• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

anything interesting going in chicago this weekend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ill be partying on the gold coast with some buddies saturday night...

sunday ill be at six flags great america.

ill be signing autographs at both events..

i dunno about whats going on dude, but if you are 21+, plenty of cool places to drink in chicago...

they used to have a Disney Quest, which I would have recommended going to, but they closed that down :( i loved that place..

if you are into museums and shit like that, chicago has one of the best museum scenes in the world...

also, navy pier is pretty cool... fireworks every wedne and either fri or sat... lots of shit to do there...

Sears Tower

Buckingham Fountain

Navy Pier

Art Institute of Chicago

Walk up Michigan Ave and State Street

Water Tower

China Town

Music Box Theatre

House of Blues

Field Museum

Lots of stuff to do... what do you have in mind? Keep in mind that their 8.75 sales tax sucks...

House of Blues, good call... you'll also see Marina City, the towers that rise above the house of blues.. thats where I want to live one day when I have enough money... and they are also in the background of the new "overnight celebrity" video by twista..

michigan ave/state st, great streets to browse...

sears tower is also amazing, you can see my house in the suburbs from it... it amazes me, that driving down a street in my suburb (st charles ave) i can actually see the sears tower.. its so fucking tall..

the area around ohio/lasalle is alot of fun too.. hard rock cafe, rock n roll mcdonalds, ESPN Zone, etc etc.. all there..

watch out for bums that want money, they are the meanest, craziest, most harassing bums in the world in chicago..

also, check out wrigley field or comiskey park if you get the chance.. just dont wander far from comiskey...

and also check out cabrini green if you get the chance.. you'll get to see the setting for the original "candyman" movie.. stop and see the locals, they are very nice.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Fuck Navy Pier. That place is boring as hell for more than an hour, and they put North Pier out of business years ago. FUCK'EM, I SAY!

Also, if you want pizza, people will tell you Giordano's or Uno's or Gino's East is best... I say...

Exchequer's Pizza

I've tried them all, and Exchequer's is by far the best. Roger Ebert says so, and he's got his picture hanging on the wall, so who's to argue? 226 S. Wabash, get a deep dish spinich pizza and tell me how much it rocks...

chicago pizza is truelly the best..

but go get a chicago style hot dog if you want the best hot dogs in the world.

i aint into either personally, i enjoy a cheap hotdog from the park, or a cheap pizza myself.

*HOWEVER* ---> Do stop at GARRETT'S popcorn in Chicago, there are like 4-5 locations.. they have the best popcorn in the city, albeit a little expensive.. the caramel crisp is *AMAZING*... or get chicago style popcorn with the mix of caramel and cheese...

taste of chicago is a madhouse... but still fun..

try to really see as much of chicago as possible though.. its really huge, from the northern most point down to the southern tip that touches indiana, there is alot of land, and alot of different, EXTREMELY different neighborhoods...

if you can make it out to franklin park/maywood area, there is "johnnie's beef" which has the best beefs in Chicago, and has been featured on Food network... i make a trip to it once a week about to get an amazing beef... but thats a little out of your way if you are staying downtown..

maybe try to get tickets to go to an opera or jerry springer taping if you are in town on friday day?

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
i would not recomend the opera n chicgvaogo. reasno number 1, , it mostly contains large amounts of of OPERA>

demon said:
i would not recomend the opera n chicgvaogo. reasno number 1, , it mostly contains large amounts of of OPERA>

good call..

and when looking for the boat.. The boat may be hidden under some sticks... or branches.

Guzim

jordan_Statue.jpg

Tortfeasor

If you hit the taste make sure to stop at Dominicks (the local grocery chain) to pick up food tickets... They are cheaper there than if you buy at the fair.

xsarien

daedsiluap
demon said:
Fuck Navy Pier. That place is boring as hell for more than an hour, and they put North Pier out of business years ago. FUCK'EM, I SAY!

I'd agree, except they have minigolf, and minigolf pwns.

Also, I second the baseball game suggestion.

if you can make it out to franklin park/maywood area, there is "johnnie's beef" which has the best beefs in Chicago, and has been featured on Food network... i make a trip to it once a week about to get an amazing beef...

It's in Oak Park, fool, don't be dissing. And if you're in this direction for food you may as well stop off at Gene and Jude's on Grand and River road to get a couple double-dogs.

ill be signing autographs at both events..

Pardon my curiosity, but why?

My Recommendations: Friday night, go bar-hopping if you've never been here before.

Saturday, watch the Cubs/Sox game at some place in Wrigleyville, take the El downtown and drunkenly eat some great food and watch the fireworks.

Sunday, while coming off your drunken revelry drive around looking for some pick-up 16-inch softball games and join the fun.

actually you are wrong, its in elmwood park... 7512 W North Ave is in Elmwood Park...

never been to gene and jude's but have heard about it...

and i was just kidding about the autograph thing.. but maybe you'll want mine anyways for correcting you on the city? :)

as for people recomending the cubs/white sox game, you wont be going unless you got alot of spare cash around, it will be sold out, and scalped tickets will be expensive... dont get too into chearing for the cubs there though, there are generally TONS of fights at the crosstown games, particularly in comiskey...

reggieandTFE said:
It's in Oak Park, fool, don't be dissing. And if you're in this direction for food you may as well stop off at Gene and Jude's on Grand and River road to get a couple double-dogs.

Pardon my curiosity, but why?

My Recommendations: Friday night, go bar-hopping if you've never been here before.

Saturday, watch the Cubs/Sox game at some place in Wrigleyville, take the El downtown and drunkenly eat some great food and watch the fireworks.

Sunday, while coming off your drunken revelry drive around looking for some pick-up 16-inch softball games and join the fun.

actually you are wrong, its in elmwood park... 7512 W North Ave is in Elmwood Park...
Haha, you're right now that I think about it, I forgot that elmood park reached North Avenue. Touche. Their pepper and egg sandwiches they serve during lent are godly as well...

i guess in this case, two wrongs made a right huh?

i got it wrong, then you... which forced me to google johnnies beef...

i never had their pepper + egg, just their beefs! will try it next lent however...

If you like Country music. This weekend at the Taste of Chicago is Country Music Festival. Gay Pride parade is a riot too. And a big 7th for the Cubs vs. Sox. You might even be able to score tickets for that one not too expensively.

BojTrek

Banned
Gene and Jude's sucks ass... I like my hot dogs with Ketchup, Tomato, and Pickles...

Gene and Jude's only offers Mustard, Onion, Relish and Peppers... screw that...

My wife loves Gene and Jude's... I have to eat them plain and put the fries on top as a condiment.

I love Hero's Subs on Addison/Western across from Lane Tech High School and about a mile west of Wrigley...

But the Cubs/Sox series is probably sold out, the Taste should be packed... but we expect great weather...

Tortfeasor

BojTrek - That is because hot dogs are only supposed to have Mustard, Onion, Relish and Peppers on them! Maybe pickels too... :)

Ketchup though?!?!? ICK!!!

The best, most authentic Italian pizza outside of Italy i've EVER EVER EVER had would be at Pizza D.O.C. (not pronounced 'dock'). God damnit go there if you want the absolute best in pizza. Leave 'chicago pizza' for another weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom