• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

even if the reason is actually really valid, 1 GB with that pricepoint in 2014 is still gross.

Oh no, I quite agree.

Though they didn't mention ram so there might be a tiny bit of hope for at least 2gb? Unless I missed it somewhere, don't we find this info out when we get the teardowns?

oh who am I kidding it'll be a gig again.

Christopher

523552_10152136299465393_1487968607_n1.jpg

Was waiting for 5s and I got this?

The colorfulness of iOS 7 is really at odds with the metallic design of the 5 style. Anyone else think next gen we'll see color 5c and color 6? Perhaps colored anodized aluminum? Or will they keep with the dichotomy they have now?

codhand

In regards to the storage issue, I think it's a worse user experience to have to deal with external storage. It wouldn't bother me personally, because I work in tech and software, but for that same reason I think it's a net negative for the masses due to the confusion it can/does introduce. I also firmly believe that carrying around 80 GB of data on a phone is unnecessary for just about everyone. Streaming and "The Cloud" are the future. I carry around my favorite songs and photos (even 16 GB would still give me room for thousands of songs and photos) and anything else I can just get online. The probability of me wanting a picture not already on my phone AND not having access to a network is really, really low.

i realize this is most people's feeling on the matter, but "The Cloud" is marketing speak for "outscourcing"

additionally i started to enjoy my user-experience more when i stopped telling myself the things i didnt need, and started giving myself the things i always wanted.

hell yes now i want 80gb and in the future if i have a TB i will not complain or sign up for a pay-to-store icloud type service if i dont have to

border

Thinking about upgrading, depending on how fast the device can actually scan fingerprints. Any word on how quickly you can get past the lock screen?

How much money could I realistically get if I sell my iPhone 4 16GB (AT&T)?

RDreamer

Why the hell would they do this to us people with jobs? We can't go line up at the store for one of these.

My wife needed a phone around the time of the 4S,I believe, and we went there day one (mostly because we didn't even realize it was day one), and it wasn't that bad. We had a bit of a line, but they had things pretty streamlined, and we were out pretty quickly compared to what I thought it'd be like.

njr

I get every other iPhone since most of my phones last me about 2 years before it starts to break down, the gold one is for me. I've already bought a case that doubles as battery pack so i'm ready for it. Hopefully I won't have a problem walking into a verizon store to upgrade my contract, maybe I can trade in my old one which is worn out for the most part.

Enco

Fuck it.

The price is terrible but I'm feeling like a new phone. I'm a bad person for buying this.

Think I'll go with black. Don't like the thought of a white phone that I would use at night.

Red Comet

I am FINALLY eligible for an upgrade when a new iPhone releases. I'm glad I waited. I'm going to pre-order the Gold 32 GB. Can't wait.

So realistically how much better is this camera going to be? My missus is looking for a new phone and it's pretty much down to the 5 (whilst they can still be had) and the 5s because of form factor.

She's a bit put off by the fingerprint thing, but I don't think it'll be a dealbreaker.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
i realize this is most people's feeling on the matter, but "The Cloud" is marketing speak for "outscourcing"

additionally i started to enjoy my user-experience more when i stopped telling myself the things i didnt need, and started giving myself the things i always wanted.

hell yes now i want 80gb and in the future if i have a TB i will not complain or sign up for a pay-to-store icloud type service if i dont have to

You can host all of your own stuff in "the cloud" you know. For someone so interested in having as many options as possible, I'm surprised that your first thought went to iCloud and other similar services. You don't need to use those.

You'll also always have more space hosted externally than you ever will on your mobile device with you. So while you might have 1 TB on your phone in the future, you could also have access to 1 PB hosted elsewhere.

border

Fuck it.

The price is terrible but I'm feeling like a new phone. I'm a bad person for buying this.
It's interesting to see so many people upset over the price, since at least in the US it costs the same as every other iPhone has.

I guess a lot more people have switched over to buying unlocked phones, and are just now experiencing their first sticker shock.

Fuchsdh

im aware of that link without clicking it and it is flawed in many ways, which is a diff thread, where i already explained why

bud i don wanna! :_(

Since ALAC went royalty-free, it's just as good as FLAC, and if you are using iTunes/Mac ecosystem it's better supported.

TwIsTeD

Every 2 years I debate getting the -S model and always cave....tradition continues.

Not having to enter my passcode everytime I unlock the phone / buy crap on iTunes is awesome.

The camera features are the bonus

Yields for iphone 5S low so no preorder? ;_; guess i'll be online at the apple store, will my unlimited data plan be grandfathered for lte?

Enco

It's interesting to see so many people upset over the price, since at least in the US it costs the same as every other iPhone has.

I guess a lot more people have switched over to buying unlocked phones, and are just now experiencing their first sticker shock.
They increased the UK unlocked prices over last year.

Really annoying. An increase of £30 (around $47).

Ce-Lin

no swype, 1 GB RAM and no flac might sound silly to some, but for me are reasons enough not to upgrade from my iPhone 5 / Galaxy S4 combo, let's see what the iPhone 6 brings to the table next year, the S4 is so awesome I can't come back to smaller screens and no real multitasking.

Fusebox

Banned
I wonder if the fingerprint scanner can be fooled with a printout of a fingerprint, I was able to get our old company Toshibas to unlock using printouts. I'm guessing the tech has really improved since then.

Top Bottom