• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any first time console owners here?

mumu

Did you buy your first console this gen? Which one did you get (first)? Confess! I have a theory.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
The PS2 was the first I bought with my own personal money.
I want your theory to cry like the little whipped child it is.

Ranger X

WTF is this thread? a study about who we should ignore posting or invalidate their opinion in case it's usefull sometime? lol

In a certain way I have to say yes. I stopped playing videogames for about 8 years and skipped the whole 32-64 Bit era. In between I played three or four games on the PC, but didn't enjoy that very much.

Some day I found out - lurking on the internet - that there was a game called Phantasy Star Online, released on the Dreamcast. It was the november of three years ago. I remembered how much i loved Phantasy Star 2 on my Mega Drive in 1990 and had to buy a used Dreamcast. It was a bad idea! I don't want to know how much I spent since 2001 for all the videogaming crap.

But I love my babies so much. My girlfriend hates them :lol

mumu

Wyzdom said:
a study about who we should ignore posting or invalidate their opinion in case it's usefull sometime?
Hmm i didn't think of that, but no. I believe that first time console owners (if your mom bought you the ones before, you're still not a first time console owner) mostly bought XBOX this gen (in the US)!

Ranger X

mumu said:
Hmm i didn't think of that, but no. I believe that first time console owners (if your mom bought you the ones before, you're still not a first time console owner) mostly bought XBOX this gen (in the US)!

Maybe. Xbox must be benifiting from the "teh cool" factor there.

thorns

Banned
I've been mostly a PC gamer for 10+ years, my first console was an xbox, and I've discovered I can enjoy games more without worrying about installation, framerate etc. AND spend less money on upgrading parts, since my laptop has a POS graphics card. I've never enjoyed games as much as I do now since I was playing Fallout and Planescape: Torment and such back in the day.

Ranger X

thorns said:
I've been mostly a PC gamer for 10+ years, my first console was an xbox, and I've discovered I can enjoy games more without worrying about installation, framerate etc. AND spend less money on upgrading parts, since my laptop has a POS graphics card. I've never enjoyed games as much as I do now since I was playing Fallout and Planescape: Torment and such back in the day.

Wow. I shed a tear.
It took Microsoft to send a PC gamer to the bright side of the force. Welcome in the Jedies of gaming my friend ;)

bitwise

Banned
mumu said:

thats your theory?

Bought PS2 about 2 months after launch. I mainly because I wanted Final Fantasy X and Metal Gear Solid 2.

Bought Gamecube about a month before Super Mario Sunshine came out. I also wanted Metroid Prime and Zelda Wind Waker.

I bought a GBA, and about a week later GBA SP was announced. So I sold my GBA on ebay and intended to buy the SP when it were to come out. I never did.

Instead, ended up using my GBA money to buy an Xbox somewhere aroung early 2003 because I ran into a good deal, a new one for $120 free shipping. I wanted Halo and Splinter Cell.

I've had pretty much every other popular console, but this gen is the first time i bought anything myself.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
I was a PC gamer until I realised dreamcast could do as well as my PC (at the time of course). Since then I'm 100% console and I certainly don't regret much (except good old point&click games, but the whole genre is dead)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Dreamcast was my first console ever. Bought it so I can play Space Channel 5 and Shenmue (of course, later on, I bought more games for it).

I was a PC gamer until I realised dreamcast could do as well as my PC (at the time of course). Since then I'm 100% console and I certainly don't regret much (except good old point&click games, but the whole genre is dead)
That's *exactly* my story. After Dreamcast, Ico on PS2 completely cemented my screw-pc-gaming state of mind at that point. I play P&C adventures on my Pocket PC, btw so I don't miss them :p

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Marconelly said:
Dreamcast was my first console ever. Bought it so I can play Space Channel 5 and Shenmue (of course, later on, I bought more games for it).

That's *exactly* my story. After Dreamcast, Ico on PS2 completely cemented my screw-pc-gaming state of mind at that point. I play P&C adventures on my Pocket PC, btw so I don't miss them :p
Heh, well Shenmue was the game that made me a 100% console gamer. So much in common with the good old P&C, yet so much more too :)
As for the Pocket PC, been there, done that !

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
After waiting for the usual parents to buy me a console kick during the old days, my first was GC then a PS2 the following week. Took awhile for me to grab an Xbox simply because of the games.. was never hugely into Halo or the rest, I blame it on my perception of having a huge Japanese-made games list compared to 2-4 titles by other country developers.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Heh, well Shenmue was the game that made me a 100% console gamer. So much in common with the good old P&C, yet so much more too
Yeah, pretty much the same thing with me. Shenmue was my 180 degree turning point, Ico cemented it, so that I never felt coming back to PC gaming :) And yeah, both games have a lot in common with P&C adventure games, which was probably my favorite genre when it was still alive!

Top Bottom