• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
That Lego Movie was pretty damn great.

Watch it (When it comes out in Australia) if you like great animation, good fast paced jokes, with surprise cameos and references from a ton of different franchises, and a good message for both kids and parents to take away from it.

Such a long wait until it is out here. I'm so excited for it and am only hearing good things about it.

Woo!

26_26wolflsk6s.jpg

Woo!

Gazunta

Please vote for me :)

Today was weird. For some reason Twitter decided that I should be following the last 500 people who have started following me. I know I've been meaning to increase the number of people I follow on Twitter but sheeeeesh it was just too much. By the time I woke up my Twitter feed was piling up like crazy and Twitter was getting unusable which sucked because man I really fucking love Twitter.

So I've managed to cut my feed down a bit but man oh man what a pain that was. BUT HEY I want to make sure I follow everyone on AusGAF at least, so if I added you overnight and have since unfollowed you uh shout out and I'll you back.

Um

Video games.

Please vote for me :)

Today was weird. For some reason Twitter decided that I should be following the last 500 people who have started following me. I know I've been meaning to increase the number of people I follow on Twitter but sheeeeesh it was just too much. By the time I woke up my Twitter feed was piling up like crazy and Twitter was getting unusable which sucked because man I really fucking love Twitter.

So I've managed to cut my feed down a bit but man oh man what a pain that was. BUT HEY I want to make sure I follow everyone on AusGAF at least, so if I added you overnight and have since unfollowed you uh shout out and I'll you back.

Um

Video games.

Holy shit, 2P Start is going again? Had no idea! Used to love them back around 2005 or so. I thought they finished up around 2010 or something. Last strip was the writer in a limo or something.

Got a letter in the mail for jury duty. Should I just do an apu and throw it out?

Going to order my PS4 next week. A friend told me availability in EB is pretty good, you can basically walk in and get one.

Yep. I walked past a jb at lunch and they had a massive sign saying they were in stock.

legend166

I think I'm going to take up a really obscure sport and then complain because the government won't fund me to do it.

This Winter Olympics team is pretty annoying.

I think I'm going to take up a really obscure sport and then complain because the government won't fund me to do it.

This Winter Olympics team is pretty annoying.

TBH I've only seen our Olympics team smiling and laughing and having a great time. That's mostly just the snowboarders/skiers though since I'm not watching much (although those athletes tend to go to the Olympics as a side dish to their professional career).

u gonna get fined

Yeah did some googling and it turns out your right (I figured there would be some kind of consequence), though how they can enforce it when the letter isn't even sent registered would be interesting.

TBH I've only seen our Olympics team smiling and laughing and having a great time. That's mostly just the snowboarders/skiers though since I'm not watching much (although those athletes tend to go to the Olympics as a side dish to their professional career).

Yeah but it's never the popular sports people complaining about not getting paid. My reaction every time is they should have picked a more popular sport.

Yeah did some googling and it turns out your right (I figured there would be some kind of consequence), though how they can enforce it when the letter isn't even sent registered would be interesting.

Grab a Rodney Rude tshirt from your local op-shop for $3 and turn up wearing it.

You will be pushed out of duty even faster if it has an Aboriginal joke on it.

Danoss

Got a letter in the mail for jury duty. Should I just do an apu and throw it out?

Stating the obvious and redundant here – attend.

Not sure how different things are outside of NSW, but I would think it would be somewhat similar. If your group isn't outright dismissed beforehand or on the day, it is best to attend and see if you are picked for a jury. If you're selected, it's obvious what needs to be done; if not, they'll wipe you off the list for a number of years before your name is thrown back in the pool to be possibly be chosen again.

If you really don't want to serve this time around, the easiest way out is to say "I cannot be impartial in this case" when presented with the opportunity and you will be dismissed, no questions asked. However, if you do, your name will be available for selection in 3 months time if they don't have another selection to send you to that day.

I'll give you a tip to use in aiding your selection/dismissal. There is a misconception that if you want to be selected then it is a good idea to dress up for the occasion, to appear intelligent, respectable and so on. This is a good way to aid you in getting stricken from every jury available – they do not want intelligent people on the jury, they want people who are more easily influenced and swayed.

This is from someone who served nearly 12 months on a jury and picked up these things, among others, from court officers and sheriffs. At the time I was chosen, I was sporting long hair and a beard while wearing shorts, a t-shirt and joggers – my fellow jurors were shocked that I was chosen, given my appearance. The trial I served on was for a terrorism case and the crown and each defendant had 5 strikes each (where they can dismiss any possible juror without justification), but they were not allowed to ask questions in this particular instance. I laughed inside (though many did so aloud) when there was a lady in front of me wearing a hijab and, upon her number being called, stood to the chorus of 3 barristers striking her from the jury. One of them said "I'll take this one", as the strike had to come from one place. The lady promptly left with a calm "just as expected" reaction.

Jintor

You sat for 12 months on a terrorism case? holy shit.

I've attended twice and got chosen once for a week-long drug trafficking case.

senahorse

Jury Duty, one of the most grating experiences of my life, never again please. Attended once, did a 3 day case regarding a robbing of a tax driver. One and a half years (3 months ago) later I got called up again but managed to get out of it. I think if you get called up and attend you should go to the end of the list, obviously not so.

I went into Jury Duty. Basically sat around all day waiting for the selection process and got told at about 3pm that we weren't needed and that was it.

That was about 3 years ago now and I haven't been called back yet.

Dunno why people are so anti-jury duty though. I was really disappointed I didn't get selected. I think it would be interesting! Even on the day, I sat around talking to some really interesting people from all walks of life. Certainly didn't feel like a waste of my time.

I'm not a business owner though (I can see how people with serious work commitments would want to avoid a trial) so I was not missed at work.

Jintor

Jury Duty, one of the most grating experiences of my life, never again please. Attended once, did a 3 day case regarding a robbing of a tax driver. One and a half years (3 months ago) later I got called up again but managed to get out of it. I think if you get called up and attend you should go to the end of the list, obviously not so.

You were off the list for a year, and then back in the lottery you go, I think.

r1chard

Huh. I've had The Duty twice but never actually required to sit on a case. Made it into the selection once, but didn't get chosen. Also, my wisdom teeth came out quickly and painlessly.

senahorse

You were off the list for a year, and then back in the lottery you go, I think.

Yep that's how it is, I don't agree with it. Also I have read if you get out of it like I did, you often will get called up again 3-6 months later, I hope not. I completely lost faith in the Jury process during my stint and found it rather boring to boot, I would rather to be at work doing something productive.

edit: actually I lied before, it was the second most grating experience of my life, the number one spot goes to a week long ITIL course urghh

Danoss

You sat for 12 months on a terrorism case? holy shit.

I've attended twice and got chosen once for a week-long drug trafficking case.

Sure did. It was the second longest deliberation in the history of the state I was told, short by only a few days I think.

I'd recommend that everyone experience this at least once in their life. It's so very interesting, despite what many may think. It will ruin most fictional depictions of courtroom proceedings for you forever, most are way off the mark. I will say that I saw a cross-examination that was far more brutal than any ever depicted on film; if my jaw were capable of hitting the floor, it would have. Seeing someone so effectively torn to shreds with only words was truly a sight to behold. I don't think any description could ever to it justice. My word!

In the end, it became rather draining for me. If it hadn't gone on for so long, I would have been eager to be a juror again in the future. We were offered lifetime pardons from ever having to serve on a jury ever again if we so wished. I took the offer.

Arksy

Sure did. It was the second longest deliberation in the history of the state I was told, short by only a few days I think.

I'd recommend that everyone experience this at least once in their life. It's so very interesting, despite what many may think. It will ruin most fictional depictions of courtroom proceedings for you forever, most are way off the mark. I will say that I saw a cross-examination that was far more brutal than any ever depicted on film; if my jaw were capable of hitting the floor, it would have. Seeing someone so effectively torn to shreds with only words was truly a sight to behold. I don't think any description could ever to it justice. My word!

In the end, it became rather draining for me. If it hadn't gone on for so long, I would have been eager to be a juror again in the future. We were offered lifetime pardons from ever having to serve on a jury ever again if we so wished. I took the offer.

You should see what happens to victims of rape during a cross-examination. Even today after they amended the laws to forbid certain questions. I've seen two in my life and if I never have to see one again it will be too soon.

The trial I served on was for a terrorism case and the crown and each defendant had 5 strikes each (where they can dismiss any possible juror without justification).

Totally forgot that, such an interesting system that can be abused really easily.

I will say that I saw a cross-examination that was far more brutal than any ever depicted on film; if my jaw were capable of hitting the floor, it would have. Seeing someone so effectively torn to shreds with only words was truly a sight to behold. I don't think any description could ever to it justice. My word!

That sucks though, I know a few people who have been dragged through the courts by real cunts of lawyers. Not a great experience for the defendants who draw a real cunt of a prosecutor that doesn't care if they are telling the truth or not :(

Arksy

What Danoss said definitely has some merit, they definitely don't want managers, CEOs and other people in positions of power or leadership because those people have a tendency to influence everyone else in the jury, and in the end you basically get opinion of one.

What Danoss said definitely has some merit, they definitely don't want managers, CEOs and other people in positions of power or leadership because those people have a tendency to influence everyone else in the jury, and in the end you basically get opinion of one.

Well that sucks because I hoped every jury duty would be like this

Danoss

That sucks though, I know a few people who have been dragged through the courts by real cunts of lawyers. Not a great experience for the defendants who draw a real cunt of a prosecutor that doesn't care if they are telling the truth or not :(

This cross-examination wasn't mean in any way, it was just an incredibly efficient barrage of questions. I can imagine how bad it could be though.

Quasar

I went into Jury Duty. Basically sat around all day waiting for the selection process and got told at about 3pm that we weren't needed and that was it.

Same here.

I was rather bummed.

Dunno why people are so anti-jury duty though. I was really disappointed I didn't get selected. I think it would be interesting!

Yeah. I think jury duty and voting are reasonable requests/duties to be a member of a supposedly democratic society.

Cerity

I went to jury duty awhile ago, rocked up, got told to wait around for a bit, they told us how to conduct ourselves in court, waited around a bit and actually went into proceedings. It was a pretty crazy manslaughter case so the witness list was huge, got called up as a juror but they rejected me for being a student.

I want to do it again and actually sit as a juror, I find everything about courts and law interesting.

Looks like SBS2 started replaying classic local satire Life Support last week. Check it out at 8:30 if you haven't seen it before though I'm sure AusGAF, being people of such refined taste, are already longtime fans.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Damn no $300 korean monitor for me, He had sold out and the system let me add an order.

I've been refunded and all which is nice. Just sucks!

Looks like SBS2 started replaying classic local satire Life Support last week. Check it out at 8:30 if you haven't seen it before though I'm sure AusGAF, being people of such refined taste, are already longtime fans.

OG DR RUDI 4 LYFE

So cool that Sigourney was on Play School and Little Ted's Big Adventures :)

r1chard

MitchamGAF is where it's at. Well, except Holy's beer stash.

Just got home from the school info night for daughter's grade 5 year. Some sobering stuff in there about cybersafety (her mum and I reckon we're doing a pretty good job but there really has to be zero complacency... eeek).

Also, tonight I discovered that the local Doc's has Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban for $80 and it's just as goddamn lovely to drink as I vaguely remember the last time I had it a few years ago :) Mmm. Port cask aged scotch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom