• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone know what "Namco Vintage" is?

Bad translation via babel from http://www.gamefront.de

Namco plans Namco Vintage

01.11.04 - Namco requested 05.10.04 with the American office for godfather at the trademark protection for the designation ' Namco Vintage '. From the description of entry it follows that it could concern a video game for Arcade or console. Further details to the title are unclear; likewise still no official announcement is present.

Agent X

jarrod said:
Maybe a name change for the upcoming PSP Namco Museum?

There's a Namco Museum being made for PSP? That's the first I've heard of it. What's it supposed to be like?

It's probably just the brand name for the future line of their 'games contained in the controller' thingamajigs that plug directly into the TV.

Priz

Link316 said:
hope this means more arcade compilations on the way, I want Rolling Thunder and Pac Man Jr

Rolling Thunder is on Namco Museum Encore, BUT it's incompatible (or so Sony says) with the PS2. It does play, it just plays at about half speed (we were messing with it a few weeks ago). Amusing thing to note - The songs don't repeat so if you stay on the level for too long, it starts playing music from "Wonder Momo".

jarrod

Banned
Agent X said:
There's a Namco Museum being made for PSP? That's the first I've heard of it. What's it supposed to be like?
No idea, it's only been announced. I expect it'll be similar to the N64, PS2, GBA, GC, Xbox versions (singular release, popular games) rather than the excellent PS1 collection (multidisc anthology with lots of hidden gems). :/

Agent X

jarrod said:
No idea, it's only been announced.

That's good news, then.

jarrod said:
I expect it'll be similar to the N64, PS2, GBA, GC, Xbox versions (singular release, popular games) rather than the excellent PS1 collection (multidisc anthology with lots of hidden gems). :/

Hmm, I don't know. I sure hope not.

I liked the PS1 Namco Museum series the best. It had an excellent mix of popular and obscure games. The only hitches were that they were recreations rather than emulations (arcade purists will notice some alterations were made), and it was difficult to buy all 5 of the discs. When they were first released, they were selling for $50-$60 each. Now you can get Volume 1 or Volume 3 for dirt cheap, but the other three discs are still kind of expensive even on the secondhand market, because they weren't as popular as the other two.

I myself have four of the five PS1 Namco Museum discs. The only one I'm missing is Volume 3. Although it's common, I'm trying to get it in the original packaging with the big "M" on it so it matches the rest of the discs. :)

The PS2 Namco Museum is OK...probably worth getting for the "Arrangement" games, but the older games (not the "Arrangements") aren't really done any better here than they were on the PS1. I still haven't purchased it yet, for reasons I stated in this thread on the AtariAge message board. Here's an excerpt:

It appears that most of the games on the PS2/GC/X-Box Namco Museum were ported directly from the PS1 versions, rather than the arcade. That might not be too bad in and of itself, but as you pointed out, they didn't port over any of the extra features like the "museums" that you could tour, filled with interesting historical content on the games. Also, the PS1 versions of arcade games that had a "portrait" (vertical) orientation generally had the option to do the same on the PS1 (requiring you to do a 90 degree rotation of either the monitor or your head in order to view it properly).

If Namco ever wants to give it another crack (either on PS2/GC/X-Box, or on future systems), then they should offer a package containing every game that has ever appeared on the PS1 Namco Museum discs--but this time emulated from the original arcade games. They could call it "Namco Museum: Curator's Edition." :) Companies like Atari, Activison, and Midway have really raised the bar on what to expect from classic video game compilation packages in the last two years; I'd love to see Namco follow suit.

I think a PSP version done right--with more games and true emulation--could be a big winner. The PSP could even be rotated 90 degrees for true vertical orientation on games like Pac-Man, Galaga, and Xevious. Such a compilation is on my "wish list" for PSP, and I'd sure like to see if happen!

Top Bottom