• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are we in the collaboration age?

EverydayBeast

ChatGPT 0.1
Those who don’t know now wwe characters are in call of duty, horror characters like ghost face in mortal kombat and mother fucker crazed collabs x collaborations going on now for a couple years. What does GAF think?

MiguelItUp

Nah, I just think it's the nature of everything going on, especially in the realm of multiplayer/live service games. Fortnite's popularity definitely brought attention to including pop culture and the like, especially after the success it had the first few go arounds. So much so that in time COD felt it was the right move for them to make as well. Which I know a lot of their fans were (are) upset about as they never suspected COD to receive such a treatment. I just think it's an easy way for multiplayer games to make more money, as well as the IP/brand they're collaborating with.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's like a TV show having a guest star where they play their real life selves. Some people love it, some dont.

But typically jump the sharks often involve TV shows jamming in celebs for temporary spikes and interest. Although for Fortnite and COD it seems like it makes them stronger.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
There were whole console exclusive games............for burger king.

We ain't at that level anymore.

Three

There were whole console exclusive games............for burger king.

We ain't at that level anymore.
Yep in the past you had Cool Spot, Pepsiman, Burger King games, Yaris, Kinetic with Nike etc. These are just advertising of other franchises trying to appeal to the gaming crowd. Before we got entire games but now we're in the mtx/skins age so that's what we get.

Impotaku

I love collabortaion stuff when it's done in silly ways like the cup noodle stuff in final fantasy or more recently like the mcdonalds themed monsters in dragon quest monsters 3. Dave the diver had some great collaboration stuff between the lovecraftian horror fishing game Dredge they even recreated part of that game inside dave the diver and it was all free.

A lot of rhythm games tend to do crossovers as well taking tracks from each others games.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

It is a way to sell skins. It is the formula that the most absurd and out of place collabs you can think of are more attention grabbing, and people want them to stand out from other players.

A game like Warframe might have a reputation for looking weird and ugly, but it still has art direction and doesn't have collab skins with McDonalds, Scooby Doo, or Jefferson Airplane.

Last edited:

Griffon

Those cameos just replaced official licensed games.

We don't get an official game for every single movie/brand now, just a character here and there in existing ones.

Last edited:

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
I don't really mind them. Usually they're just cosmetic stuff, but sometimes they can add entirely new game modes like it was with the recent Nikke x Dave the Diver collab. I'm somewhat curious about the Genshin x Fate/stay night collab as they've announced it 6-12 months in advance so they must have some big plans for it.

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
SoulCaliburII_GameCube_cover.jpg

Top Bottom