• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ATI's Answer to Nvidia SLI: ATI Multi Rendering

xexex

Banned
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20041105071257.html

ATI Preps Multi-VPU Technology
Sources Say ATI's Multi-VPU More Advanced Than NVIDIA's SLI

by Anton Shilov
11/05/2004 | 07:18 AM

Sources close to ATI Technologies said the company was preparing a technology that is similar to NVIDIA’s Multi-GPU Scalable Link Interface, but offers additional flexibility and enhancements not presently available on NVIDIA’s approach to graphics multiprocessing.

The multi-GPU technology from ATI will presumably be branded as Multi Rendering and will have a number of fundamental shifts from technologies of this kind, sources said. The main thing ATI is currently working on is how to enable two different graphics cards to work in pair, providing enhancements to gamers who use the technology. NVIDIA’s SLI technology only allows two very similar graphics cards to work in parallel, which puts some restrictions with deployment of multi-GPU graphics sub-systems by end-users. It is unclear whether there are any other advantages ATI’s Multi Rendering technology may offer in addition to higher average framerate.

Timeframe when ATI Technologies is likely to offer its Multi Rendering is unclear. NVIDIA said its SLI is a complex of hardware, GPU and core-logic products, and software, ForceWare drivers, technologies. It is unclear whether ATI has chipsets that sports special logic to allow Multi-VPU operation inside, but it known that all ATI’s graphics processing units are able to work in parallel, as the company supplies them to companies like E&S for high-end graphics systems.

NVIDIA’s SLI is a technology that enables two NVIDIA-based graphics cards to operate in a single workstation or PC delivering higher graphics horsepower. A special mainboard with two PCI Express x16 is required for such configuration. According to NVIDIA’s estimates, typical performance advantage dual NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra bring is about 75% - 80% when operating on a system running NVIDIA nForce4 SLI chipset that boasts special enhancements for Multi-GPU technology. NVIDIA’s approach requires special circuitry to be incorporated into GPUs and, for extra speed gain, into core-logic. Alienware’s Video Array technology does not require any special logic to be incorporated into graphics or system chips.

Officials from ATI did not comment on the story.

this sounds great for PC users, if it works. I don't buy into using 2 totally different ATI VPUs together. but say, a R420 and R480 working together seems feasible.

on a side note....man, I wish we could have a console with more than on ATI VPU... it would so own everything else including PS3..... too bad it's doubtful Nintendo or even Microsoft would go for a multi VPU solution though.

xexex

Banned
If ATI+E&S can get quad R3xx VPUs working in one card, i think ATI could handle dual VPUs for Xbox2 but i know it won't happen :(

Top Bottom