• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

Jarmel

Banned
I didn't watch the event, but reading The Verge it said it couldn't be accessed by apps. So it doesn't seem like there will be one? A buddy joked: "Now when they steal your iPhone they'll cut off your finger too."

Are you fucking serious?

I'm fucking dying over here.

I will probably upgrade later this year or even possibly wait. No rush for me, my 4S is still holding on strong.

Only thing I really like is the new camera.

TommyT

I do have some good ideas if using the API is true:

You can prevent texts/emails/folders/specific contacts from being read/opened/seen unless you give the appropriate fingerprint. Apple, helping people cheat with the iPhone 5S!

This might sound crazy, but I may just have a differing opinion to yours :O

I bought a white iPhone 5 because didn't really like the bluish tint on the black model, but this doesn't have that problem anymore. I think it's an improvement.

Also, I think the 5C looks cheap and juvenile. So there.

Wasn't expecting much from 5s, so this fingerprint thingie helps. Still, it's pretty amazing; I thought fingerprint scanners required swiping or red led underneath.

Lima

This might sound crazy, but I may just have a differing opinion to yours :O

I bought a white iPhone 5 because didn't really like the bluish tint on the black model, but this doesn't have that problem anymore. I think it's an improvement.

They only changed it to make the scuffs less noticeable. Really half-assed if you ask me.

Swag

Would've been awesome if they had put a circular LED around the home button to make it easier to see if you have a notification on the phone.

zhorkat

I do have some good ideas if using the API is true:

You can prevent texts/emails/folders/specific contacts from being read/opened/seen unless you give the appropriate fingerprint. Apple, helping people cheat with the iPhone 5S!

Locking an app so it can only be opened if you have the right fingerprint would be pretty neat.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I didn't expect much, so I can't say I'm disappointed...

"Space Gray" does look really nice, though. Definitely better than the black version of the 5.
Yeah, I don' t know about that. It seems more like something they've done to avoid the edge stripping problem, but it looks very much like step back in design to what they had before (black + silver ring on 4 and 4S). At least it's darker and not bright silver.

mrkgoo

Is it weird that they redesigned all the icons for the built in apps to reflect iOS7 but none of the ones that you download for free?

I imagine they will come, if not already done and getting an update on ios7 launch day.

Unlike the built in ones, we're just seeing the betas!
And that said, find my iPhone was updated with new ios7 style icon.

massoluk

Banned
Calling it now. Within a year, widespread reliability issues with the fingerprint sensor.

You can opt for old school log in in addition to fingerprints, right? Or I could imagine widespread complain about people totally locked out of their phone because of smudge on their fingers or something like that.

twofold

All phones cost around that much unsubsidized. Are you guys really that surprised?

Here in the UK, on Amazon, you can buy the Galaxy S4 16gb for £427 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BULAUWG/), the HTC One 32gb for £424 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000NTBLV0/), and the Xperia Z for £378 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00AXXOXJI/).

The iPhone 5c, in comparison, costs £469 for the 16gb model, and the 5s 16gb costs £529.

The iPhone prices aren't in line with the costs of other high end handsets.. In the UK, at least.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I think the gold one is hot. I'd go with it. As a 4S opener, I'm open to the idea of upgrading. I might just wait and see what the 5 is going for after the 5S launch.

FeD.nL

Really interested to see how the competition is gonna handle their fingerprint solutions. Since authentec, the company Apple bought, has the patent on the paste that looks like glass. Without it you cannot use the reader and since the competition can't use that solution we might see the swiping from other manifacturers.

subrock

You can opt for old school log in in addition to fingerprints, right? Or I could imagine widespread complain about people totally locked out of their phone because of smudge on their fingers or something like that.

yep, swipe to unlock will probably take you to the pinpad just like now.

edit: actually, maybe that would be a security issue. hmm.

mrkgoo

Locking an app so it can only be opened if you have the right fingerprint would be pretty neat.

Too configurable for apple, but I can imagine them doing something more widespread like a parental mode.

Imagine an iPhone for your kid (eventually not a 5s now, lol), where if they used it they get the locked down version, but YOU can get the other features, such as system settings.

Maybe even multiple users/logins for iPads? It would be the apple way of doing things. No login screens, but built in user profiles and apps.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I don't understand the point of the 5c, for $100 more you can upgrade to a much better 5s.

It's not as if the 5c is cheap off contract or even on contract.

Rootbeer

Banned
Since so many are obsessed with Android these days, hoping I can just walk into the store and get one on launch day no problems. That's what I did with my 4S.

I imagine they will come, if not already done and getting an update on ios7 launch day.

Unlike the built in ones, we're just seeing the betas!
And that said, find my iPhone was updated with new ios7 style icon.

Ya, but they're being used on the information page for the iPhone 5S. So it's kinda weird if they are going to change at launch. It just seems inconsistent

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Nice upgrades, but not worth the update if you got the 5... I'll be waiting for the 6.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
iphonegold2l8sl5.jpg

It looks so tacky lol

I was hoping that the 5S would be my first smartphone (I'm still running with an LG Shine...) but the 32gb ended up being priced higher than I was hoping.

So what are the current Android competitors to the 5S? Galaxy S4 and HTC One?

I was hoping that the 5S would be my first smartphone (I'm still running with an LG Shine...) but the 32gb ended up being priced higher than I was hoping.

If you're coming from an iPhone, I highly recommend an HTC One. It'll be a fairly smooth transition.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

I'd get the galaxy, pretty sweet.

Toki767

Galaxy S4, HTC One, LG G2, maybe Moto X, and the Xperia Z1 when that comes out.

Top Bottom