• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

I have been using a 3G (that i bought for $50 as it was completely broken) since the year it came out, maybe I should upgrade one day. I don't know $500 is a lot of money and I doubt it's that much faster than the 3G, I haven't tried anything beyond a 3GS though.

It should be significantly faster than a 3G. Going from 3G to vanilla 4 was already huge.

massoluk

Banned
Can someone help me understand the advantage of 64-bit in a smart phone? I understand the benefits in a desktop... but in a smart phone???
My phone.
cL9CwAi.png
eZNueYl.png

Yoshiya

I'm really, really surprised that the gap in price between the 5S and 5C is only $100 and that Apple hasn't used the opportunity here at all to move into even slightly lower cost markets ("C" is for colours and not China then). Due to the deterioration of the exchange rate in Australia, the 5S is $70 more expensive than last year's base 5 and the 5C all of $60 cheaper than last year's flagship.

I think the 5S seems like a genuinely exciting product given the SoC advancement + iOS 7's redesign and reengineering, but the 5C is extremely underwhelming. Unless those cost savings are used to pursue larger markets I don't see why Apple need have sacrificed its materials differentiation vs Samsung. The $220 16GB touch has aluminium construction; it's not cost prohibitive on a phone that's over twice that price with the same storage and one generation's advancement in processing.

I say this as someone with a MBP on my lap and an iPad mini next to it - I love Apple products and design but iPhones are still too rich for my blood. Unfortunate.

No Pvr 6 GPU. Such a disappointment.

Is that because of OpenGL ES 3 or a guess based on power improvement? It'd be more Apple's inclination to use the newest design available in a lighter configuration to maximise efficiency - it doesn't seem like there are easy processing gains to be had still at the current architecture (more sub-linear scaling with added die area). Didn't the Epic guy say "5x" GPU power?

AzerPhire

I don't know what people were expecting in terms of new features. Samsung, LG, Nokia and Sony are all stuck in the same boat where new phones are incremental upgrades over the last one.

Ghazi

a 5s should be light years faster than a 3 or 3Gs

It should be significantly faster than a 3G. Going from 3G to vanilla 4 was already huge.
I guess I'll just go to an Apple store and try it out. I don't like the 3G's speed but it doesn't freeze often and works well enough for me (texting, calling, Internet browsing, occasional games).

Here I'll ask to see someone's OG 5 in a minute and try it out

5S sounds like a power house with the new A7, the only thing I dislike is the ring around the home button, I would prefer it if the colour was matching the face of the phone to hide it better.

Let's not bring up the 5C...

TommyT

So what's the benefit of a fingerprint scanner other than security?

I didn't watch the event, but reading The Verge it said it couldn't be accessed by apps. So it doesn't seem like there will be one? A buddy joked: "Now when they steal your iPhone they'll cut off your finger too."

Appleman

I didn't watch the event, but reading The Verge it said it couldn't be accessed by apps. So it doesn't seem like there will be one? A buddy joked: "Now when they steal your iPhone they'll cut off your finger too."

I think the API is available for apps to use, but your actual fingerprints aren't, for security's sake

zhorkat

Can regular applications use the fingerprint scanner to authenticate you? Or is Apple restricting that so only its apps can use it?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
That Space Gray is ugly.

Everyone that made fun of white iPhones in the past are now going to have to get one.
KuGsj.gif

I didn't expect much, so I can't say I'm disappointed...

"Space Gray" does look really nice, though. Definitely better than the black version of the 5.

Is it weird that they redesigned all the icons for the built in apps to reflect iOS7 but none of the ones that you download for free?

Top Bottom