• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apollo 11 54 years ago.

I remember that time he punched the journalist in the face when he asked if the moon landing was fake. That was magical lol.

Edit - oh damn, I literally didn’t see the post right before mine 😂

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
I remember that time he punched the journalist in the face when he asked if the moon landing was fake. That was magical lol.

Edit - oh damn, I literally didn’t see the post right before mine 😂
The funny part is that is Buzz's daughter in yellow, she just walked away, because she knew what dad was going to do.

Quasicat

I met Neil Armstrong while in high school at the rededication of the Auglaize County airport that was being named after him. He only came on the understanding that very few people were there as he hated groups of people fussing over him…there were nine of us that were there when he landed. It was one of my best memories of high school and it was a crapshoot that I was even invited.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
The concept of people on the moon still blows my mind. The mathematics involved is just insane, let alone the engineering.

I would encourage anyone to take a deep dive into the calculations that come into play when sending someone to the moon. I honestly feel that 99% of the people don't fully grasp the monumental achievement that it is, and legit think sending someone to the moon is basically shooting a rocket into orbit and the rest comes naturally.

Easily a pinnacle of humanity. Absolutely crazy.

Kilau

it's crazy how they lost the technology to go back to the moon.

Here We Go Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

The concept of people on the moon still blows my mind. The mathematics involved is just insane, let alone the engineering.

I would encourage anyone to take a deep dive into the calculations that come into play when sending someone to the moon. I honestly feel that 99% of the people don't fully grasp the monumental achievement that it is, and legit think sending someone to the moon is basically shooting a rocket into orbit and the rest comes naturally.

Easily a pinnacle of humanity. Absolutely crazy.
Meh. I've played Kerbal Space Program. You just boost until the orbit thingy goes past the moon. Big deal.
/s

Johnny2Bad

The 2019 Apollo 11 documentary with restored footage is on Hulu if anyone hasn't seen it. It's awesome. What an achievement for mankind.

I was eating in a restaurant and the waitress asked me what plans I had for the evening. I told her I was watching a movie, Apollo 11. She said " Oh cool, Tom Hanks was great in that." :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Man has been going there for a while, but not through the Apollo. You can go but it's impossible to return.

Last edited:

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief and Nosiest Dildo Archeologist
A great achievement forever tarnished by the fact Nazi War Criminals played a pivotal role in it, IMO.
Most of the war criminals were either caught or fled to Argentina.

There were none working for NASA's space program. They were simply scientists with no real interest in the Nazi regime, other than using them for further scientific advancement and research.

Sure, they did turn a blind eye to what was going on, but

Last edited:

Dr.D00p

There were none working for NASA's space program. They were simply scientists with no real interest in the Nazi regime, other than using them for further scientific advancement and research.

Von Braun was an enthusiastic supporter of Hitler and knowingly used forced slave labour to build his V1s and V2s.

He was a war Criminal

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

There were none working for NASA's space program. They were simply scientists with no real interest in the Nazi regime, other than using them for further scientific advancement.

Werner von Braun was a Nazi party member and member of the SS. He developed the V2 rocket, which had the express purpose of attacking civilian targets, and the production was done with slave labor, all of which he was in the loop for during the entire process.

He downplayed his involvement afterward...as they all did. But he didn't need to join the SS to work on his projects. And he could’ve not built weapons of mass destruction for the most evil totalitarian regime in history. The scientists of good character left Nazi Germany. He embraced it.

All the Nazis played it the same way after they lost the war. They downplayed their involvement, claimed no knowledge of what was going on, claimed coercion, claimed innocence. A country full of innocent bystanders. Reality is the opposite.

Top Bottom