• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anybody seen Boogiepop Phantom?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uh... yeah I just finished the last episode. Talk about a mindf***. I *think* I enjoyed it; I'm still trying to digest everything, in terms of the chronology, and small little things I may have missed.

The series definitely has an energy to it that just keeps it trucking.

Um... yeah, so anybody else seen this? What'd you think?

Pellham

Banned
awesome show, but I did not understand most of it. I had to check a boogiepop phantom site later on to get the exact chronology.

it's still an awesome, awesome show, that requires repeat watching to understand it. I love shows like boogiepop.

The show was pretty good, but watching the DVD with 5.1 audio made it a lot better. It has the best rear-channel mix of any anime I've ever seen.

Incidentally I remember some of the production notes on the DVD clearing up some of the story ends, too.

There was a thread from the old boards about the series that convinced me to pick up the (insanely cheap) box set at Best Buy. Great series, although I still have a little trouble wrapping my mind around exactly what happened. I should give it repeat viewing sometime soon.

Yeah, the sound was AWESOME. Although I prefer subs, since the R1 DVD only had 5.1 in the dub, I went with that. There were parts where the sound alone freaked me out.

I might give a couple key episodes a re-watch. The thing that I'm the MOST hazy about is what exactly occurred during the events of the pillar of light. As much as I can tell, it was a huge clusterf*** of things getting killed, things being created (Boogiepop Phantom) and things going into other bodies to preserve the fact that they had just been killed.

Mugen

Banned
How does this anime measure up in terms of fanservice? I just want one more reason to preview this anime.

Mugen

Banned
k... that made me check out the summary which I usually don't do since I want my animes really fresh when I first watch them...

A scream in the night, and in that instant the world changed ... or at least, it appeared to. There have always been forces in the world and voices in the night: some friendly and other malevolent. Invisible until summoned; they slide through dimensions as people walk through doorways. They wait, and watch the doings of Man closely ... each for their own reasons. Sometimes, they appear ... and when they do, the world changes.

Everyone knows about Boogiepop: meet her one dark night and you are taken. People tell each other the stories and laugh: no one believes that she exists in this day and age. Still, there are some strange things that appear to be going on just below the surface. Darkness takes many forms, though. Evil and good intermingle. The glass shatters. Time stands still. There is something in the darkness. You aren't alone. Are you safe?

Five years ago, there was a string of grisly murders that shook the city to its core ... and in the present, psychic echoes reverberate.

It's classified as Drama but from the summary, it sounds like it's horror/mystery. Since it's 12 eps and preety old, I'll just check my local anime rental then. I couldn't find it anywhere else to dl.

IAmtheFMan said:
Yeah, the sound was AWESOME. Although I prefer subs, since the R1 DVD only had 5.1 in the dub, I went with that. There were parts where the sound alone freaked me out.

The real brilliant part was the rear channel radio whispers whenever Boogiepop was in the area. Silent Hill could learn from that, methinks.

Although I can hardly remember even writing it, I did review the series here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom