• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another Alleged Okinawan Rape by US Sailor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darksol

Currently making the rounds in Japan.

Police arrested Justin Castellanos, a 24-year-old sailor, on Sunday for allegedly raping a Japanese tourist in a hotel room in the Okinawan capital Naha.

Castellanos has denied raping the woman in his room after finding her asleep in a hotel corridor in the early hours of Sunday, local media reported. The alleged victim, a woman in her 40s, was visiting the island from another part of Japan.

Crimes committed by US personnel have fuelled public resentment towards the US military presence on the islands, which hosts more than half the 47,000 US troops in Japan and three-quarters of its bases.

This is hardly the first time. American military have a rather shitty history with how they behave in Okinawa.

Sorry for the weak thread. On mobile.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/14/us-sailor-arrested-in-okinawa-on-suspicion-of

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...spicion-raping-woman-naha-hotel/#.VudU8ppkOJI

http://www.telesurtv.net/english/ne...spected-of-Rape-in-Okinawa-20160314-0006.html

Herbs

Banned
I remember when I was stationed there in the early 2000's we were restricted to base during the Emperor's visit. They didn't want us fucking up while he was on the island. So much crazy shit happens there.

This has been happening a long time. Back in the 1990s when I was a kid and lived there, you always heard about stuff like this. I still don't see America ever giving up those bases in Okinawa anytime soon. It's too strategic in stopping any type of Chinese aggression and everyone knows it. The bases also play a large role in Okinawa's economy.

A horrible story for sure, I do wonder however whether the crime rate among US soldiers/ sailors is significantly higher than among the general population. I live in Japan so when something like this happens I hear about it, but I also know that the media will focus on crimes committed by soldiers and other foreigners more than they will those committed by native Japanese.

Mesousa

Banned
All the brothels in Okinawa and dude rapes a chick? The base needs to go. Its an embarrassment all around.

Japan needs to start taking care of their own security.

The Japanese have the island.
The islands were handed over to them in the 70s. Not sure what you're going on about. Yes the US has a base there, but if Japan really wanted to they could get rid of it, transfer it, or put severe restrictions on the people there. The base isn't there for anti-Japan reasons.

Yeah, people really don't understand the Mainland-Okinawa relationship. The Japanese tolerate places like Yokusuka and Yokota. Much better to have most of the Americans down on Okinawa. And as horrible as this event is, that dichotomy's not going to change. Further, these events are -- thankfully -- not common.

Although this one strikes me as odd. Hotel room in Naha instead of somewhere on Gate 2 Street?

Yeah, what the hell? :/

Somebody feels Okinawans wanting a U.S. military base granted to America by the mainland Japanese government moved because of the crimes soldiers stationed there commit is outweighed by what Japanese soldiers did to American soldiers during WW2, apparently.

Yeah, people really don't understand the Mainland-Okinawa relationship. The Japanese tolerate places like Yokusuka and Yokota. Much better to have most of the Americans down on Okinawa. And as horrible as this event is, that dichotomy's not going to change. Further, these events are -- thankfully -- not common.

Although this one strikes me as odd. Hotel room in Naha instead of somewhere on Gate 2 Street?

This is what I'm wondering. What was he doing in Naha when he was from Camp Schwab?

I was expecting protestors at the gate this morning when I came to work, but the most I saw was a news crew outside of a Foster gate on the way to work.

The majority of these accusations turn out to be false and drop off the news with no trace. We'll have to wait and see about this one.

Dingens

A horrible story for sure, I do wonder however whether the crime rate among US soldiers/ sailors is significantly higher than among the general population. I live in Japan so when something like this happens I hear about it, but I also know that the media will focus on crimes committed by soldiers and other foreigners more than they will those committed by native Japanese.

that doesn't really matter...
If there are foreign forces occupying your country, of course you are going to watch every little step they take closely, no matter how friendly or trustworthy they might present themselves.
It's the same with "foreigners" in general and certainly not exclusive to Japan. I guess the inherent distrust against "the other" is part of human nature. (and even more so if "the other" is armed to the brim)

entremet

I wish the US would just get the hell out of there.

It's 2016. Get the fuck out.

Japan cannot have a standing military use to Article 9 of their Constitution. As such, the US has been providing strategic defense since the end of WW2.

Also, it keeps Chinese tensions low.

I do think the base should go, but we really can't retreat from Japan completely.

Umibozu

Japan cannot have a standing military use to Article 9 of their Constitution. As such, the US has been providing strategic defense since the end of WW2.

Also, it keeps Chinese tensions low.
Didn't they recently make changes so they can have one?

entremet

Didn't they recently make changes so they can have one?

Can't happen due to post WW2 treaties. They have a very small military, it's just limited in scope due to these treaties.

It would not be sufficient for a country of they're size and economic power if we just left.

Can't happen due to post WW2 treaties. They have a very small military, it's just limited in scope due to these treaties.

It would not be sufficient for a country of they're size and economic power if we just left.

Sufficient for what? They have a huge military.

Xisiqomelir

I wish the US would just get the hell out of there.

It's 2016. Get the fuck out.

That's not how history works.

Israel-Palestine: "It's 2016. Get the fuck out."

China-Taiwan: "It's 2016. Get the fuck out."

Seoul-Pyongyang: It's 2016. Get the fuck out."

There is no expiry of the grievances.

Arjayes

Banned
Tensions are definitely not at a boiling point with the Okinawan nationals. Generally the main people opposed to the base relocation are the elderly, especially considering that Henoko is mainly populated by people over 65.

Regarding this rape, I don't know why but the last two rapes were by the Navy so there might be some built up ship tension mixed with some bad judgment but he'll definitely go to jail. While this won't affect the base relocation, I'm sure their liberty will be restricted (last time it was for about 1.5 years) which will affect the Okinawa night life. Last time dozens of bars and club closed because of the sharp decrease in customers. I also put this news on my Instagram and a younger Japanese girl just laughed (I have no idea why) so although media outlets will say this is a huge deal, the majority of the population won't think twice about it.

This is what I'm wondering. What was he doing in Naha when he was from Camp Schwab?
Because there's literally nothing at Schwab and everything is in Naha.

Why was she asleep in the hotel corridor? Just curious most hotels I know of don't allow people to just sleep anywhere in the hotel
She was drunk so she probably just passed out before she made it to her room.
Generally in business hotels there is no one roaming the halls, they usually stay on the 1st floor and sometimes sleep in their little back room lol.

Amon37

Why was she asleep in the hotel corridor? Just curious most hotels I know of don't allow people to just sleep anywhere in the hotel

That's not how history works.

Israel-Palestine: "It's 2016. Get the fuck out."

China-Taiwan: "It's 2016. Get the fuck out."

Seoul-Pyongyang: It's 2016. Get the fuck out."

There is no expiry of the grievances.

Whats USA got to do with China and Taiwan?

I feel for Japan on this, here in Australia it is much more covered up, Marine rapes make the news then vanish forever (even by googling the details). Clearly victims are being silenced.

Yep.

The US has inserted its bases and military EVERYWHERE. It's ridiculous. Pull back out troops, and stop wasting money. It should go to education, healthcare, and other social programs to benefit Americans.

Yes, let's pull out of all the regions we have interests in and get extremely isolationist so we can see what happens when the world's biggest superpower turns its back on the rest of the world.

Hint: people would panic, trade would be considerably impacted, warlords would act like they have even more of a free pass, and as a result of these, economies would collapse, and all of those things would *hurt* Americans rather than benefitting them.

I don't disagree that we spend way more money on defense than we should, and that's money that could go towards education, health care, etc. But don't get naive and think we should just pull out of everywhere, cut our spending, and stay home. America has an interest in making sure shit doesn't go completely sideways all over the globe, and having an armed presence almost anywhere on the globe is one hell of a deterrent. It's not perfect, and sometimes when the US decides to get interventionist shit gets ugly (fuck, look at ISIS), but America's deterrence factor is a big reason why NK hasn't nuked the shit out of Seoul, and why Israel hasn't gotten completely overrun by literally every country that surrounds it, just as a couple examples.

I don't even know that I'm right on all I said above, but all I really know is there's a larger, more delicate balance of power than I think a lot of us realize, and there are never any easy answers. It's not just a matter of "we waste money abroad, bring troops home" because if it was, I think someone would've done it by now.

Valhelm

contribute something

We're kinda the reason why Taiwain is a country.

Yep.

The US has inserted its bases and military EVERYWHERE. It's ridiculous. Pull back out troops, and stop wasting money. It should go to education, healthcare, and other social programs to benefit Americans.

My own biggest struggle is trying to decide if Pax Americana is better than the alternative. It's clearly unethical to keep so many bases on foreign soil, and we suffer domestically from this. But pulling out of Asia could very easily allow for a renewal of violent conflict in that region. We're living in an unprecedented era of peace, and we should do what we can to avoid ending that.

Yes, let's pull out of all the regions we have interests in and get extremely isolationist so we can see what happens when the world's biggest superpower turns its back on the rest of the world.

Hint: people would panic, trade would be considerably impacted, warlords would act like they have even more of a free pass, and as a result of these, economies would collapse, and all of those things would *hurt* Americans rather than benefitting them.

I don't disagree that we spend way more money on defense than we should, and that's money that could go towards education, health care, etc. But don't get naive and think we should just pull out of everywhere, cut our spending, and stay home. America has an interest in making sure shit doesn't go completely sideways all over the globe, and having an armed presence almost anywhere on the globe is one hell of a deterrent. It's not perfect, and sometimes when the US decides to get interventionist shit gets ugly (fuck, look at ISIS), but America's deterrence factor is a big reason why NK hasn't nuked the shit out of Seoul, and why Israel hasn't gotten completely overrun by literally every country that surrounds it, just as a couple examples.

I don't even know that I'm right on all I said above, but all I really know is there's a larger, more delicate balance of power than I think a lot of us realize, and there are never any easy answers. It's not just a matter of "we waste money abroad, bring troops home" because if it was, I think someone would've done it by now.

Unless NK plans on driving a bomb into Seoul then there is no way they can nuke it.

America can afford to pull out troops in a lot of places. Do they really need bases in Australia and Japan? I doubt anything major will happen without their presence.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
This is such a weird way to put it.

I think you don't understand rape

Yeah I realize that sounded weird. What he did was fucked up and wrong regardless of political climate.

I cant understand the thought process of someone who would do this period, but in this case his actions have repercussions that go beyond the people directly involved in this incident. So it's like double "why the fuck would you do that."

Unless NK plans on driving a bomb into Seoul then there is no way they can nuke it.

America can afford to pull out troops in a lot of places. Do they really need bases in Australia and Japan? I doubt anything major will happen without their presence.

Do they need to have a major presence in the Pacific theater? I mean, if you don't think there are any US interests worth protecting in the region, you're welcome to think that, but I think there are strong economic interests in the Pacific, and having a military there absolutely helps to keep things from actually getting violent and thus breaking things down economically. It's called deterrent because it's a threat of violence that you don't actually use to keep other powers in check. I think saying "nothing major would happen" if the US left and created a power vacuum is assuming a little too much.

And with that, I'm going to bed.

Chichikov

No way the US can leave. China would skull fuck Japan if the US left. Anyone who thinks they wouldn't are fooling themselves.
I don't think China has any plans to invade Japan, regardless of whether or not the US has a base in Okinawa, they will get into a fight with America and they don't get a whole lot to gain from that.
In fact, they really don't have a whole lot to gain from invading Japan in general.

Really sucks how bad some of the servicemen act down there. Pretty much all Americans get treated like shit in Naha until everyone confirms you are not in the forces. At least in my experience. Everyone was nice once that was cleared up though.

If you have to ask something like that, your opinion on foreign policy isn't going to hold much weight. lol

As far as I understand, NK could absolutely demolish Seoul and other cities with their conventional artillery and such alone. The ability of the U.S. army in the Pacific region to rapidly deploy surgical strikes would be the only real way to save thousands of lives.

They don't have the firepower to level the city like they claim, but if they really went off their rocker we would see some pretty disgusting civilian casualty numbers and property damage.

Walpurgis

Banned
Yep.

And Obama whines about "free riders". They have all of these bases and are keeping this base in Okinawa for themselves, not others. They just want to maintain their sphere of influence. Japan is a very important country, economically and geopolitically, so they will never let this go.

dab0ne

I remember when I was stationed there in the early 2000's we were restricted to base during the Emperor's visit. They didn't want us fucking up while he was on the island. So much crazy shit happens there.
Yep I want there for two weeks in 2004. A dude in my unit got his ass kicked and was robbed. Beautiful place but I didn't leave the base much.

NastyBook

Isn't there a history of this shit happening in Okinawa? Like, how do the assholes of the military keep getting sent there?

EDIT: Yeah, right there at the end of the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom