• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone getting SMT: Nocturne

gunstarhero

Can't decide between this and PM2 - WHAT 2 DO??!

Never played the first PM - not a huge Mario fan, but I can definetly appreciate it. Loved the Mario Superstar (GBA) btw.

Nocturne looks good to me because of the art sytle and whatnot - and of course I hear a good buzz about this game as well.

And I hardly got time to play one of these - so both is out of the question...

Woe is me.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
No one is getting it(SMT)... there have not been a few threads anticipating it at all.

It's all just you. ;)

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Well, for starters;

Do you want a funny laid back RPG, get Paper Mario
Want a serious RPG, Get SMT: N

In the long term, i'm going to guess that SMT: N is going to stay around 40 to $50, and depending on how rare it gets, it might go higher once its out of stock.

Paper Mario will certainly be $30 sometime next year and easy to find.

gunstarhero

In the long term, i'm going to guess that SMT: N is going to stay around 40 to $50, and depending on how rare it gets, it might go higher once its out of stock.

Paper Mario will certainly be $30 sometime next year and easy to find.

I actually thought SMT:N would be in the bargain bin in no time.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
gunstarhero said:
I actually thought SMT:N would be in the bargain bin in no time.

An anticipated Atlus RPG never ends up being cheap.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i've got it preordered at gamerush, but it's unclear whether they're actually getting it in. if it doesn't show up i'll probably skip it for now. looks rad, but i'm not keen on paying full price.

and i'm sure it'll eventually be cheap. you people were saying the same things about disgaea, and i paid all of $5 for that.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
drohne said:
and i'm sure it'll eventually be cheap. you people were saying the same things about disgaea, and i paid all of $5 for that.

That's more luck than anything though. I couldn't find ANY copies of Disgaea after I bought mine last year, and I still haven't seen any.

He's [seems to be] talking more Turok bargain bin than Disgaea for $5 anyway.

Prospero

Even though I probably won't get to it until January 2005 at the earliest, I'll probably pick it up whenever I see it on a shelf, just because I want to support my precious, precious turn-based RPGs.

gunstarhero

Hello, this is Atlus.

... Clearly, you don't have the "thinking" process down yet.

life_pic-657.jpeg

NotMSRP: "So this vagabond stumbles in and asks if Nocturne will be in the bargain bin

Soul4ger: "Surely you jest! What an offensive proposition!"

NotMSRP: "Clearly I jest NOT! This Gunstarhero is clearly a videogame vagrant - anyone who is anyone knows Atlus is the Mercedes of videogames."

Soul4ger: "No doubt my good fellow - this chap is nothing but poppycock!"

NotMSRP: "Cleary. I was left with no choice but to call a faux paaaa, I called gaming FAUX PA!"

Soul4ger: "Oh my, I feel faint!"

:p

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
SMT is going to end up hard to find within three days of release.

Paper Mario will be easy to find. Kingdom Under Fire will probably be bargain bin by January. Otogi 2 will be semi-rare but will definately find itself in the bargain bin on the way.

OutRun 2 will be bargain bin probably within 6 weeks of release.

Bobety

Definitely getting SMT, have it preordered through dvdboxoffice.com, but im a bit worried about whether my copy will ever reach me or not...so many people have been having problems with dvdboxoffice...

Soul4ger

gunstarhero said:
life_pic-657.jpeg

NotMSRP: "So this vagabond stumbles in and asks if Nocturne will be in the bargain bin

Soul4ger: "Surely you jest! What an offensive proposition!"

NotMSRP: "Clearly I jest NOT! This Gunstarhero is clearly a videogame vagrant - anyone who is anyone knows Atlus is the Mercedes of videogames."

Soul4ger: "No doubt my good fellow - this chap is nothing but poppycock!"

NotMSRP: "Cleary. I was left with no choice but to call a faux paaaa, I called gaming FAUX PA!"

Soul4ger: "Oh my, I feel faint!"

Heh, that's actually pretty funny. :-D

Soul4ger

JackFrost2012 said:
SMTIII:Maniacs (Japanese version of our Nocturne) currently sells for $140+ in Akihabara.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Damn, wasn't that the RE-RELEASED version of the game? What the hell, is there a free satchel of pure cocaine packed-in?

Soul4ger said:
Damn, wasn't that the RE-RELEASED version of the game? What the hell, is there a free satchel of pure cocaine packed-in?

Yeah, it sold like 100k+, too. I don't get it. I guess everyone luvs Dante, or something.

ferricide

i don't get why there's no faux "the best" version of SMT3NM then. as is totally plausible in japan, and atlus has done before (the first 3 growlansers are all out under their fake "the best" label IIRC.)

that said, yeah -- SMTN is not going to be around in any great numbers unless the game catches on, and i doubt it'll drop below MSRP very quickly. fwiw, i preordered it. i represent for my boy kazuma.

Soul4ger

ferricide said:
i don't get why there's no faux "the best" version of SMT3NM then. as is totally plausible in japan, and atlus has done before (the first 3 growlansers are all out under their fake "the best" label IIRC.)

that said, yeah -- SMTN is not going to be around in any great numbers unless the game catches on, and i doubt it'll drop below MSRP very quickly. fwiw, i preordered it. i represent for my boy kazuma.

Pre-order copies come with a soundtrack, too, so it was worth it for me.

Prospero

Soul4ger said:
Pre-order copies come with a soundtrack, too, so it was worth it for me.

Where can you pre-order and get a soundtrack? Is it a packed-in second disc, like Phantom Brave's soundtrack?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Prospero said:
Where can you pre-order and get a soundtrack? Is it a packed-in second disc, like Phantom Brave's soundtrack?

Anywhere...

All first run copies include the soundtrack CD. It is not the complete soundtrack, however, but it has quite a few songs. The original SMT III OST was 2 discs and then there was the Maniacs soundtrack. They chose just the best songs from all three CDs and threw them on one disc.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
MoxManiac said:
Got it preordered. Also picked up the monster 400 page guide from double jump. Can't wait!

I did too, I glanced through it, they definitly have a passion for rpgs. Best guide i've seen in awhile, Prima and Brady need to take note.

Soul4ger

Suikoguy said:
Best guide i've seen in awhile, Prima and Brady need to take note.

Agreed, but DoubleJump needs to take note of Brady and Prima's standard price...

Seriously, $20 for a strategy guide is ridiculous. Even $15 is, but it's better than $20, obviously. Someone needs to put a stop to this madness.

shoplifter

Suikoguy said:
I did too, I glanced through it, they definitly have a passion for rpgs. Best guide i've seen in awhile, Prima and Brady need to take note.

Hell, for the most part it's just a translation of Famitsu's Maniacs guide. They've even said as much.

This is what happens with all Atlus RPGs of note:

1. Comes out at $50, sells decently.

2. Major stores wind up with lingering copies and sell them cheaper than MSRP

2 1/2. That Circuit City thing was a massive fluke and I'd not base average Atlus prices on the fact that you found Disgaea for $5

3. Joe Blow finds out months later that the game he ignored actually rocks and pays more than retail for it

You'll likely have a chance to pick it up at a decent price at some point, but that time will be short. However, Atlus has made it clear that very little will be shipped outside of their pre-order amounts. If you don't want to dance around, just pre-order it or pick it up early. You get a soundtrack if you pre-order anyway (a packed-in second disc, since someone asked).

I'm getting this game and have had it pre-ordered for months now. It's been my most wanted game for this entire year and then some... its announcement even got my ass in gear for my MegaTen fansite idea (www.digitaldevildb.com).

As for the guide, $20 is a steal. Brady and Prima guides often have countless inaccuracies. This one is well written (largely attributed to the Japanese guide it is based on, but if that means I get a good guide, then so be it), detailed, has extra (unnecessary, but interesting) information and is freaking 400 pages with two bookmarks and a poster. The walkthrough itself doesn't even start till like page 72. It was worth the extra $5.

I got the guide in the mail over a week ago and was expecting to get the game tomorrow. However, the shipping date slipped a third freaking time. Now it's shipping on the 14th according to all major game sites.

Soul4ger said:
Agreed, but DoubleJump needs to take note of Brady and Prima's standard price...

Seriously, $20 for a strategy guide is ridiculous. Even $15 is, but it's better than $20, obviously. Someone needs to put a stop to this madness.

Have you seen the size of that sucker? Yellow pages ain't got nothing on SMT's guide. And the paper quality and graphics are top notch. I would prefer they used full sized pages, but then it would be the yellow pages.

Here's something strange. Atlus' official website says SMT has shipped to retailers (which means it should be in stores tomorrow). But both GameStop and EB say it isn't shipping till Thursday.

Scott

Korranator said:
So when is the actual retail release date?
Shipped today, according to Atlus.

All of the confusion I've seen is dealing only with GameStop & EBGames (at least so far). They were originally saying that the title would be in on Friday, but quite a few people (myself included) have been receiving calls saying their copy will be in tomorrow.

I'm thinking the release date was just a little fuzzy due to Atlus waiting on getting the title into distribution (waiting in line behind the millions of GTA copies? or something else?), and it ended up shipping earlier than some retailers expected. A similar situation happened with Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, where it was held up for weeks due to MGS2 discs being produced, then ended up shipping before the expected date. Though, that one was a little funnier, seeing as how Black Isle didn't even know their game was out. :p

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Scott said:
All of the confusion I've seen is dealing only with GameStop & EBGames (at least so far). They were originally saying that the title would be in on Friday, but quite a few people (myself included) have been receiving calls saying their copy will be in tomorrow.

The ship date listed on EB (at least, didn't check Gamestop) was listed as 10/12 and was changed *today* to 10/14 though. It certainly sounds like it's going to be in most stores tomorrow if people are getting calls, however.

Lyte Edge said:
The ship date listed on EB (at least, didn't check Gamestop) was listed as 10/12 and was changed *today* to 10/14 though. It certainly sounds like it's going to be in most stores tomorrow if people are getting calls, however.

A guy on the Atlus board said he got that call and then he called them back later and they told him they weren't getting it till Friday, after they'd said they'd have it tomorrow. It doesn't really make any sense that Atlus is saying that its shipped and stores are saying that it hasn't. I haven't seen a game have this happen before.

ferricide

there's a fuckton of games in the pipeline right now. hence the manufacturing delay. i'm not surprised we're seeing shipping delays, too. this is a small title, retailers are not terribly likely to prioritize getting it in over other games that are known quantities, any more than sony is going to shove it forward in the manufacturing pipeline if there's some sort of delay in the system. it'll be here by the end of the week... play some katamari till it comes out, or something. =)

Dsal

it's going to come out of you and it's going to taste so good
I was told Friday as well :(.

The DoubleJump guide is quite saxy though. Lots of well layed-out charts and such.

Does anyone know if any of the Japanese game guides for Nocturne were any good? I collect the Japanese guides for RPGs I like if they have nice artwork or novel charts in them.

B'z-chan

Banned
I need to know if this is in Blockbusters computer cause i want to go and see if i cant get in on this deal over there with gamerush. I would love to play the game but i would be getting it for my friend she's been wanting it for a while now. And even though i have too she kind of deserves it. Plus she bought the guide.

My local blockbuster was unable to find the game in the computer sadly when i called them. So i was just wondering what other name it could be under.

Top Bottom