• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another portable bitch fest.

fugimax

Alright people, it's Friday. That means retailers definitely have DS hardware in-store *right now.*

Your mission, if you choose to accept, is to find yourself a retailer that will sell you a DS. Then, if successful, scan the receipt and post it on the forums. Let's get that street date broken, GAF.

Tell her to hit Best Buys. There are more reports online about Best buy than anything else right now.

Evanston, IL Store #313 is definite.

How many breaks does it take to get a release from nintendo though?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
evanstson huh? that is only like 70 minutes from me..... hmm......

edit - on second thought, I'm not dealing with chicago traffic..

BojTrek

Banned
The EB Games near my work in Elk Grove Village, IL has two on display with the Metroid demo...

All I have to say is "WHY?"

Why would a guy who does not own a hand-held system want to buy this?

Why would they put such a low graphics engine, power, resolution onto this handheld... I really see no step up from the Gameboy Advance...

I am not trying make DS people upset... but the system is very weak in terms of graphics... I did not like the feel of the system either...

Looks like I will continue my LACK of HAND-HELD life... for now...

Maybe PS3 or X-Box 2 will have a hand-held model...

lexi

Banned
BojTrek said:
Why would they put such a low graphics engine, power, resolution onto this handheld... I really see no step up from the Gameboy Advance...

Yeah, just like the N64 was totally not a step up from the SNES.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
BojTrek said:
I really see no step up from the Gameboy Advance...
wpict2A.jpg

Is this you?

BojTrek said:
The EB Games near my work in Elk Grove Village, IL has two on display with the Metroid demo...

I am not trying make DS people upset... but the system is very weak in terms of graphics... I did not like the feel of the system either...

Umm.....did you see the GBA?

Chony

BojTrek said:

IDOT.

You know trolls are desperate when they say Metroid Prime Hunters doesn't look better than a GBA game.

Don't worry guys, the PSP will be out sooner or later and you can be part of that great event while you watch the Sony ship sink around you :rock

Amir0x

Banned
LinesInTheSand said:
You know trolls are desperate when they say Metroid Prime Hunters doesn't look better than a GBA game.

Don't worry guys, the PSP will be out sooner or later and you can be part of that great event while you watch the Sony ship sink around you :rock

He was wrong, but THIS wasn't a troll post?

BojTrek

Banned
I'm am not an IDOT, YOU GUY SHITUP... I HATE Nintendo DS...

I HATE YOU ALL NOW...

Oh wait, I am 34 years old... maybe my eyes are getting bad... or maybe the graphics stink... :?

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
BojTrek said:

I HATE YOU ALL NOW...

Oh wait, I am 34 years old... maybe my eyes are getting bad... or maybe the graphics stink... :?

Why post in a street date thread???

Anyone work at Best Buy who can confirm when they will official have it for sale? It doesn't say on their website, and I've had employees tell me different dates. Usually the 22nt or 24th, but never the 21st, which doesn't make sense. Not that launching on a Sunday makes much sense, anyway.

The dates for the launch games are strange, too. Spiderman has 11/22 for it's release date, and Mario has 11/24.

Kon Tiki

Banned
BojTrek said:

I HATE YOU ALL NOW...

You can not expect xbox quality in a handheld.

BojTrek

Banned
But why wouldn't they try getting Gamecube quality... seriously, the handhelds are always a generation behind for Nintendo...

Look at the PSP, that is at least on pace with PS2... why does Nintendo do this?

Why not have the best possible grpahics... THAT WON'T CAUSE BATTERIES TO DIE IN 2 HOURS!

Oh come on, when's the last time a GBA was two GBAs? DS is twice as powerful.

Honestly, I thought it'd be decent, and a Portable Mario 64 is something I've always wanted, but the sour taste the demo left me is just overpowering. This is the stupidest thing I've ever seen. I mean.... Ughcore. BAD NINTENDO, BAD! You aren't going to erase decades of normal videogame habits with your dualscreens and funky control methods.

Maybe it just takes time getting used to.

Soul4ger

Maybe because of money issues? Sony is going to lose something like $260 per every PSP unit sold in Japan. Maybe Nintendo isn't willing to take that large of a loss. To be honest, I'm satisfied with graphics that look like AstroBoy and Fire Emblem on my handhelds, so this isn't that big of a deal to me. But if you are a graphics-type person, I can see where you're coming from. DS isn't PSP.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Son of Godzilla said:
Oh come on, when's the last time a GBA was two GBAs? DS is twice as powerful.

Honestly, I thought it'd be decent, and a Portable Mario 64 is something I've always wanted, but the sour taste the demo left me is just overpowering. This is the stupidest thing I've ever seen. I mean.... Ughcore. BAD NINTENDO, BAD! You aren't going to erase decades of normal videogame habits with your dualscreens and funky control methods.

Maybe it just takes time getting used to.

Touch screen is the new connectivity.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Soul4ger said:
Maybe because of money issues? Sony is going to lose something like $260 per every PSP unit sold in Japan. Maybe Nintendo isn't willing to take that large of a loss. To be honest, I'm satisfied with graphics that look like AstroBoy and Fire Emblem on my handhelds, so this isn't that big of a deal to me. But if you are a graphics-type person, I can see where you're coming from. DS isn't PSP.

Maybe Nintendo needs to take a loss for once in order to, I don't know, improve their market perception among non-Nintendo fanboys.

Kon Tiki

Banned
BojTrek said:
But why wouldn't they try getting Gamecube quality... seriously, the handhelds are always a generation behind for Nintendo...

Look at the PSP, that is at least on pace with PS2... why does Nintendo do this?

Why not have the best possible grpahics... THAT WON'T CAUSE BATTERIES TO DIE IN 2 HOURS!

Retailers say other wise, 2hours in full function mode.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Soul4ger said:
How many hours do they say it lasts without all the functions?
hat means that we set the PSP to the brightest mode and using built in speakers. However, if we set it to the dimmest mode and use the earphone, the battery can last for 4-6 hours.

I will wait till I can play it myself to believe it. Just retailer tend to lie to get you to BUY a product, not not buy one.

Soul4ger

ManaByte said:
Maybe Nintendo needs to take a loss for once in order to, I don't know, improve their market perception among non-Nintendo fanboys.

Never said I agreed with it, sir, just said it is a reasonable excuse. If the DS fails, I think Nintendo will be forced to launch a good piece of hardware at a launch. At that point, we might look back and say they should've done something of that sort when they had the LEISURE to do it, and weren't forced by desperation. But we'll see.

Soul4ger

Society said:
I will wait till I can play it myself to believe it. Just retailer tend to lie to get you to BUY a product, not not buy one.

If they're lying about four to six hours, they're not doing a very convincing job of selling it. :( I like being able to go a couple weeks without having to charge my GBA SP. Ah, well.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Soul4ger said:
If they're lying about four to six hours, they're not doing a very convincing job of selling it. :( I like being able to go a couple weeks without having to charge my GBA SP. Ah, well.

Heh, I meant they tend to push a sale not discourage a sale.

Soul4ger

Society said:
Heh, I meant they tend to push a sale not discourage a sale.

I understand what you meant, sir. It's just that exaggerating the battery lasts four hours with the light on its dimmest setting and using headphones isn't much of a hyperbole. :(

ManaByte

Gold Member
Soul4ger said:
Never said I agreed with it, sir, just said it is a reasonable excuse. If the DS fails, I think Nintendo will be forced to launch a good piece of hardware at a launch. At that point, we might look back and say they should've done something of that sort when they had the LEISURE to do it, and weren't forced by desperation. But we'll see.

Fristly, the DS won't "fail", but it won't be another GameBoy success for Nintendo. The DS is going to be Nintendo's N64 of handhelds and sell well among the hardcore while Sony mops up the mass market with the PSP, just like they did with the PSX.

Soul4ger

ManaByte said:
Fristly, the DS won't "fail", but it won't be another GameBoy success for Nintendo. The DS is going to be Nintendo's N64 of handhelds and sell well among the hardcore while Sony mops up the mass market with the PSP, just like they did with the PSX.

When I say fail, I mean what you say. That is, it won't be the enormous success the Game Boy is, and it will fail to keep Sony from making a dent in the handheld market. Comprende?

Mashing

ManaByte said:

and then Nintendo steals it right back with the GBA2.... the cycle commences and these systems wars become even more pointless than they are now.

Kon Tiki

Banned
So GBA is outselling PS2 even, yet they are not selling to the mass market? I do not understand. Oh wait, I get it, GBA will just go away when PSP comes out. :lol

ManaByte said:

Not even close. PSP = 30% share of marketplace when all is said and done.

AirBrian

sp0rsk said:
What does any of this have to do with breaking street date?
Can we start a new breaking street date thread and rename this to something else?

There's some good posts with places breaking streat dates in between the "other" posts.

EDIT: Thanks, sp0rsk.

Top Bottom