lol is that a picture of two GUYS kissing?

Is homosexuality part of the plot/story?

Alucard

Banned
If you're ever tempted to get Blood: The Last Vampire, DON'T. It licks serious balls aside from the animation. The whole thing was a total let down for me since it explains nothing of the backstory to this big "war" that's going on. But yeah...

COWBOY BEBOP. The series and the movie.

Pellham

Banned
I don't understand the appeal of Hellsing. Each ep is nothing more than some vampire hunter (who happens to be a vampire) killing vampires. it also has one of the worst endings known to man. lame.

Malakhov

Banned
Well I don't really like anything that is cheezy.

The only animes that can retain my attention is the ones with a deep storyline and a lot of action and some violence in them.

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust was one of them, Evangelion years ago too were about the only 2 that I REALLY liked.

Malakhov said:
The only animes that can retain my attention is the ones with a deep storyline and a lot of action and some violence in them.

Try out Trigun then. If you want something thats intelligent and super violent then go with Texhnolyze also. Just know that it's really confusing at first.

Whenever Gantz comes out on DVD you might like that. The fansubs aren't worth it because they're censored beyond belief (some of us were warned about this). It was still good while the first season lasted though (11 eps).

Chrono

Banned
Malakhov:

Try Here and There, Now and Then. It has awesome story and character development, and it's only 13 episodes. :)

heavy liquid said:
No and no.

lol now that I look at it again, it is a girl. I feel like an idiot. :D

SolidSnakex said:
Whenever Gantz comes out on DVD you might like that. The fansubs aren't worth it because they're censored beyond belief (some of us were warned about this). It was still good while the first season lasted though (11 eps).

Is it really that bad (fansubs) ? Funimation has the series so the DVDs will be good but there's still no word on the first release. I was planning to start watching it today as I finished d/ling all 11 episodes... then I read your post. =\

HAOHMARU

My traditional recomendations for anime series:

Berserk: All time favorite, got the HK bootleg back in 2000 and have been praising it ever since. Nobody would listen until the US released of the official DVD. Great story and great character development.

Cowboy Bebop: Its about bounty hunters in space with an awesome jazzy soundtrack. Watch the entire series plus the movie...well worth it.

Initial D: Its about an unkown kid who whoops up on all of Japan's downhill street racers. I like it, not sure if it is everyones type of show though.

signet

I am watching Hellsing right now (watched the 1st 1/2 yesterday and I'll finish it up today and tomorrow). I like it, langue is a bit harsh with lots of cursing and some risqué parts means it won't show up on Adultswim. I love the vampire killing priest (Alexander Anderson), he is so bad assed. Lots of blood, cool characters and unless it take a complete dump in the last 6 or 7 eps it is a pretty good show. Only 13 eps total, Alucard is an awesome vampire well worth a viewing.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Malakhov said:
Alright I'm getting Berserk, just ordered it.

What is Hellsing about?

You wont regret it, i warn you though, the first episode, much like Gungrave, is fucked up, cheesy as hell, until you know the story.. which is a prologue mostly and really picks up at ~13

My favorite anime :D After you watch the anime you'll want to see the manga, almost certainly, and the manga is so so much better than the anime and goes much further in the story :eek:

and now, a little taste..

gatsu6.jpg

berserkbg2-1024.jpg

berserkbg1-1024.jpg

Of course, the anime doesnt have that quality of drawing :p

" and unless it take a complete dump in the last 6 or 7 eps it is a pretty good show"

.........................lol wait for it.

signet

I didn't like berserk at all, the 1st ep was so great and the show ends just as it gets good. If I knew then what I know now I would not have bothered watching the show. The Dreamcast game was so much better, the anime is nothing but a tease.

calder

Why there isn't a Blade of the Immortal anime is beyond me.

There isn't one, is there? That was my favourite manga series by far but I havne't read it in a while now so I don't know what's happened to it for the past year or so.

I thought the original Vampire Hunter:D sucked huge donkey balls. Blood, as ppl have mentioned, it totally pointless on it's own. It could have been cool but as it is it's like an interesting prologue to what you think'll be a cool novel but it ends up the prologue is all there is.

Chrono said:
Is it really that bad (fansubs) ? Funimation has the series so the DVDs will be good but there's still no word on the first release. I was planning to start watching it today as I finished d/ling all 11 episodes... then I read your post. =\

Don't get me wrong, the actual show is awesome. Really cool story telling and action sequences. The problem is simply that it's very censored. You might not notice the censoring early on but later on in the eps it becomes very obvious. You can still enjoy the show for sure, but you might just want to wait for the uncensored version to come out.

Why there isn't a Blade of the Immortal anime is beyond me.

I've read the author won't allow it to be made into an anime. I can't back that up with a source, but I've heard it from a few different places so it's a good enough for me.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I don't blame him. Pretty large possibility of BotI being fucked up in an anime version.

Teddman

Here's some more anime features, not TV series. Sounds like you want non-stop action type stuff.

-Ninja Scroll
Classic action-oriented fare, similar in tone/quality to Vampire D Bloodlust. You'll love it.

-Vampire Hunter D
Of course you should see the original. Not as much fighting, but still good.

-Spriggan
The first half has some awesome battle setpieces. Second half is not as good...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom