• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARGH!! Have I been hacked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I booted my computer this morning and I noticed it wanted me to click my name to select the user on the XP welcome screen. My PC never does this as I'm the only user. Suspecting something was amiss, I checked via TweakUI to see if the "xbox" user I had created to share files with the Xbox was causing the pause. Turns out "xbox" was still unselected but there was another user called "ASPNET" there as well.

This user doesn't show up on the XP Welcome screen although it does cause it to pause as if it's a selectable user. I checked "User Profiles" in the System Properties but the only Profile that's there is mine. WTF is going on?

I did a search for "ASPNET" on my PC and it didn't turn anything up. I googled it and it would seem that Asp.Net is somehow associated with Microsoft .Net. I just recently installed .net because a few programs I wanted to use require. Does "ASPNET" have anything to do with Microsoft .Net or is this something I should worry about?

impirius

That's just something that .NET puts on your machine. It's a standard thing.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, you can go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Local Users and Groups -> Users, then right-click on ASP.NET and check "Account is disabled" if that'll make you feel better. I did. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom