• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any way to improve this image for being blown up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I need to print out this image (with some "inside joke" words on it, somewhere) and frame it for a present, but it's pretty damn small. Is there any way to blow it up and, I dunno, touch it up somehow so that it looks as sharp and not-blown-up as possible, if ya know what I mean? I don't think it would need to be more than 75% bigger.

btw, it's a Rembrandt etching that was on display in the Rembrandt exhibition at the Art Institute in chicago earlier this year.

monksneedlovetoo.jpg

Some Vector graphics programs may be able to do a trace of it and then you can scale it whatever size youe want. The resulting image will be just pure black and white though.

Burger

You couldn't trace that, the resulting image would be much worse.

Your only viable option is to find a higher res picture.

Makura

When I have a really bad image as a source, I usually try blowing the image up really big (at least 2x what I want the end result to be) and then using the Image>Adjust>Threshold tool and then shrink to image down so the pixels resample and smooth out. It's usually quite affective, but you need to do it multiple times and layer the different results together to get back all the detail.

There are various programs meant to do exactly this. I did a project in school some months back about image enhancement programs. Mostly things like Eagle that can be done to low-color sprites, but I also looked up some tools used by professional photographers. Unfortunately, the ones that are better aren't free.

Like PhotoZoom Pro. When you save an image in it it places watermarks all over the image. I did try making it as large as I could on screen, though, so I could just Print Screen to show you the effect.

monks2.jpg

I used a quick photoshop to Illustrator trick to do mine. I'd post the image but I don't have webspace available. Looks great though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom