• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to clear things up I only spent 100$ at the steakhouse, the rest I lost at baccarat. I am in Sydney now and I went to Doyles. What an overhyped piece of shit restaurant, tourist trap?

First I sit down, and after 10 minutes find out you have to order at the other part of the restaurant. Go there order and ask for a beer, I get handed a root beer, and then told I have to order beers on the other side where I just came from. WTF? Ok, get my order head back, order my beer, and then when I ask for ketchup they tell me I have to go back to the front and pay for something they call "tomato sauce". Fuck that. Is this a joke to fuck with out of towners?

Anyways fish and chips were ok, oysters sucked. what a waste of time.

Other than that Sydney is really nice!
You hit the nail on the head with 'tourist trap'. And yeah, Australians have tomato sauce rather than ketchup. They're basically the same thing. People will also look at you funny if you ask for napkins, they're a feminine hygiene product out here; ask for serviettes instead.

I didn't know we could apply for them :(
Rep should donate his to those who have the recommended bandwidth/latency on their broadband connection.

ahem.

I should have! Damn thing taking forever.

Scooted along the first 3GB in about 20 minutes and has now spent the last half hour downloading 0.57GB :/

12GB total for a MP beta :/

CryptiK

Titanfall is rubbish and it lags.

That fucking Smart pistol is sooo stupid and op as fuck who ever thought it was a good idea should be ashamed.

Dead Man

shtAr7L.jpg

Titanfall will do great with teh COD crowd.

Very fast paced.

Incredibly quick spawn times so you aren't out of the battle for more than 3 seconds.

Bot AI is completely brainless. Functions only as a MMOlite chemical reaction in your brain to give you a satisfying feeling on the way to actual players who can actually hurt you. These will be the bread and butter of making Titanfall an ongoing success. Respawn will issue out next variations every month or two I expect.

Titans aren't overpowered. Really easy to take down, even as a pilot if it's 2 against one. Spent most of my time using cover/buildings to shield me so I could unload the anti-titan gun into them with great success, mainly when I was supporting other titans which would draw their fire.

Parkour is good but levels aren't designed well enough for it in most cases. Better than the usual shit I've seen but still a ton of potential missing out.

Lag was noticeable in close quarters. When you end up getting kicked to death by someone who seems to teleport onto your screen you aren't having a good time.

Runs really well, high frame rate even with anti-jaggy on. Textures are decent, lighting is decent. Nothing mind blowing or exciting.

I would love love love to see this gameplay in a Killzone style single player story mode. Like 5/5 would make me buy a X1. A lot of potential in there.

Recon (sic?) class is super duper overpowered if you can move from cover to cover quickly. Auto aim weapon which is super deadly makes for easy kills. On the more spaced out maps they then become useless as the sheen of the cloak is noticeable, maybe its harder to make out on the blurry, sharpened mess of the X1 version.

Here's an example of the ping....

titanfall2014-02-14204yjym.png

Close loss and was the only one to make it out on the evac, under fire.

Lag isn't unplayable but you will be irritated 3 or 4 times a match. At least tonight everyone's ping is shit, so it's a bit more fair lol
Would hate to meet players with low ping :/

Titanfall is fun, movement is good, titans are an interesting addition but it all feels a bit ... empty? There's a lot of action going on, but it's all sort of hollow. Like it doesn't really mean anything? Maybe it's because in the few games I've played no one's cooperating and unlike COD where being solo you can sometimes feel like Rambo if going it alone, it feels a bit worthless.

This is only based on one game type and a few rounds, so there's the possibility of growing to enjoy it, but thus far I'm putting this in the 80-85 metacritic range and all but dead in 3-6 months from release given what I've played so far.

But screw all that, at least they went for something different in the sorely limited FPS space.

I hate to say it but, 10v10 or 8v8 might have been a bit more fun than 6v6.

And yeah the majority of your time you are seeing/shooting worthless grunts. You get a ping of enjoyment from taking them out before realising they were looking at you the whole time and never fired a shot :/

Jintor

But screw all that, at least they went for something different in the sorely limited FPS space.

Yeah, would like to check it just for that.

I'll keep to my dreams of Planetside with a Point though. That time we went gallivanting around in a humvee was good times.

CryptiK

Titanfall will do great with teh COD crowd.

Very fast paced.

Incredibly quick spawn times so you aren't out of the battle for more than 3 seconds.

Bot AI is completely brainless. Functions only as a MMOlite chemical reaction in your brain to give you a satisfying feeling on the way to actual players who can actually hurt you. These will be the bread and butter of making Titanfall an ongoing success. Respawn will issue out next variations every month or two I expect.

Titans aren't overpowered. Really easy to take down, even as a pilot if it's 2 against one. Spent most of my time using cover/buildings to shield me so I could unload the anti-titan gun into them with great success, mainly when I was supporting other titans which would draw their fire.

Parkour is good but levels aren't designed well enough for it in most cases. Better than the usual shit I've seen but still a ton of potential missing out.

Lag was noticeable in close quarters. When you end up getting kicked to death by someone who seems to teleport onto your screen you aren't having a good time.

Runs really well, high frame rate even with anti-jaggy on. Textures are decent, lighting is decent. Nothing mind blowing or exciting.

I would love love love to see this gameplay in a Killzone style single player story mode. Like 5/5 would make me buy a X1. A lot of potential in there.

Recon (sic?) class is super duper overpowered if you can move from cover to cover quickly. Auto aim weapon which is super deadly makes for easy kills. On the more spaced out maps they then become useless as the sheen of the cloak is noticeable, maybe its harder to make out on the blurry, sharpened mess of the X1 version.

Here's an example of the ping....

Close loss and was the only one to make it out on the evac, under fire.

Lag isn't unplayable but you will be irritated 3 or 4 times a match. At least tonight everyone's ping is shit, so it's a bit more fair lol
Would hate to meet players with low ping :/
Best way to play is you put the Titans in AI only on Guard and Follow and just inf the whole time
7TkcAjg.jpg

I've got a spare pc titanfall key is anyone wants it.
I'm really enjoying it on X1. I'm pretty crap at COD or Battlefield but I'm surprisingly better at this which is nice. The titans mixing things up from single shot deaths is probably the only explanation.
I don't have a problem with the bots, just looking at them on the map is a good way of knowing where the action is. You don't have to wander around aimlessly.

I agree the levels haven't been parkoured up enough, well actually the city one might have been but I've only played it once so far. The trade off would be the more open levels are better for titans. Also the titans are awesome. That first moment in a battle when you turn a corner and see an enemy titan coming at you is pretty great.

Jintor

I've found it quite relaxingly droll actually. Reminds me a lot of Mass Effect mechanically. Love the setting and all the little details.

Game is nothing to write home about, another mid-tier effort.

Overall experience isn't worth the little things. Just frustratingly clunky, even moreso than Mass Effect.

I'm also thinking it's probably time to consider upgrading, except I might be going overseas soon. *sigh*

Shaneus

I've got a spare pc titanfall key is anyone wants it.
I'm really enjoying it on X1. I'm pretty crap at COD or Battlefield but I'm surprisingly better at this which is nice. The titans mixing things up from single shot deaths is probably the only explanation.
I don't have a problem with the bots, just looking at them on the map is a good way of knowing where the action is. You don't have to wander around aimlessly.

I agree the levels haven't been parkoured up enough, well actually the city one might have been but I've only played it once so far. The trade off would be the more open levels are better for titans. Also the titans are awesome. That first moment in a battle when you turn a corner and see an enemy titan coming at you is pretty great.
I'll jump in if you don't mind?

Danoss

Sarsaparilla > Root beer

No matter our disagreements (don't think we've had any, or ever will), this alone is enough for me to forgive and forget everything. Sars is wonderful.

That is true if the sars is Bundaberg and the root beer is Australian, otherwise it is terribly wrong.

Bundaberg sars is brilliant indeed, but I have found that Saxby's Double Sars is also quite good.

I've been meaning to say this for a while, on the topic of non-alcoholic drinks. Many moons ago I said that Schweppes lime cordial was superior to Bickfords. I'd just like to point it that I don't think I could have been more wrong. I don't know what cruel trick my memory played on me, but I had some Bickfords lime cordial (henceforth know as 'nectar of the gods') again a while back and no other cordial has passed my lips since. With just the right mix, weak of course, it is both refreshing and incredibly moreish.

Ydahs

Hey guys,

For those who live/have been to Hobart, how hard is it to get around the place without a car? From my understanding there aren't any trams right?

I'm thinking of spending a couple days down there later this month but transport is my biggest concern...

Quasar

Hey guys,

For those who live/have been to Hobart, how hard is it to get around the place without a car? From my understanding there aren't any trams right?

I'm thinking of spending a couple days down there later this month but transport is my biggest concern...

I spent a week there a few years ago. I managed to get a round fine on foot / buses. I was traveling mostly to and from touristy spots / shopping centres though.

Kritz

Banned
If anyone has a TFall key they're not going to use, throw it my way. I kind of need a completely brainless shooter to take my mind of how hard network programming is.

Hey guys,

Much like love, the Hobart buses don't always run on time.

But Hobart's a small place, you can walk around it fine. Anything outside of the CBD, and yer driving though.

Danoss

Thought those who were watching and talking about True Detective might enjoy this.

Alfonso Cuarón's perspective on long takes in film.

I haven't started watching True Detective yet, but I did just see Gravity recently and it was breathtaking to say the least. His reasoning given for the long takes in the above explain the experience that film gave me and why I was able to have it. I didn't analyse the film while watching it, I just took it all in and being able to see what was happening in the background was so crucial and rewarding.

All of De La Soul's discography (besides their latest album, from 2004) is free today: wearedelasoul.com

Specifically:
3 Feet High and Rising
De La Soul Is Dead
Buhloone Mindstate
Stakes Is High
Art Official Intelligence: Mosaic Thump
AOI: Bionix
Remixes, Instrumentals, & Rarities

Also, Danoss, Cuaron is producing (and maybe directing the pilot?) a TV show coming this year.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
All of De La Soul's discography (besides their latest album, from 2004) is free today: wearedelasoul.com

Specifically:
3 Feet High and Rising
De La Soul Is Dead
Buhloone Mindstate
Stakes Is High

Also, Danoss, Cuaron is producing (and maybe directing the pilot?) a TV show coming this year.

it was downloading at a wonderful 27kbps for me. i quit :(

Shaneus

Specifically:
3 Feet High and Rising
De La Soul Is Dead
Buhloone Mindstate
Stakes Is High

WAT.

Depending on the types of downloads, I'll use Free Download Manager to multi-stream download. Stuff 27KB/s or whatever!

Danoss

So a few days ago I accidentally bit down on my tongue barbell, hard, while eating. With the barbell at the length it is I didn't believe this should happen, guess I'll be making a trip to my piercer next week to get a shorter bar for it.

The next day, I felt a rough/sharp area on one of my molars with my tongue. Surfaces like that on teeth are a prelude to decay and I have experienced exactly that as a youngster, young enough that the decayed tooth which was pulled had a replacement on the way. Took me a while to find the details needed, but was relieved to find there is public dental care available for those receiving certain government benefits. I made the call and as damage to teeth is classed as a dental emergency, I had an appointment the next morning.

Upon inspection, the dentist said I was lucky and the damage doesn't appear to be too bad. It was apparently so minor that a filling was not even possible as there would be very little for it to hold on to. All that could be done was polishing the tooth to remove the rough areas without being too aggressive to further remove any enamel. Follow up appointments are immediately flagged in the system so they can have a look at other things such as general cleaning.

I wanted to share this just because I really appreciate the health care options currently available to us. I was initially worried about how expensive it might be to fix my tooth and what I might end up looking at if it was something I couldn't afford. It worries me to no end that as great as our health care system is, even with the numerous hits it has taken, it may be gradually eroded away so much that we look upon even the grossest inconveniences as 'the good old days'.

Dead Man

Dead Man every time he reads the news lately:

L99EpHF.jpg

So in happier news, True Detective. Holy shit, what a fucking awesome start to a series. Caught up to the end of 4 now, that long shot was amazing, certainly lived up to the hype. Show has definitely grabbed me, cheers for the recommendation guys :)

Woody IS not just playing Woody, you were right, the performances in this are pretty awesome. Some of the writing in the scenes with Woody and his wife is a bit off and unnatural to me, but other than that, the show is fucking brilliant. McHuey is brilliant, even better than I expected.

Also, everyone has their free Dungeon Keeper on GOG now, right? Runs out tomorrow (GMT)

The fuck?

Portello is vile shit, you should feel bad for drinking it, let alone enjoying it.

Edit:

r1chard

Portello is vile shit, you should feel bad for drinking it, let alone enjoying it.
You, sir, are incorrect.

Having a heck of a time trying to playm MP Starbound today. Random networking issues on the local home LAN. Probably the damn router, which I have only had for 8 months, and doesn't exhibit issues with any other program/game :( [but no-one else seems to have issues with Starbound]

Ydahs

I spent a week there a few years ago. I managed to get a round fine on foot / buses. I was traveling mostly to and from touristy spots / shopping centres though.

Much like love, the Hobart buses don't always run on time.

But Hobart's a small place, you can walk around it fine. Anything outside of the CBD, and yer driving though.

Cheers.

So the buses don't go far outside of Hobart? Ehhh.... there's probably enough in and around Hobart to keep me entertained for a few days anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom