• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

anybody have dish network? what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe

i've been doing some research and i noticed dish network offers better promotions and is slightly cheaper than direct tv. i just wanna know if it the service is crappy?

What kind of promotions are there? And how much cheaper? I'm just now getting DirecTV installed. Been happy with them in the past, plus they have Tivo.

Joe

no activation fee, 4 receivers free with free installation, and free dvr (tivo) and hd receivers.

mrmyth

Their DVR is nothing more than a glorified VCR. No name-based recording, no favorite actors, etc. If you've never had a Tivo, it'll be a step up. If you've had Tivo, it's like going back to 8-tracks.

Picture quality wise, there's no difference between the two services. You'll find people that will argure there are, but you'd need 65 inches to see it. DirecTV has the edge in sports, otherwise the progamming's even.

Phoenix

Customer service wise or price wise I've never had a problem whatsoever with Dish. I did leave them for cable however because I have a 6 bedroom house and putting satellite in the entire house would have been cost prohibitive and required even more dishes on my house which was unacceptable. Now I have 3 actual boxes - 1HD, 1 Comcast PVR, and One regular one in the family room and all of the other rooms have basic cable (something you can't get with satellite at all). Nevertheless when it came time for HDTV (which I have through cable now) I would have left them anyways because the prices for their receivers were absurd.

I have comcast now and unless prices blow through the roof, I'm not going back.

Dish is a pretty good deal actually. You can run more receivers and get an HD Dish on basically straight off. We run 4 receivers at my house no problems with their DVR (admittedly not as good as TIVO), and when they upgraded to HD programming they gave us a spiffy new HD dish completely free. Best deal and best service. Then again DirectTV and Dish Network are the same thing as Dish owns both.

I've been hearing Direct TV promotional ads on the radio... 4 free months of the premium package, and free NFL Sunday ticket.

A couple friends have Dish Network... I think Direct TV is better.

Phoenix said:
Customer service wise or price wise I've never had a problem whatsoever with Dish. I did leave them for cable however because I have a 6 bedroom house and putting satellite in the entire house would have been cost prohibitive and required even more dishes on my house which was unacceptable. Now I have 3 actual boxes - 1HD, 1 Comcast PVR, and One regular one in the family room and all of the other rooms have basic cable (something you can't get with satellite at all). Nevertheless when it came time for HDTV (which I have through cable now) I would have left them anyways because the prices for their receivers were absurd.

I have comcast now and unless prices blow through the roof, I'm not going back.

All you need is one dish and a multi-switch to distribute to the rest of the house. I had five connections going off one dish at my old place.

Lil' Dice

Banned
I love Dish Network, been a customer for over 5 years.
You can get a HD receiver for $150, or $200(forgot the details) if you commit to a year of HD programming. I watched the Falcons/Ravens game in HD last night OMFG!
If you like college football, Dish has the college pack, which is their equivalent of NFL Sunday Ticket, plus they now offer Sirius music channels which are the shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom