• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any way to add paddles to a ps5 controller?

jorgejjvr

I would like to avoid buying a controller for $200+.

I would much prefer like a back button attachment, but sony only released it for ps4.

Anything that I can add to my current controller like that?

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
61cVsJeDKHL.jpg

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Hey, he asked. I just remembered seeing this thing once. I remember even seeing one that does it for all 4 face buttons too.

If you dont know how to do solder repair, eventually you're going to pay 200.00$ for controllers anyway if you spend enough time playing games. Not having to buy a new controller for possibly half a decade is worth it. Plus it should work with the Playstation 6, so you're already investing in next generation accessories.

George Costanza Flirt GIF

jorgejjvr

If you dont know how to do solder repair, eventually you're going to pay 200.00$ for controllers anyway if you spend enough time playing games. Not having to buy a new controller for possibly half a decade is worth it. Plus it should work with the Playstation 6, so you're already investing in next generation accessories.

George Costanza Flirt GIF
Ps4 controllers don't work on ps5.

You can't assume a PS5 controller will work on ps6

In fact. I fully expect Sony to force everyone's hand to buy a new ps6 controller

King Dazzar

Hey, he asked. I just remembered seeing this thing once. I remember even seeing one that does it for all 4 face buttons too.
Yeah apparently they don't work very well as the levers need to be pulled/pushed in a very specific direction, yet they allow play if that makes sense. In short they're shit.

J jorgejjvr your only option is to go pro controller or extremerate mod on your existing DS. If you look around there are some places who will do the extremerate job for you. But as long as you dont need to remap things like the thumbstick buttons, you can avoid soldering. Whilst you're in there I'd recommend changing the battery too. Its not the greatest solution though.

I've tried multiple different Pro options and I still end up back with the Edge. Price wise, it is what it is I'm afraid. But it could be worse, some Pro models can be £300 to £400. Which is crazy. There's a really good Hypr Hex going through kick starter at the mo, which is getting a lot of good attention and is likely to be £160ish. But thats not fully onto market I believe for a few more months+.

I was convinced that the PS5 controller would have them standard due to the existence of the PS4 attachment.
Paddles will never be included in standard controllers. Why would they do that when there are plenty of people who are willing to spend a lot of money on a pro controller.

Sorcerer

It boggles my mind that they came out with the DS4 back button attachment and forgot about it for the DS5.
The DS4 back button attachment was a test to see how fans would respond. They responded well. I recall it was hard to find for a while. Sony probably seeing the pro controller market decided they wanted some of that and thus the Edge for $200. I would say they could have had an attachment for the DS5, but it would make no sense since the Edge itself only has 2 back paddles and not 4. Most people would not touch the Edge for $200 if Sony made even just 2 back paddles on the DS5 either molded in or with an attachment.
I think Sony must have taken the positive feedback from the DS4 attachment a bit too literarily and decided people were more than happy with 2 paddles.
I will say the DS4 back button attachment is quite an an amazing achievement. Once it's snapped in it feels like it is molded right into the controller, the paddles are my favorite that I have ever come across and I love that you can program the paddles from that little control center. I guess it would have been impossible to have added 2 extra paddles

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Only partly true. They do work on PS5, but can only be used to play PS4 games. Just no support for native PS5 games.

I don’t think its needed to point out that he was talking about PS5 games there.

Skifi28

An edge is cheaper in the long run considering you can just replace the sticks when they crap out on you instead of having to buy a new controller.

Toots

Gold Member
Hungry Food GIF by TRT

Op you'll try floaters first and if you're good with them and act responsibly we'll get you those grown-ups paddles you fancy.

(more seriously i never even heard about that type of contraption before your thread, but i guess it must be easier on the right thumb for extended playing sessions... Hope you find what you're looking for, otherwise it's DIY time !)

Last edited:

Miles708

It boggles my mind that they came out with the DS4 back button attachment and forgot about it for the DS5.
Nobody forgot anything, they just want you to spend an additional 200$ because they know people are suckers and will do gladly and even thank them.

From their point of view, making the PS4 back button attachment compatible with Dual Sense would have been trivial.

Roxkis_ii

I would much prefer like a back button attachment, but sony only released it for ps4.

They say a poor man pays twice, once on the cheap stuff, then again when when you want something not shit.

Probably a good idea to just save up for the Pro Controller if yiu want decent paddles.

Traxtech

Highly recommend an extremerate kit. I have the rise 4.0, adjustable sticks and the tactile clicky triggers(mouse clicks) and have trouble even using the edge over it.

Very easy to install if you can build Lego

Sethbacca

Doing some searching, I did find this:
http://extremerate.com/products/rub...rubberized-grip-white-redesigned-back-shell-u

Looks like soldering is not required if you don't want use all the features.

Also a link to the paddles in the second post:
I've purchased exactly this, it's not that hard and definitely the cheapest path toward a "pro style" controller. You've just gotta be confident in your ability to deal with small screws and ribbon cables and the like, but there are tons of teardown and how to videos on youtube so if you can follow directions then you'll likely be fine.

Last edited:
Ps4 controllers don't work on ps5.

You can't assume a PS5 controller will work on ps6

In fact. I fully expect Sony to force everyone's hand to buy a new ps6 controller
Not likely with their push into the PC space. It would probably be against some type of EU laws to make a universal USB-C connection port incompatible. Not only that, Sony would have another situation on their hands by having a large number of people chained to their PS4 consoles. They arent stupid. They know people will be more willing to buy a new PS6 console if they can use their PSVR2 headsets Dualsense controllers.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member

You can always try “amazon warehouse” products. These are mostly renewed/refreshed (returned by customers) but you can get expensive hardware on the cheap!

Here is one example: (I have this controller but am not recommending it here…just illustrative)
Amazon PDP Victrix Pro

You can see that they are selling used ones for about $95 bucks instead of the $180. Find a controller you would like and keep an eye on it. Could find a great deal on one and amazon (at least here in the US) has a great return policy esp. around their used goods.

I tend to stick to the Amazon Resale or Amazon Warehouse sources on the Used/Renewed items.

Kings Field

Just get the edge. It’s the best “pro” controller on the market. Before the edge came out I had a PS5 scuf controller and it was alright. Battery life leaves something to be desired but overall it’s the best pro controller I’ve ever used. Well worth the money if you play a lot.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
This thread reminded me that I never picked up a DualSense Edge. Went to Amazon just now, and I see that over 7k have been sold in the last month! Didn't realize people were buying these at such a rate, impressive.

Miles708

No wonder Sony made the 30$ back button attachment incompatible.

I'm disappointed in all the PS5 user base.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

You can always try “amazon warehouse” products. These are mostly renewed/refreshed (returned by customers) but you can get expensive hardware on the cheap!

Here is one example: (I have this controller but am not recommending it here…just illustrative)
Amazon PDP Victrix Pro

You can see that they are selling used ones for about $95 bucks instead of the $180. Find a controller you would like and keep an eye on it. Could find a great deal on one and amazon (at least here in the US) has a great return policy esp. around their used goods.

I tend to stick to the Amazon Resale or Amazon Warehouse sources on the Used/Renewed items.
I have the Victrox Pro that I bought “Like new” from Amazon and it’s a pretty decent controller. $95 is a lot more palatable vs $200 as well.

Top Bottom