• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are their any 4k tv's that run 60fps yet?

mrets123

Last time I checked the samsung monitor was the only hardware that could run 4k @ 60fps
Are their any tv's that can do 4k@60fps yet? Black friday discounts are only two days away!

Yea there are actually quite a few HDMI 2.0 Compliant TV's now, so if you have an HDMI 2.0 Compliant device you can in fact get 4k@60hz (Like the Nvidia 900 series GPU's). The problem is most of the affordable 4k TV's being released right now, while HDMI 2.0, have inferior Chroma Subsampling resulting in 4k@60hz being output at a color ratio of 4:2:2 instead of the desired 4:4:4 at 30hz, this results in a reduction in color information that isn't too great. Basically what happens is the TV attempts to create extra pixels with the colors it thinks should be there as filler. Look at the middle column below for an example of what I mean.

Chroma_subsampling_ratios.png

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889354766 here is a current HDMI 2.0 TV on black friday clearance for example.

mrets123

Thanks aztec, when I read your response I got so excited I had to run to the bathroom! I will have to see if this upscaling or sampling is "livable"

me0wish

I was thinking of a 4k PC monitors to go for with a 295, but was also worried about the whole 60fps thing and that there might be something I don't know of. Does 4k PC monitors also suffer from inferior Chroma Subsampling?

I'm also considering going for ultra wide screen.

Any advice is welcomed.

I was thinking of a 4k PC monitors to go for with a 295, but was also worried about the whole 60fps thing and that there might be something I don't know of. Does 4k PC monitors also suffer from inferior Chroma Subsampling?

I'm also considering going for ultra wide screen.

Any advice is welcomed.

I'm not sure that every TV or Monitor suffers from this, it's just something you have to read up on as it has something to do with limited bandwidth. I'll let someone else fill you in on the rest as I'm by no means an expert, this is just the result of rudimentary research I did myself. It may have to do with the limits of HDMI 2.0, lower bandwidth HDMI cables or just the TV's themselves. I'd really like to know more as well. Just be aware this is an issue many are worried about right now.

Edit: I do know that Display Port 1.2 and 1.3 both have the capability of 4:4:4 Chroma Subsampling at 60hz and above (1.3) at 4k though.

Top Bottom