• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

iNvid02

this is the first time im considering the silver/white one, definitley settled on 4.7, screw the watch until v2 or v3

Furyous

I'm so conflicted right now....

On one hand the LG G3 destroys the iphone 6/6+ in terms of value proposition. You get a higher res screen, more RAM according to iphone rumors, wireless charging, and possibly a bigger battery. The unlocked US version of the G3 is roughly 1/3 the price of the 6/6+ assuming Apple uses the same pricing structure from previous unlocked phones. The iphone 5 64 GB unlocked sold for $850 without tax. Double that price for another 64 GB, in my opinion.

On the other hand, I'm an RDF member and I need the newest Apple flagship. I refuse to buy a phone that comes with a paltry 1 GB of RAM. FOH with that plebeian shit. If I spend $1500 ON A PHONE, it better come with at least 2 GB of RAM. I demand 3 GB of RAM because of the unlocked price tag. Did Apple spend time justifying a dual core processor? It's 2014, why in the shit aren't they using at least a quad core processor? I'm getting angry as I read through this spec sheet. I want that 6+ even though I have small hands.

I need a new phone in a few months. It's down to the superb G3, the iphone 6+, or the next Nexus. I can get by with the awful S801 on the G3 because there's not a battery life difference but the 805 is better suited for the screen. You know it's crazy when one can buy two G3 LTE-A's for the price of 1 (allegedly) 128 GB 6/6+.

Servbot24

Banned
I really want to stay with Apple... but those specs are just so (relatively) bad ;_;

Then again I may be none the wiser coming from a 4s.

btkadams

Will the iPhone 6 Plus be slower than the iPhone 6 since it has a higher resolution screen? It's the same processor, right? Does anyone know if it would be a noticeable difference?

Guess Who

Banned
Did Apple spend time justifying a dual core processor? It's 2014, why in the shit aren't they using at least a quad core processor?

While I understand your RAM concerns, the vast majority of phone apps aren't heavily multithreaded and thus benefit more from 2 more powerful cores than 4 less powerful cores.

Lynn616

Here's the image.

rvzuofdqbibrrfhhueqc.png

Is there one for the regular iPhone 6?

The iPhone 6+ has a bigger footprint but a smaller screen? Great design, Apple.

Kinda underwhelmed considering the leaks were correct.

But you gotta love Apple: won't tell us the RAM in the iphone 6 but they let us know the CPU manufacturing process LOL.

Midas

The iPhone 6+ has a bigger footprint but a smaller screen? Great design, Apple.

It's the home button. They have to get rid of it, but can't see it happening with Touch ID. Sometime in the future when they can integrate the technology in the screen I guess, if that will be possible.

pissed that the 6 Plus is CLEARLY the better phone and not wanting a 5.5" phone AT ALL!!!!!!

resolution isn't a big deal.. OIS sucks but the battery difference is sever. fuck.
Exactly how I feel right now. Bit annoyed that the Plus has better features but damn that 5.5 is just too big.

Would have been happy with a 5" model.

reKon

Banned
For all the people talking all shit this about how iPhone's only need 1GB and unlike Android - You are aware that there are Android phones with Snapdragon 400s and 1 GB that run Android smoothly right? A great example of this is the Moto G.

Frodo

So the 6+ is bigger than the Note but still has a smaller screen and lower resolution and pixel density?

And the price increase for the extra memory is ridiculous. You can almost buy 4 64GB MicroSD Cards with US$100. But Apple is gonna Apple, I suppose...

For all the people talking all shit about how iPhone's only need 1GB and unlike Android - You are aware that are Android phones with Snapdragon 400s and 1 GB that run Android smoothly right? A great example of this is the Moto G.

Difference being the Moto G costs £160 without a contract. Apple charges premium price for their devices.

Guess Who

Banned
For all the people talking all shit about how iPhone's only need 1GB and unlike Android - You are aware that are Android phones with Snapdragon 400s and 1 GB that run Android smoothly right? A great example of this is the Moto G.

I have a Moto G and can confirm it rarely feels RAM-starved.

ZeroX03

Banned

The iPhone 6 Plus is massive, my God.

It's intimidating me, but I always complain that my electronics are too small anyway. The iPad Mini was very comfortable to use so I'm guessing that'll continue here, plus new keyboards to aid in typing. But I still look forward to a bezelless future...

I really want to stay with Apple... but those specs are just so (relatively) bad ;_;

Then again I may be none the wiser coming from a 4s.

The specs mean shit, benchmarks will have Apple at or near the top thanks to software optimization and six months later the Android vendors will take back the crone. Regardless, you're going to get a smooth and great experience on any of the flagship phones these days. If you like iOS, stick with it, it'll run great (but your Safari tabs will probably still refresh sorry).

Alchemy

Too big for me, I still like my 4 inches. Though I'd upgrade day one if the fucking things came in color just to support flagship device that isn't white/black/grey.

giga

There's no reason to upgrade to 6+ when Galaxy Note 4 beats it literally in every aspect.
This is just really not true. Processing power isn't limited to clock speed. Display quality isn't limited to resolution. Image quality isn't limited to megapixels. And battery life isn't limited to battery size. Any anandtech reader should know this.

Yeah the Plus is just too big. Can't see myself handling it comfortably during a long time. Going to have to just go for the regular 6.

gizmodoiphonehand.jpg

Kathian

Banned
Looks ridiculous compared to a Note.
Apple too scared of two iphones with striking visual differences other than scale.

JaseMath

Regular 6 (maybe) for me. The plus is stupid big.

Can't wait until this fad of big phones dies a horrible death.

Frodo

Yeah the Plus is just too big. Can't see myself handling it comfortably during a long time. Going to have to just go for the regular 6.

gizmodoiphonehand.jpg

OMG.

How much energy do you guys think we could produce using Steve Job's spinning corpse after he saw this?

MicH

gizmodoiphonehand.jpg
Jesus Christ that is gigantic. Yeah, I'm gonna hold off on getting one of those. Wow

EDIT I'm currently using a 4S which has a 3.5" screen. Yeah, the 4,7" 6 is already a gigantic improvement screen size wise o_O

lachesis

Sigh. I'm probably a minority, but I don't like bigger phones - and I wish Apple would have kept the smaller iphone size.

I measured my glass-broken, Galaxy S2 (4.5") which I thought it was too big & bulky - iPhone6 is about the same width, but about half inch longer.

I wouldn't have minded 4" iPhone6... but I think I'll just get over it and get used to it.

Mindwipe

Such an atrociously ugly design.

I have no idea what they were thinking.

Maybe I'm alone, but I certainly didn't.

Me neither. The small one is stupidly big. The large one is hilariously big :-(

The one hand mode is stupid, and doesn't help typing on the thing at all.

Anion

Buying an iPhone or iPad is like buying a console imo. You don't need to care about the stats as long as it is faster than the outgoing model.

nib95

Banned
This is just really not true. Processing power isn't limited to clock speed. Display quality isn't limited to resolution. Image quality isn't limited to megapixels. And battery life isn't limited to battery size. Any anandtech reader should know this.
The Note 4 has the better display, and I'm going to bet they have comparable performance and battery life, only with the Note 4 being able to do a crap load more software and functionality wise, and with a much higher resolution screen to boot.

Such an atrociously ugly design.

I have no idea what they were thinking.

Seconded. I've never owned a smartphone, but when my current contract is about to expire I've been pondering whether to jump in with the 5S or one of the 6 models. Turns out that aside from Apple Pay (which will take a few years to mature anyway), there's really no burning reason to go for the 6. And with that comparatively ugly design, I don't think that I'd get one even if every place I shop adopted contactless payments.

gizmodoiphonehand.jpg

LOL yeah, I just looked down at my hands. No way in hell I'd ever get a phone that big.

The S5 is about as big as I'm willing to go without just getting a tablet. I think Apple really dropped the ball here regarding design, I don't like it at all. And I was hoping for an OS revamp (more openness and customization) but I guess that'll never happen since it'll sell millions upon millions regardless.

Seconded. I've never owned a smartphone, but when my current contract is about to expire I've been pondering whether to jump in with the 5S or one of the 6 models. Turns out that aside from Apple Pay (which will take a few years to mature anyway), there's really no burning reason to go for the 6. And with that comparatively ugly design, I don't think that I'd get one even if every place I shop adopted contactless payments.

I'd say get the S5, but that's because I love Android OS. But looking at the 6, I don't see many reasons to choose it over the S5.

I'm so conflicted right now....

On one hand the LG G3 destroys the iphone 6/6+ in terms of value proposition. You get a higher res screen, more RAM according to iphone rumors, wireless charging, and possibly a bigger battery. The unlocked US version of the G3 is roughly 1/3 the price of the 6/6+ assuming Apple uses the same pricing structure from previous unlocked phones. The iphone 5 64 GB unlocked sold for $850 without tax. Double that price for another 64 GB, in my opinion.

On the other hand, I'm an RDF member and I need the newest Apple flagship. I refuse to buy a phone that comes with a paltry 1 GB of RAM. FOH with that plebeian shit. If I spend $1500 ON A PHONE, it better come with at least 2 GB of RAM. I demand 3 GB of RAM because of the unlocked price tag. Did Apple spend time justifying a dual core processor? It's 2014, why in the shit aren't they using at least a quad core processor? I'm getting angry as I read through this spec sheet. I want that 6+ even though I have small hands.

I need a new phone in a few months. It's down to the superb G3, the iphone 6+, or the next Nexus. I can get by with the awful S801 on the G3 because there's not a battery life difference but the 805 is better suited for the screen. You know it's crazy when one can buy two G3 LTE-A's for the price of 1 (allegedly) 128 GB 6/6+.

I'm right there with you. I've decided to try the G3, since it was $49 with an upgrade on ATT, through Amazon. Another $40 for the upgrade fee, and $50 for a 64GB card, case with a window, and a holster.

I'll be duplicating my calendar and contacts to Google, and using a music program to sync all my music from iTunes.

My phone is for calls, music, a calendar, and mobile browsing. If I want something Apple specific, I still have my iPad Mini Retina. I'm willing to live on the other side for awhile, because I'm just...underwhelmed with today's presentation.

Rubezh

I'm torn between the 4.7 and 5.5. I love the resolution on the 5.5 but I'm not sure how portable that size would be for me.

Mononoke

Banned

gizmodoiphonehand.jpg

Bleh, that is so ridiculous. lmao

Ugh. Why did they have to make the specs so different. I wish I loved the 5s size screen, or I would just go with the 4.7 But I wanted something bigger (not as big as that +)

Ahhhh. But seeing someone hold it, wow.

Top Bottom