• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Store Student Discount Program...

Status
Not open for further replies.
How long does it take for them to confirm that you actually are a student based on your student number you submit online?

I got the student discount on my Powerbook. All I remember doing is entering the university I attend. I don't remember having to enter my student number.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Hrm... how much is the student discount...? I am in the market for a laptop and this may sway me from a PC based one to an iBook. And hell, throw an iPod in there if it's a really good discount.

Pattergen

Cerebral Palsy said:
I got the student discount on my Powerbook. All I remember doing is entering the university I attend. I don't remember having to enter my student number.

Same here. I see no reason not to abuse this function. Only time it ever came back up was in tech support, they transfer you to a different dude.

Wellington said:
Hrm... how much is the student discount...? I am in the market for a laptop and this may sway me from a PC based one to an iBook. And hell, throw an iPod in there if it's a really good discount.

Try it out at apple.com. I think I got about a 100 bucks off the computer or something. The discount is credited in the shopping cart.

You guys should look into the ADC program. It costs $100 to sign up and you get a once a lifetime 20% discount on any Apple hardware. I saved $300 compared to the Education price (well $200 if you figure in the sign up cost) on my new 15" Powerbook.

Using the Powerbook right now and I must say... I am in LOVE with this thing. Such a beautiful piece of hardware.

Wellington said:

The discount depends on how much you spend. I got an iPod and a 12" Powerbook (when the 12" first came out). I'm sure I saved almost $300 or something.

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
Idle Will Kill said:
You guys should look into the ADC program. It costs $100 to sign up and you get a once a lifetime 20% discount on any Apple hardware. I saved $300 compared to the Education price (well $200 if you figure in the sign up cost) on my new 15" Powerbook.

Using the Powerbook right now and I must say... I am in LOVE with this thing. Such a beautiful piece of hardware.

Will have to do this with a G5 tower/new Powerbook in a couple years.

Wellington said:
Anyone know what percentage it is that they give you?

It's not based on percentage as far as I know. They just pick discounts for each product. It's $200 off a powerbook, $40 off an iPod, $10 off the new AirPort Express. It looks like it floats around 10% ($40 off a $400 iPod, $200 off a $2000 Powerbook. $10 off a $130 AP Express). It's certainly not a percentage because all powerbooks are $200 off regardless of the price, all iPods are $40 off regardless of their price.

xsarien

daedsiluap
nitewulf said:
damn, damn...270 for a 15 gig ipod...shit, iriver or ipod, iriver or ipod...ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

You know you want it. ;)

new-ipod-300x425.jpg

Idle Will Kill said:

Bump.

Can you fill me in on the ADC program. I'm thinking of getting a new G5 and display if I can really snag a 20% discount. That would be a huge savings. I checked Apple's site, but found their ADC pages confusing.

Oh man, using the ADC discount on a G5+LCD = massive discount.

Here's the main developer section: http://developer.apple.com/

Student Developer section: http://developer.apple.com/students/index.html

To get to the Developer Connection Apple Store, first go to the Student Developer section linked above. On the following page, look to box on the top left, under "Student Information" and click on "Student Discounts." On the next page, click on "ADC Student Program Hardware Discount" under the "Hardware Discounts" tab. From there, click on "United States Hardware Purchase Program Store" which is right under that first gray line.

The Student Developer program costs $100 to sign up (you must be going to a university). Then you can get one time only 20% discount on your order total from the store.

Just a little comparison...

Apple Store: Dual 2.5 G5 with 20 inch LCD = $4,298.00
ADC Store: Dual 2.5 G5 with 20 inch LCD= $3,568.00

As you can see, the discount is VERY nice.

If you have any questions, I'll answer them the best I can.

fart said:
you've got other problems if you're spending that much

the standard edu discount is ~10%

Man, the lamest thing is to tell people how to spend their money. My friends drop thousands of dollars into their cars, I think it's stupid as hell, but I don't tell them.

fart

Savant
you are the one airing your bidness in the thread. don't get all pussycat because someone commented. defend your position or ignore it.

nitewulf

HAHHAHAHAHA...
man the ipod is very tempting at that price, but amazon is selling the iriver at $290 now, and of course it has 5 gig extra space, radio plus lcd remote...so it just wins out IMO. time to take the plunge and get one i guess.

Idle Will Kill said:
Oh man, using the ADC discount on a G5+LCD = massive discount.

Here's the main developer section: http://developer.apple.com/

Student Developer section: http://developer.apple.com/students/index.html

To get to the Developer Connection Apple Store, first go to the Student Developer section linked above. On the following page, look to box on the top left, under "Student Information" and click on "Student Discounts." On the next page, click on "ADC Student Program Hardware Discount" under the "Hardware Discounts" tab. From there, click on "United States Hardware Purchase Program Store" which is right under that first gray line.

The Student Developer program costs $100 to sign up (you must be going to a university). Then you can get one time only 20% discount on your order total from the store.

Just a little comparison...

Apple Store: Dual 2.5 G5 with 20 inch LCD = $4,298.00
ADC Store: Dual 2.5 G5 with 20 inch LCD= $3,568.00

As you can see, the discount is VERY nice.

If you have any questions, I'll answer them the best I can.

Thanks for the help man. My pc is 2 1/2 years old now, and I love my Powerbook to death. 20% discount will probably get me to take the plunge. I'm eyeing the dual 2.5ghz and 23" display. I'll definitely check it out in the morning. Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom