• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone major in Business or International Business? Or graduated in it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
As a third year Comp Sci major who has lost all desire to be in this field, I'm in a bit of a fix at the moment.
I'm doing a lot of searching, and information finding, and I'm starting to look strongly into the idea of getting an International Business degree. Especially since what I've taken so far in college, swapping my major at this point loses me a lot from the CS course part, but I'm not that fucked, a lot of courses seemingly can be put in the right spots.
Of course websites are one thing, I figured I'd open it up to you chaps.

Yea, I'm an IB from George Washington University, and out of college and into the real world workforce, I do very little work related to it. My advice is to stick out whatever you're doing, 9 times out of 10 (unless you're an engineer) you'll end up working a job that isn't 100% matched to your college studies anyway. My first boss at this job (anti-piracy) went to college for architecture, after graduation she went on to work in intellectual property law and anti-piracy.

I heart sluts was a Comp Sci major, you can ask him about the crunch of CS and how he handled it.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I guess the allure of switching into one of those degrees is it just seems there are more options of potential jobs, locations, people and what not than CS is offering.
Not to mention that in order for me to graduate from this college, I need to get several internships done, and at the rate of success for friends in the field, I have a big block in front of me for getting the degree done here.
Sigh.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I'm in Administrative and Commercial Studies at the University of Western Ontario. It's kind of fun as you need to learn about marketing, production, human resource and finance. If you're interested in them, then I think you should check out business then.

pheurton

well, i have a BS & an MS in Computer Science and currently i am stuck doing IT consulting work. I hardly to any interesting programming its all making report generation, not the most exciting thing. With the job market the way it is i am finding it near impossible to get out of IT. I decided the only way was to go back to school and get yet another degree, this time an MBA, hopefully that will open a lot more doors for me. Knowing what i know, i wouldn't have majored in Computer Science. but that just my opinion.

RevenantKioku

WasabiKing said:
Do what you think you'll love.

Haha, remember Office Space? =P

That's my issue right now, figuring out what I'd love to do. In highschool, I could have told you I loved coding, I loved working on that stuff and so on, but after 3 years of just college, I just don't have the desire to put any effort towards the classes, or following the field, or anything like that.
The only solid studying I've been doing has been my Japanese. Spending six weeks there was a short time, but I was completely blown away. I loved it and want to continue my study. This is why international business is partly appealing. The other appealing part, and this I'm not too sure about, is that the options, just what and who you can work with seems so much richer than Comp Sci. I don't know...

Remember it? I lived it. I actually double optioned in Marketing and Business Computer Telecommunications. 1/2 way into BCT, I was pretty much sick of it, but I finished it out. Anyway, I'm strictly a marketing guy now. I could have made a killing in 2000 with BCT, but being a tech support guy, planning a company's telecommunications structure, and not meeting different people on a daily business would have driven me nuts.

AirBrian

I'm an Accountant and graduated college with a degree in Business and a minor in Management Information Systems. I got a job out of school auditing companies’ IT security. After a couple of moves, the last company I worked for went under and I landed my current job (well, I’m also the liaison between Accounting and IT so it’s not a completely random :) ). Business it good because it can give you a much wider skill set for “corporate America. However, it is much harder to get a job because so many people get business degrees. So if you are confident in your interviewing skills and think you can BS pretty well, then it might be worth it. Also, I highly recommend minoring (or concentrating) in something. But, you’re so far into your degree it might also be worth to just stick it out.

It’s a tough call and one only you can make. You know what your passions are and what makes you happy. Follow those.

Haha, remember Office Space? =P
Great movie, but a little too close to home. :) (I guess that's what makes it so funny to me.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom