• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone pick up the new Cure album?

Status
Not open for further replies.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
B00028HOFY.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Review
If Friday I'm in love made you vomit. This album MAY be for you. Most of the tracks on this disc are deep and dark. Very few cheesy pop songs and lots of distorted guitars and wildly rhythmic drums. Mr. Smiths vocals are upfront and in your face where they belong. Reminds me of the KISS ME, KISS ME days.
Stand out tracks: Lost, Labyrinth, Us or Them and The Promise

I'm getting it next week
jam.gif

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
how could 'friday, i'm in love' make you vomit? it's a fantastic love song. acoustic-fused, poppy songs are my favorite bits from the cure. the long, dragging dark, brooding songs rarely ever click with me -- as such, i'm not a huge fan of the 'bloodflowers' album, but it is growing on me. with that said, the new cure is interesting. it strikes an interesting balance between the poppy cure and the melodramatic, drawn-out cure. it's a pretty damn solid effort for a band generally thought to be long past their prime.

The Cure's poppy stuff is usually better, IMO.

I don't know how anyone can listen to Disintegration all the way through. Most of the songs drag on far too long. There is no reason "The Same Deep Water as You" should be ten minutes.

I really like that "Lost" song, but I didn't really like "The End Of the World." Really bland. I may pick up the album, though. Only $10.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Star Power said:
There is no reason "The Same Deep Water as You" should be ten minutes.

You have to make love to your SO while listening to it to appreciate its value

I am disappointed by it. It sounds...too dated, which is the sound I guess they were sort of going for (an old sound).

Disintegration is a masterpiece. I compare every new cure album to Disintegration and am always disappointed.

I picked it up and I love it. Very solid album, I enjoy all of the songs. I really dig how they were able to make it sound like an older yet timeless album. A must-buy imo.

i hate this new album. maybe it just hasn't grown on me yet, but i was truly disgusted when i first heard it. there's one track, MAYBE more than that, where robert is just whining the same lyric over and over. and that is pretty indicative of the "feel" i get for the whole album. it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. i forget which song it is...but i don't want to listen to it again to remind myself.

i think the cure are past their prime. bloodflowers gets too much flak; it should have been their exit.

and cure not a cheesy-pop band? please...that's how their career got started. listen to their earlier stuff (killing an arab, "staring at the sea" compilation), and tell me they weren't pop.

disintegration >>>>>>> all their other stuff.

Dead

well not really...yet
Yeah, Kiss me kiss me kiss me is one of my favorite cure albums, but im still underwhelmed by this album. bah

I don't know. I really didn't expect a massive, amazing comeback album from the Cure. For the most part, it's really not even the same band anymore.

I think the album is good and is getting more criticism than it deserves... but I'm definitely not amazed. It's kind of just average, although it has grown on me a bit more than when I first got it.

I just heard "Going Nowhere," the track that closes the album EVERYWHERE ELSE BUT THE U.S. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Very nice song and a much better closer than "The Promise."

Anyone else have the non-U.S. version?

karasu

Wow, listening to Disintegration now(new to me). Their influence on APC, mainly Howerdel , is HUMONGOUS.

Alucard

Banned
The artwork is so freaking atrocious. :( I've only heard the single and think it's pretty damn crappy. Hopefully the rest of the album is better.

I absolutely love the album art, personally.

You know, strangely, I liked the single better when they played it on Leno. It had slightly different words and I much preferred them.

Alucard

Banned
Different lyrics or not it doesn't excuse the complete lack of focus and cohesion within the song. It's just so random and uninspired.

And maybe when he's 5 I can have him Photoshop that Dream Theater cover :p

I like it. It's different from most covers out there that just stick as many things as possible on them nowadays.

As for the song, I do think it made a bit more sense with the lyrics on Leno. I don't think it's an amazing song either way, but I did prefer it.

nitewulf

Semjaza Azazel said:
And maybe when he's 5 I can have him Photoshop that Dream Theater cover :p

seriously! i love power/fantasy metal but most of the cover art is just cringe inducing.

anyway, this album isnt crappy at all, its just not one of their structured pop albums, its more at the drive in/mars volta type...more incoherent, noisy. personally i love their melodious pop stuff the best as well. and disintegration and boys dont cry are both fucking fantastic albums.

I like the new album a lot (and the cover art :) ). It's their best offering since "Disintegration" IMO.

Seeing them live for the first time at the weekend, which I'm pretty excited about.

isamu

I just picked it up and I think it's OK so far. Gonna be playing it on and off with the tunes being mixed in my playlist with other tunes from the Join the Dots Box Set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom