• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else get the "Unlocking Half Life 2" message from Steam?

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Soon as I booted my PC this morning I got the message from Steam saying that HL2 was being unlocked. Others have confirmed the message on irc. Aside from giving me a heart attack, what else does this do? I was looking around for some sales numbers via Steam and I stumbled across this article:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3755398.stm

Locked copies

Its publisher Vivendi has now said that the game is finished and will go on sale worldwide on 16 November.

The game will also come with the online multi-player shooter, Counter-Strike: Source.

Fans have already been able to get a taste of the online game, buying it direct from the game's makers Valve using a proprietary digital distribution system called Steam.

Valve has been letting members of its online Steam community get hold of encrypted copies of Half-Life 2 over the internet.

It means thousands of people already have the game on their hard drives, but it is locked.

When officially launched, Valve will release the codes to access the encrypted files and start playing immediately.

So uh... Can a dedicated hacker please get crackin? :D

Mrbob

PhatSaqs said:
Is there any word on whether the game will be unlocked/available before the 16th for Steam members?

I doubt it. I didn't buy HL2 yet and checked the HL2 icon in steam and got this message:

"If you pre-order the game now, it will be unlocked and ready for play on the official release day."

Pfucata

This is a failure of Steam (or more likely a victory for the lawyers).

The pre-load was supposed to help people grab stuff such as the art or intro that's not going to change. Once HL2 went gold, Valve was able to send people the full game via Steam. Now, there's no technical reason why we can't play HL2 right now -- it's an artificial delay. If Valve released HL2 on Steam before it made it to retail, a substantial number of gamers would go with Steam instead of retail.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Pfucata said:
This is a failure of Steam (or more likely a victory for the lawyers).

How is this a failure of steam? Steam did exactly what it was supposed to do. The only thing preventing you from playing it is some legal contract binding valve to prevent this. Hell, if I were Valve, I'd make the security intentionally easy to break on this just to piss off the publisher - then anyone who wanted to play it right now could.

ManaByte said:
OOooh did they fix the %n bug?

Counter-Strike: Source Update
October 19, 2004, 7:39 pm · valve
An update to Counter-Strike: Source has just been released. Steam will update itself automatically when you restart. Here is a list of the changes:

COUNTER-STRIKE: SOURCE CHANGES / ADDITIONS:
* Fixed %n exploit crash
* Fixed smoke grenade stacking with repeating sounds
* Fixed smoke grenades getting stuck in cracks and never detonating

ManaByte

Gold Member
Nerevar said:
How is this a failure of steam? Steam did exactly what it was supposed to do. The only thing preventing you from playing it is some legal contract binding valve to prevent this. Hell, if I were Valve, I'd make the security intentionally easy to break on this just to piss off the publisher - then anyone who wanted to play it right now could.

Oh, that's a great idea especially when they are already being sued by the same publiser.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
so what am I going to have to do to get Half Life source?

I don't want a T shirt, and I would prefer a physical copy.

Top Bottom