• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atari gets 'Riddick,' 'Ghostbusters'

DMczaf

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117994909.html?categoryid=13&cs=1&query=riddick

Riddick and the Ghostbusters have both found a new home at one of America's oldest videogame companies.

Atari has bought rights to publish the videogame sequel to "The Chronicles of Riddick" and a new game based on "Ghostbusters" from Activision Blizzard, which declined to pick up the two projects after merging with Vivendi Games this summer.

The publisher confirmed it will release "The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena" this spring. It's a follow-up to Vivendi's 2005 movie tie-in "Chronicles of Riddick: Escape at Butcher Bay," which sold decently worldwide and was critically acclaimed as one of the best-ever film-based games.

In addition to buying publishing rights to the game from Activision Blizzard, Atari also has signed a new licensing deal with Universal that will let it continue "Riddick" as a videogame franchise.

!!

I'm glad they've gone somewhere... but Atari?

=/

Hopefully they'll just throw money at the projects and stay the hell away. They're like a touch of death to games.

Ghostbusters news is
manny.jpg

but Riddick news on the other hand is
manny-ramirez1.jpg

soldat7

We need a Vin Diesel/Phil Harrison photoshop...now!

Can't wait to play Dark Athena...I never did finish Butcher Bay...

neight

Banned
Someone was bound to picke these games up.
Death_Born said:
[IMG*]http://i35.tinypic.com/34eyq8n.jpg[/IMG]
ROFL! Please tell me that isn't real. I know some fansubbers get silly sometimes but that's insane. :lol

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
neight said:
Someone was bound to picke these games up.ROFL! Please tell me that isn't real. I know some fansubbers get silly sometimes but that's insane. :lol

I think he just got lazy.

androvsky

neight said:
Someone was bound to picke these games up.ROFL! Please tell me that isn't real. I know some fansubbers get silly sometimes but that's insane. :lol

I remember fansubbers using "kaninrin" in place of "manager" in the first fansubs of Love Hina... with a translator's note along the lines of "kaninrin = manager" almost every time someone said the word. Which was quite frequent.

Which is a good way to learn Japanese if you've got a few hundred years to waste. I mean, we all know what "keikaku" means now, right?

Back on topic... don't know if Phil deserves the full credit for this. He was all about the casual, can't see him jumping at Riddik. Besides, it's not like it took a lot of effort to discover these titles, we all knew they were out there; someone just needed to write a check.

Agent X

Struct09 said:
I'll never understand why Activision dropped Ghostbusters. That game seems like a sure fire success.

That was perplexing to me, too. I'm just happy to hear that the game has found a new home. Hopefully Atari will be very successful with this game, as it looks great!

justchris

androvsky said:
Back on topic... don't know if Phil deserves the full credit for this. He was all about the casual, can't see him jumping at Riddik. Besides, it's not like it took a lot of effort to discover these titles, we all knew they were out there; someone just needed to write a check.

Because, were it not for Phil Harrison, it's likely Atari would not have even bothered with these titles. Sure, Phil is all about the casual, but he's also business savvy, and he's not going to turn down something that will likely make a lot of money, which is not something that could always be said about Atari before he got there.

Of course, this is all assumption, it's entirely possible he had nothing to do with it, but it seems like something he would do, grabbing a potentially financially lucrative game before one of his competitors gets it.

imperium

Huzzah to Atari for picking up those two games, especially Riddick, but honestly, does anyone think Riddick will sell well as a full price title? Riddick will probably be released before the end of the year, correct?

Is this a shrewd deal by Phil or a hail mary by a company on its last legs?

dr_rus

imperium said:
Huzzah to Atari for picking up those two games, especially Riddick, but honestly, does anyone think Riddick will sell well as a full price title?
Full old game plus new campaign for X360 + PS3 + PC? Of course it'll sell well.

Riddick will probably be released before the end of the year, correct?
Spring'09.

Top Bottom