• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astronaut writes about nearly drowning outside the International Space Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guevara

Basically on a spacewalk outside the ISS, an astronaut's spacesuit fills with water from an unknown source.

I ‘feel’ that something is wrong. The unexpected sensation of water at the back of my neck surprises me – and I’m in a place where I’d rather not be surprised. I move my head from side to side, confirming my first impression, and with superhuman effort I force myself to inform Houston of what I can feel, knowing that it could signal the end of this EVA. On the ground, Shane confirms they have received my message and he asks me to await instructions. Chris, who has just finished, is still nearby and he moves towards me to see if he can see anything and identify the source of the water in my helmet.

At first, we’re both convinced that it must be drinking water from my flask that has leaked out through the straw, or else it’s sweat. But I think the liquid is too cold to be sweat, and more importantly, I can feel it increasing. I can’t see any liquid coming out of the drinking water valve either. When I inform Chris and Shane of this, we immediately receive the order to ‘terminate’ the sortie. The other possibility, to ‘abort’, is used for more serious problems. I’m instructed to go back to the airlock. Together we decide that Chris should secure all the elements that are outside before he retraces his steps to the airlock, i.e. he will first move to the front of the Station. And so we separate.

As I move back along my route towards the airlock, I become more and more certain that the water is increasing. I feel it covering the sponge on my earphones and I wonder whether I’ll lose audio contact. The water has also almost completely covered the front of my visor, sticking to it and obscuring my vision. I realise that to get over one of the antennae on my route I will have to move my body into a vertical position, also in order for my safety cable to rewind normally. At that moment, as I turn ‘upside-down’, two things happen: the Sun sets, and my ability to see – already compromised by the water – completely vanishes, making my eyes useless; but worse than that, the water covers my nose – a really awful sensation that I make worse by my vain attempts to move the water by shaking my head. By now, the upper part of the helmet is full of water and I can’t even be sure that the next time I breathe I will fill my lungs with air and not liquid. To make matters worse, I realise that I can’t even understand which direction I should head in to get back to the airlock. I can’t see more than a few centimetres in front of me, not even enough to make out the handles we use to move around the Station.

I try to contact Chris and Shane: I listen as they talk to each other, but their voices are very faint now: I can hardly hear them and they can’t hear me. I’m alone. I frantically think of a plan. It’s vital that I get inside as quickly as possible. I know that if I stay where I am, Chris will come and get me, but how much time do I have? It’s impossible to know. Then I remember my safety cable. Its cable recoil mechanism has a force of around 3lb that will ‘pull’ me towards the left. It’s not much, but it’s the best idea I have: to follow the cable to the airlock. I force myself to stay calm and, patiently locating the handles by touch, I start to move, all the while thinking about how to eliminate the water if it were to reach my mouth. The only idea I can think of is to open the safety valve by my left ear: if I create controlled depressurisation, I should manage to let out some of the water, at least until it freezes through sublimation, which would stop the flow. But making a ‘hole’ in my spacesuit really would be a last resort.
You should really read the whole thing.

http://blogs.esa.int/luca-parmitano/2013/08/20/eva-23-exploring-the-frontier/

shira

if I create controlled depressurisation, I should manage to let out some of the water, at least until it freezes through sublimation, which would stop the flow. But making a ‘hole’ in my spacesuit really would be a last resort.

You know how badass this would be. This should have been the official story.

Parallacs

I remember hearing this in the news last month. Incredible, like out of a science fiction movie.

I've got this sensation a few times when scuba diving, though obviously not as critical since the mask and regulator are separate.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Scary shit, but imagine how embarrassing it would be to drown in space. Of all the ways to die in space, you drown.

You know how badass this would be. This should have been the official story.

I'm sitting here in awe at how fucking smart that man is. I'll tell you what, if my ass was drowning in a helmet I'd probably panic and go with the "fuck this I'm taking off my helmet" route.

I'd of course immediately suffocate, but hey, that's why he's up there and I'm down here.

shuri

Banned
Astronauts are modern heroes. This is amazing that he managed to somehow keep his cool. Thank you so much for this link, those NASA sites have so much cool infos and I feel like an ass for not exploring their sites.

Can you imagine being in his situation. DAMN

QP3

Wow, incredible poise. Astronauts really are incredible guys/gals who end up with the greatest stories.

Luca Parmitano is a badass, and a giant nerd
3953092332_f2441740dfg9uo4.jpg

Look at his name tag

edit:didn't even notice the Sagan poster in the office

BeerSnob

This story will change when he gets home and needs to impress someone at a bar.

"... and THAT is when I took out my space dagger and cut a hole in my own space suit."

Scoot2005

Banned
I'm sitting here in awe at how fucking smart that man is. I'll tell you what, if my ass was drowning in a helmet I'd probably panic and go with the "fuck this I'm taking off my helmet" route.

I'd of course immediately suffocate, but hey, that's why he's up there and I'm down here.

Wouldn't you just freeze instantaneously? I could be wrong.

SJRB

Gold Member
I came to the thread to nitpick that the term 'drowning' is only used when water is involved.

This is just.. What the fuck. Thanks, champ.

Anyway, I wish they would at least tell what the malfunction was and where the water came from.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
This is just.. What the fuck. Thanks, champ.

Anyway, I wish they would at least tell what the malfunction was and where the water came from.

I think he was saying that he was surprised that drowning was actually the right word to use because drowning in space isn't something people would ever think about.

Saw it in a movie lol. Something about Mars. Maybe the distance from the sun has something to do with it. Google time.

Mission to Mars iirc. And the sun has nothing to do with it, it's simply bad science. Moisture on your skin and in your eyes will cause frost because the lack of pressure means the liquids become gaseous and evaporate, which causes cooling, but this is not a significant danger of space exposure. Your temperature overall will not drop rapidly. Rather, you will lose consciousness after about 13-16 seconds and die at around the 90 second mark from rapid deoxygenation of the blood.

That probably has to be the worst way to go. Knowing you're in space and you end up drowning. Glad he was OK. Astronauts are truely awesome.

Scoot2005

Banned
You are wrong, but exposure to vacuum is bad for your health regardless.

You are right. Even at long distances, it would be about the same as travelling through the arctic. Still cold, but not instantaneous. I learned something. Pats self on back. Freezing instantaneously is still cooler than suffocating.

Edit - Beaten.

Underneath most spacesuits is what is best describable as a bodysuit of water tubing used to regulate the temperature of the astronaut and keep them cool, so a small leak in the suit seems probable.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
...this. Forget the embarrassment of drowning, how about drowning without even considering "oh I could swallow."

Pretty sure you wouldn't want to drink that water. also doesn't help much when its entering via his nose (and ears).

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Pretty sure you wouldn't want to drink that water. also doesn't help much when its entering via his nose (and ears).

Sure, but he's talking about "last resorts," it seems like "take a sip" should come before "vent my helmet into open space."

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Whoa, i'm amazed by how much cold blood can a single human muster.
I would've panicked and died in four seconds flat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom