• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attenborough's Ark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Sir David returns to the BBC in this momentous Natual World special.

AttenArk.jpg

Synopsis

David Attenborough chooses his ten favourite animals that he would most like to save from extinction. From the weird to the wonderful, he picks fabulous and unusual creatures that he would like to put in his 'ark', including unexpected and little-known animals such as the olm, the solenodon and the quoll. He shows why they are so important and shares the ingenious work of biologists across the world who are helping to keep them alive.

Preview

David Attenborough chooses the 10 endangered animals from around the world that he’d most like to save from extinction. Tigers and pandas hit the headlines but for David it’s the unusual ones that interest him. In Attenborough’s Ark, David explains why these animals are so important, and highlights the ingenious work of biologists across the world who are helping to keep them alive.

His top 10 includes Darwin’s frog - the only frog in the world where the male gives birth to its young. There is also the olm - a salamander that can live to a hundred. There’s also the Sumatran rhino - the smallest and most threatened species of rhino. David tells the story of the first-ever Sumatran rhino to be born in captivity in Asia. After years of failed attempts, a male Sumatran rhino was born at Cincinnati zoo. He was sent to Sumatra, where he was matched up with a native female. The result was a historic baby, which gives hope to the rest of the species.

In Jersey, David introduces his favourite monkey - the mischievous black lion tamarin - which is being bred successfully at Durrell Wildlife Park. David’s other unusual 'passengers' include the solenodon - an ancient mammal; the northern quoll – a charismatic marsupial at risk from cane toads; marvellous spatuletail - a rare hummingbird; the Sunda pangolin, whose scaly armour is made of keratin; Priam’s birdwing butterfly - the largest on Earth; and Venus’s flower basket – a marine animal made entirely from silica.

Durrell monkey to feature

_63963792_01279894_2.jpg

_63963795_img_9141_2.jpg

_63963793_img_6749_2.jpg

_63964580_pangolin_1.jpg

_63963794_dsc_4094.jpg

_63953547_solenodon.jpg

Airing: Today 9:00pm, BBC Two and BBC HD

Duration: 1 Hour

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Sir David is awesome, but I thought he retired, he's getting up there.
He's semi-retired.

He won't be doing anymore flagship series a la Planet Earth, Frozen Planet, Blue Planet, Life of Mammals etc, but he still partakes in smaller projects for other broadcasters. He actually doesn't work for the BBC now, so him returning for one-off specials is a nice treat.

codhand

Edmond Dantès;44156784 said:
He's semi-retired.

He won't be doing anymore flagship series a la Planet Earth, Frozen Planet, Blue Planet, Life of Mammals etc, but he still partakes in smaller projects for other broadcasters. He actually doesn't work for the BBC now, so him returning for one-off specials is a nice treat.

Life on Earth and Trials of Life are getting released on BD but it's Region B for the time being.

I have some BBC channel, but it's playing V for Vendetta tonight boo.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Life on Earth and Trials of Life are getting released on BD but it's Region B for the time being.

I have some BBC channel, but it's playing V for Vendetta tonight boo.
Those are the two greatest nature series he's ever done so seeing them on Blu-ray is quite something.

Life on Earth in particular is the progenitor of all modern day nature documentary series.

The wait is almost over.

life_on_earth_bd_300.jpg

Dead Man

Well that sounds awesome. Pangolins ahoy.

Edmond Dantès;44156894 said:
Those are the two greatest nature series he's ever done so seeing them on Blu-ray is quite something.

Life on Earth in particular is the progenitor of all modern day nature documentary series.

The wait is almost over.

life_on_earth_bd_300.jpg

I would put The Living Planet up there, really more of a trilogy. Evolution of life through time, the nature of ecologies and their climate, and the development of creatures over their lifetime. Life on Earth is still my favourite, even though some of it is a bit outdated now.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
More on Life on Earth's Blu-ray release.

Available on blu-ray for the first time ever, Life on Earth, the first of David Attenborough’s great surveys of life on the planet has been re-mastered to HD quality – sharper and clearer than it has ever been seen before.

The landmark 1979 series tells the story of the development of life on Earth; from the first single-cell organism that appeared in the seas about 3,500 million years ago, to the millions of diverse and complex animals and plants that share the world with us today.

It features breathtaking photography and unforgettable footage – including David Attenborough’s legendary encounter with the mountain gorillas of Rwanda, remarkable film of a live ceolacanth (long believed extinct), a tiny tadpole ejected from the mouth of a Darwin frog and the amazing interior of a cave full of bats.

Disc 1 : The Infinite Variety; Building Bodies; The First Forests; The Swarming Hordes
Disc 2 : Conquest of the Waters; Invasion of the Land; Victors of the Dry Land
Disc 3 : Lords of the Air; The Rise of the Mammals; Themes and Variations
Disc 4 : The Hunters and The Hunted; Life in the Trees; The Compulsive Communications; Extras

Extras

Wildtrack (David Attenborough interview)
Aspect Ratio : SD 4x3
Audio : Dual Mono
Duration: 701 minutes

sammy

The wait is almost over.

life_on_earth_bd_300.jpg

My $$$, take it all Sir David Attenborough!!

Was there ever an HD release of Life in Cold Blood? Love me some reptiles

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
My $$$, take it all Sir David Attenborough!!

Was there ever an HD release of Life in Cold Blood? Love me some reptiles
It'll be released eventually, but there's still the rest of David's 'Life' Collection to be released on Blu-ray so it may take a while.

FACE

Banned

The wait is almost over.

life_on_earth_bd_300.jpg

130253511823273636v3ozj.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom