• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any cheap 480i -> 1080i scalers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Well, it just so happens that my TV has one major flaw that has driven me crazy. It can only do a 16:9 squeeze when inputting 1080i. At 480i and 480p, it is 4:3 only. For gaming, this is generally not a problem at all...

HOWEVER, DVDs have become an issue. Running DVDs at 480p will shift to 16:9 anamorphic mode and the TV will display the image in a 4:3 format (that is, stretched).

If I was able to scale the output up to 1080i, I would be able to use the squeeze mode.

I know this can be done...but can it be done for a decent price? Anyone have any ideas?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
can't you just turn off anamorphic mode on your dvd player? or something like that? you won't get the same resolution as you would with anamorhpic squeeze, but at least the picture won't be stretched.

dark10x

drohne said:
can't you just turn off anamorphic mode on your dvd player? or something like that? you won't get the same resolution as you would with anamorhpic squeeze, but at least the picture won't be stretched.

Heh, the thing is, I'm only using a PS2 for playback. :(

I would buy a standalone player, but I don't have the inputs to handle everything I have hooked up right now. I suppose it might just be cheaper to find a better switcher solution or something and simply buy a dedicated player...

The PS2, in 480p, ONLY allows the 16:9 TV setting...

Cooper

dark10x said:
Well, it just so happens that my TV has one major flaw that has driven me crazy. It can only do a 16:9 squeeze when inputting 1080i. At 480i and 480p, it is 4:3 only. For gaming, this is generally not a problem at all...

HOWEVER, DVDs have become an issue. Running DVDs at 480p will shift to 16:9 anamorphic mode and the TV will display the image in a 4:3 format (that is, stretched).

If I was able to scale the output up to 1080i, I would be able to use the squeeze mode.

I know this can be done...but can it be done for a decent price? Anyone have any ideas?

I'm not sure I completely understand - it sounds like you have the PS2 hooked up to a 4:3 HDTV, and when you play an anamorphic DVD, characters are tall and skinny. What kind of TV does your PS2 think you have in the system configuration menu? This could be caused by an improper aspect ratio setting...

dark10x

ArcadeStickMonk said:
ha ha your TV sucks

ha ha it's a standard problem with many (especially newer models) 4:3 HD sets you twat. You wouldn't know that, of course, as you have a budget edition of the 20" Tosh with HORRIBLE velocity scan modulation problems (and the inability to DISABLE VSM). ;)

I'm not sure I completely understand - it sounds like you have the PS2 hooked up to a 4:3 HDTV, and when you play an anamorphic DVD, characters are tall and skinny. What kind of TV does your PS2 think you have in the system configuration menu? This could be caused by an improper aspect ratio setting...

Most DVD players allow you to change the TV to the proper setting. However, the PS2 is more limited in that once it is in 480p mode, the aspect ratio settings on the PS2 itself are stuck in 16:9 mode. So, basically, both devices don't really get along. The PS2 ONLY wants to display 16:9 images when in 480p while the TV doesn't want to do the squeeze at that resolution.

It seems that it is much more common than I expected on newer 4:3 sets. Technically, I could just sit in service mode (with aging mode) and use 16:9...but I'd rather not do that.

tmdorsey

dark10x said:
I suppose it might just be cheaper to find a better switcher solution or something and simply buy a dedicated player...

Exactly. A scaler is not going to be cheaper than a stand alone DVD player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom