• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

jBpRY5tTfUAVS.png

Heisenberg uses the world's shittiest old flip phones, though. Oh wait, yeah... Nokia.

Vire

I see you are enjoying trolling this thread, but do you really think you are adding anything meaningful here?

As a simple counterpoint:

-Better battery
-Better camera
-Better OS
-Better security (fingerprint scanner)
-Better colors
-Better LTE
-Better processor

Battery/Camera are so incredibly marginal that it's not worth upgrading.

OS 7 is available for free on my iPhone 5...Also, Gold is better? What?

Processor and Fingerprint scanner are really the only two big upgrades.

codhand

I see you are enjoying trolling this thread, but do you really think you are adding anything meaningful here?

yes i am enjoying it.

i'm adding that i have .flac support and 80gbs for half the price

As a simple counterpoint:

-Better battery... than what?
-Better camera... than what?
-Better OS...agree.
-Better security (fingerprint scanner)... dont care
-Better colors... lul
-Better LTE... we dont know yet
-Better processor... same ram

pxleyes

Banned
Battery/Camera are so incredibly marginal that it's not worth upgrading.

OS 7 is available for free on my iPhone 5...Also, Gold is better? What?

Processor and Fingerprint scanner are really the only two big upgrades.

Most people are on a 2 year upgrade cycle. For those coming from a 4S, it is a HUGE upgrade.

pxleyes

Banned
yes i am enjoying it.

You also have a phone with a worse OS and worse construction.

yes i am enjoying it.
-Better battery... than what? Than the 5.
-Better camera....than what? Than the 5.
-Better OS...agree.
-Better security (fingerprint scanner)....dont care Others will. Your opinion isn't the standard here.
-Better colors - lul lul, you probably have a phone with shitty port covers and a thin plastic back.
-Better LTE - we dont know yet More bands = more support. hard to argue with that.
-Better processor...same ram Better processor
I can play this game too.

Mr Swine

Banned
I don't get why people say that 5S is just a minor spec bump if the 64bit A7 really is twice as fast as the A6 in iPhone 5?

jrcbandit

SD card support and experience in Android is horrible, dunno why you'd want it, aside from Apple ripping people off with their absurd pricing for flash size upgrade. The HTC one default is 32gb for the base model and 64gb is only $50 more I believe, that's how it should be done. No dealing with SD card 0 and SD card 1/external mess.

I figure they could simply just have an API that responds with success or failure when you use the scanner which would prevent access from the fingerprint data. Either way, some way for apps to interact with it would be something I hope would justify this being built into the phone.

I imagine they have to. Why bother putting it in the OS if it doesn't have Dev API access.

Axion22

I don't get why people say that 5S is just a minor spec bump if the 64bit A7 really is twice as fast as the A6 in iPhone 5?

buying into the idea that specs make the device, here, on a video games forum where they know about a company called nintendo.

xtop

I really have no idea what you guys were expecting for the 5s. It's the 5 but better.

same complaints every year. but always a pretty big upgrade for people on 2 year contracts

pretty funny people still believe in the mp myth though

Give me the reasons that 5S is worth the extra 100 dollars from the 5C

Please :)

More future-proof is my main draw. I don't plan on upgrading each year and if I get a 5S I want it to last 3-5 years. Given how Apple invariably releases some bullshit new feature on the next iOS that they claim won't run on older gen phones, I'm betting the 5C will be largely obsolete in 2-3 years.

CronoShot

Is 1GB of RAM really an issue? I know most flagship Android phones are 2GB+, but I don't recall any developers ever complaining that the 5 doesn't have enough RAM. Is iOS just not as much of a memory hog?

Fuchsdh

Well, what does it do that makes it super meaningful? iPhone 5's are already fast as hell.

I think the point is they're future-proofing their phones and especially their iPads which I assume will hit the 4GB limit pretty quickly. It'll be faster, but how fast will depend on how optimized the software on it is.

It's not mind-blowing, but it's kind of cool. Apple has always been at the forefront of stuff like this so I expect we're going to see phones go 64 bit in two years or so.

I might get a 5S if I can't find a good no-contract deal. I'm due for an upgrade in November but don't want to keep shelling out $80 a month.

Also Apple deserves kudos for making a gold phone that doesn't look completely ostentatious. Toss up between silver and gold for my favorite, will have to see them in person to decide.

kaskade

same complaints every year. but always a pretty big upgrade for people on 2 year contracts

pretty funny people still believe in the mp myth though

That might be the worst part. The camera will be better in basically every way. But since it doesn't say 10 or 12 mpx people think it's shit.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Is 1GB of RAM really an issue? I know most flagship Android phones are 2GB+, but I don't recall any developers ever complaining that the 5 doesn't have enough RAM. Is iOS just not as much of a memory hog?

well for games, more ram is always nice.

codhand

You also have a phone with a worse OS and worse construction.

i agree. and i still prefer it. 80gbs, $599, .flac, that's it for me.

s4, worse construction
s4, worse os

there now im not a total troll, plus love my ipad 3.

those bullet point retorts...

better than 5? great!

how about better than the comp?

Arkanius

I'm just happy that Apple just showed that HTC did the right decision on the bigger sensor camera > higher megapixel camera.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I think the point is they're future-proofing their phones and especially their iPads which I assume will hit the 4GB limit pretty quickly. It'll be faster, but how fast will depend on how optimized the software on it is.

It's not mind-blowing, but it's kind of cool. Apple has always been at the forefront of stuff like this so I expect we're going to see phones go 64 bit in two years or so.
Yeah, it's just a well-timed move for the future. Especially timing it with the release of iOS where devs are already going to be updating apps, 64-bit support will probably be widespread pretty quickly. By the time 64-bit-requiring memory sizes are industry standard everything will already be ready for 64-bit.

It's not like, huge or anything, but it's a pretty smart move.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
yes i am enjoying it.

Why do you need those things?

I bet that even with real audio equipment and nice headphones in a blind listening test you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between FLAC and a properly encoded V0 mp3. Let alone on a phone.

If you're storing all of your media (entire photo and music collection, etc) on your phone, you're doing it wrong.

dorkimoe

I was (cautiously) optimistic they'd try to pull a Nexus 4 like pricing structure and offer the phone at $300-400 off contract since that seems to be all the rage with carriers these days. Instead they rebadged the 5, threw some color on it, and basically charged the same price.

did they post the off contract price yet? (not being a smart ass, i havent looked)

I would think it would be 299 off contract..has to be

did they post the off contract price yet? (not being a smart ass, i havent looked)

I would think it would be 299 off contract..has to be

5C price? it's about $50 cheaper then the old 5 is/was, you would think they would aim for a bigger price cut with that plastic shell looking like a fisher price toy.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
5C price? it's about $50 cheaper then the old 5 is/was, you would think they would aim for a bigger price cut with that plastic shell looking like a fisher price toy.

The inside is a slightly better iPhone 5. It's the standard price cut they always do for the previous model phone. Why are people surprised by this?

codhand

I bet that even with real audio equipment and nice headphones in a blind listening test you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between FLAC and a properly encoded V0 mp3. Let alone on a phone.

so two people have now accused me of not knowing the difference between flac and lossy formats, when listening through car speakers (bet you didnt think of that) or BT audio equiptment, or yes...good quality headphones

also my apple employee friend telling me about "biometrics" and "ram is an outdated spec"

his exact words, i mean...

will say im curious about these "flac apps" i'm now suddenly hearing about, i was aware of the macintosh plugin back in the day that converted flac to a useable format in iTunes/iPhone, but that's it

Risette

A Good Citizen
so two people have now accused me of not knowing the difference between flac and lossy formats, when listening through car speakers (bet you didnt think of that) or BT audio equiptment, or yes...good quality headphones

also my apple employee friend telling me about "biometrics" and "ram is an outdated spec"

his exact words, i mean...

will say im curious about these "flac apps" i'm now suddenly hearing about, i was aware of the macintosh plugin back in the day that converted flac to a useable format in iTunes/iPhone, but that's it
ALAC is a lossless format. You can use that.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member

LCfiner

Did they upgrade the screen size?

are you asking if they went back to 3.5” sadly, no.

@codhand. just search app store for flac and there’s apps that play them for iOS. it’s not a plugin for the music player. it’d be an alternate music player.

some apps also have better EQ implementations than the subpar EQ for the default iOS music app

codhand

Well sure I could be wrong and you have golden ears. But plenty of studies and blind tests have been performed (ex: http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2012/06/concluding-the-great-mp3-bitrate-experiment.html ) that show that most people can't tell the difference between those formats. Odds are that you fall into that majority.

im aware of that link without clicking it and it is flawed in many ways, which is a diff thread, where i already explained why

ALAC is a lossless format. You can use that.

bud i don wanna! :_(

Top Bottom