• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple drops its new 30 inch HD display for $3299

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodcow

display30title06282004.gif

display30image06282004.jpg

display30litany06282004.gif

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Well I've already sold most of my vital organs to get a 9800 Pro. Looks like I'll be diving into the seedy world of male prostitution to afford this...

Prospero

I don't know what I'd use that for, but I want one.

Sometimes I think I should just go ahead and shell out $5,000 for a high-end system, and relieve myself of computer envy for the next seven or eight years.

Bregor

Prospero said:
I don't know what I'd use that for, but I want one.

Sometimes I think I should just go ahead and shell out $5,000 for a high-end system, and relieve myself of computer envy for the next seven or eight years.

Within six months you would be jealous of the new stuff that was released.

Prospero

Yeah, I know--I upgrade my computer every five or six years on average anyway. I've learned to live with high-end envy, but it's a continuing battle. (*sigh*)

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I saw this last night and almost posted them.

They are hot.

I guess in the end a more affordable dual monitor set up would meet my needs. But those are sexy :(

cs060mk2

23 inch widescreens are showing up for PC's now. Apples displays can be used on a PC with a convertor box but resolutions under 800x600 may not show up depending on you gfx board. Also textmode screens wont show up either depending on your gfx board (which means no bios screen for you).

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
What is the pixel refresh?

Also, how do they get away with charging that much?

Refresh? You mean latency? Good question, and I'm sure Apple would rather not answer it.

As for the price, LCDs get exponentially expensive based on size, so the pricetag isn't surprising. The failure rates at the factory are probably enormous. More important is the fact that the screen requires two inputs in order to work - if you don't have a dual DVI Card, you're hosed.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Apple's older displays used a proprietary connector called Apple Display Connector (ADC). This cable included a DVI video signal, power, and USB 1.0. To connect them to a PC, you needed an ADC to DVI converter.

The new displays have a special cable that splits at the end into standard DVI, USB 2.0, and Firewire cables to be connected to any PC or Mac, and the monitors all have two USB 2.0 and two Firewire ports on them.

The 30" monitor requires TWO DVI CONNECTORS. So currently the only card that supports it (for Macs anyway) is the GeForce 6800, which Apple sells for $599. I don't think the 30" monitor will work with two separate cards -- it has to have two DVI connectors on the single card.

DaCocoBrova

This LCD or a plasma? If it's an LCD, I want to know the pixel response time.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Umm you only need a second DVI if you want to use dual monitors.

You don't need dual DVI to run this monitor

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
scola said:

You absolutely do need dual DVI to run the 30" monitor. Click the link in my post above.

scola said:

Well, you are wrong.

You need the graphics card that has dual DVI on it.

If you want two 30" Cinema Displays, you need DUAL dual DVI.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Ah I see it is a single cable on a card that supports the "dual link" digital signal standard. That is where I was confusing things. Could that be a more ambiguous name :p

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
scola said:
Ah I see it is a single cable on a card that supports the "dual link" digital signal standard. That is where I was confusing things. Could that be a more ambiguous name :p

Yeah, it's basically dual monitors on one monitor :)

Of course 2560 x 1600 is an insanely huge number of pixels, so I guess it's not that surprising!

Prospero

SteveMeister said:
Of course 2560 x 1600 is an insanely huge number of pixels, so I guess it's not that surprising!

Which brings up the question--do we yet have manufacturing technology that prevents dead pixels reliably enough to make purchasing one of these low-risk? Because even if there are over four million pixels in each display, if I were to pay $3,000+ for one of these, I wouldn't want a single dead one. (Well, maybe I'd tolerate one, in a corner somewhere.)

DaCocoBrova

This is just an LCD. The native resolution is what it will look best with. Anything else will not look so good.

Too pricey for a 30" LCD. That's Apple for you.

Cooper

DaCocoBrova said:
This is just an LCD. The native resolution is what it will look best with. Anything else will not look so good.

I haven't seen this particular monitor, but most modern fixed pixel displays I've seen do a pretty good job at scaling non-native resolutions. Certainly better than "not so good." But yes, native (or an integer multiple) will look best.

sonatinas

DaCocoBrova said:

Too pricey for a 30" LCD. That's Apple for you.

cause it isnt for you, it is for developers and professionals

this size is perfect for people working in film,graphics, and printing where screen size matters

Do you really need a Power Mac G5 to use this monitor? What if I had a PC with an Nvidia 6800 Ultra, could I use that as well?

xsarien

daedsiluap
DaCocoBrova said:
What is the pixel refresh?

Also, how do they get away with charging that much?

Having the hardware people, the operating system people, and the driver people under the same roof comes at a premium.

cvkpaladin said:
Do you really need a Power Mac G5 to use this monitor? What if I had a PC with an Nvidia 6800 Ultra, could I use that as well?

Not likely. According to the specs, this 6800 model used is a new and possibly exclusive variant that uses dual link (probably double bandwidth) DVI ports. The monitor itself only has one DVI plug - allowing the 6800 to run 2x 30" monitors - but each DVI port must be dual-link compatible to handle the extra resolution.

This dual link standard sort of took me by surprise. I'm wondering if this is just an adaptation of DVI-HD. We've seen an a special order curve monitor that is 40+ inches that needs 4 DVI ports to run - I wonder if that was a DL DVI device, or just a 4x DVI device.

Mashing

That's not even the start... that go-l.com site has some wicked shit... They have computers that are out of this world... I mean top of the line stuff

*drools over those Puma drives*

The requirements for the 30inch screen are a littly insane. You also would have to use the new GeForce card just to get the thing to work...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom