• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are cats a top tier predator?

Are cats a top tier predator?

• No. They are just cute and cuddly.

Votes: 6 9.5%
  • Yes. They are killing machines.

Votes: 48 76.2%
  • I don't know or don't care.

Votes: 9 14.3%

• Total voters

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief and Nosiest Dildo Archeologist
yes

wqz09w5gffk71.gif

SoloCamo

They have the genetics of one, but compared to a wild cat they are pretty pathetic. That said, in the animal kingdom, even domesticated house cats are extremely efficient killers. One of my family's old farm cats actually killed a badger which was insane, mind you the cat was pretty hurt but still.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
They are an invasive species with dramatic negative impacts on biodiversity (bird extinctions etc) and generally a nuisance, and a cancer on ecosystems when they end up feral.

*Nightwing

Banned
On land yes…. But sharks have no necks and thus know not the fear of running away looking behind at something more dangerous as every feral cat eventually does

Artoris

Gold Member
No

1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
  2. In a bowl, mix cat meat with olive oil, spices, herbs.
  3. Spread on baking tray.
  4. Roast for 30 mins, until golden.
  5. Serve hot and enjoy!

bitbydeath

what i wanna know is why the fuck do people let their cat out of the house for the majority of the day
Cats typically aren’t on a leash/kept in cages and free-roam the house. All it takes is a door being open for a second to escape as they are much faster than you are.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Depends on the cat. When I was a kid, I had a cat that was a stone cold killer. We would find decapitated rabbits, birds, etc. in the yard - she killed the animals and, I think, ripped off the head and ate it (or part of it). I'm more aware now and think of that fucking lunatic sometimes and I don't think cats should be left outside. But I had a lot of cats and she was the only one like that.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

house cats are very strong and smart predators, but big cats are terrifying. watch this video and consider what this jaguar did. jumped a good 15 feet directly onto another strong predators head, killed it, and dragged it up a vertical embankment while holding it in it's mouth. definitely one of the craziest feats of athleticism ever recorded. probably dragged it up in a tree to eat it too. and jaguars aren't even that big.

if cats were reptiles and not cute looking mammals how differently would we feel about them?

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Cats typically aren’t on a leash/kept in cages and free-roam the house. All it takes is a door being open for a second to escape as they are much faster than you are.
Once I was gifted this very young female cat. When her first heat came, the things she’d do to try and get outside were insane. She was almost unstoppable. The second the house door opened, you’d have to be ready to catch her or she’d bolt for the door like the Road Runner.

When she was a little older, we eventually let her go outside and one day she just wouldn’t come back home. That was a wild one.

Big cats like tigers and lions are top tier predators due to their size and strength but not your typical tabby cat. If dogs hadn't been so domesticated and were still more like wolves then they would be more successful predators as they are pack animals. Cats tend to be more solitary which limits their hunting potential although when you get to something like tiger, it doesn't matter so much. The reason wolves were hunted to almost extinction in Europe is because they were so dangerous as a pack of wolves could kill anything. I remember watching a documentary on an African tribe what they they were asked what they fear the most and I thought they would say lions and they were like nope, wild dogs because you might come across 1 lion but you can be attacked by 30 of these thing.

Top Bottom