• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mondy

Banned
Yeah, but why, what were they afraid of?

Censor it.

Controversy. This shit will end up on Fox News once it becomes publicized, you can bet your life on that and Ubisoft can return serve by saying most versions are "voluntarily censored".

Yeah, but why, what were they afraid of?

Game is super late. Should have been out more than a year ago.

They didn't want to deal with a ban so they (most likely) got a review done by knowledgeable people and wrote a way around the censors that hangs a lantern on the issue of video game censorship.

The South Park TV show have been dealing with this for years. Matt & Trey know the game at this point.

Dead Man

Controversy. This shit will end up on Fox News once it becomes publicized, you can bet your life on that and Ubisoft can return serve by saying most versions are "voluntarily censored".

Yeah, but it isn't censured in the US is it? So Fox won't care.

Game is super late. Should have been out more than a year ago.

They didn't want to deal with a ban so they (most likely) got a review done by knowledgeable people and wrote a way around the censors that hangs a lantern on the issue of video game censorship.

The South Park TV show have been dealing with this for years. Matt & Trey know the game at this point.
But what ban? Would any of the Euro ratings boards have banned the game uncut? They seem much more interested in realistic violence.

Would any of the Euro ratings boards have banned the game uncut?

Probably. Otherwise why would Obsidian make the changes only for that region. A lot of the boards over there can advise on content while in production rather than just once the game is completed (which is what they have to do here).

They were always going to do a different version for Germany, not sure if they are basing the whole region on that edition rather than just gimping the German one. I actually expected Choc to follow up on this so I might hit him up on Twitter for a rundown.

Update on the Leffe Tripels. So turns out the stickers on them claiming they are 1.2 standard drinks is complete bullshit... they are definitely 8.5% so someone fails at math.

It's NOT a 1st Choice wide deal, only at my local store seemingly. It doesn't seem to be a clearance price either, just the normal price tag. Sadly, they didn't have a full carton in stock, but they have put my name down and will reserve a carton if they get more stock in.

Does anyone know if there's some way I can get this price matched, or get 1st Choice to guarantee they will order a carton in at this price for me? Someone who is up on consumer laws blah blah? Because damnit, $65 is a fantastic price for these beers!

Probably got a bulk deal on old stock that couldn't be shifted, or it's a one off parallel import.

To determine Australian standard drinks: (Volume in L) x (ABV) x 0.789.

So: 0.335(?) x 8.5 x 0.789 = 2.2466775 drinks per bottle.

Mondy

Banned
Guys! Guys! Sunday Night broke some real news for once! You aren't gonna believe what it is.

As it turns out, Mike Willesee is a terrible liar.

Probably got a bulk deal on old stock that couldn't be shifted, or it's a one off parallel import.

To determine Australian standard drinks: (Volume in L) x (ABV) x 0.789.

So: 0.335(?) x 8.5 x 0.789 = 2.2466775 drinks per bottle.

That's some fancy numbers you got there. I have no idea why they have stickers on them that say 1.2 standard drinks.

The store in question is right next to the gym I go to, so I go in a couple of times a week and scour the shelves for specials like a hawk. I'm going to keep harassing them until I get my beers!

Economy Services - FREE
Economy Int'l Postage
Est. delivery between Mon. 7 Apr. - Thu. 1 May.
ugh
for a replacement battery for my ipod speakers
does anywhere in australia sell replacement batteries
found 1 site online but that shit was twice as expensive

Canberra has overtaken Adelaide as Australia's most liveable city.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-03-...tralia-most-liveable-city/5294170?section=act

But but but... (august 2013, worldwide 140 cities)

TOP 10
Melbourne, Australia
Vienna, Austria
Vancouver, Canada
Toronto, Canada
Calgary, Canada
Adelaide, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Helsinki, Finland
Perth, Australia
Auckland, New Zealand

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel...city--again-20130828-2sprk.html#ixzz2uqfiJHkV

markot

Banned
We walked in the cold air.
Freezing breath on a window pane,
Lying and waiting.
The man in the dark in a picture frame,
So mystic and soulful.
A voice reaching out in a piercing cry,
It stays with you until

The feeling has gone only you and I.
It means nothing to me.
This means nothing to me.
Oh Vienna,.

senahorse

This is why we can't have nice things...

CONTENT & MANAGEMENT
Illegal Netflix Content A Big Concern For Foxtel

By David Richards | Monday | 03/03/2014

Executives from US content streaming Company Netflix who attended this year's CES 2014 confirmed with SmartHouse that they have more than 100,000 registered Australian accounts that have accessed their service a number that is causing concern at Foxtel.

Some sources claim that the amount is over 200,000 and growing as the Company delivers shows like House of Cards and Arrested Development.

One source said recently that more people are watching House of Cards via illegal Bit Torrent sites that are paying via Foxtel who SmartHouse understands has approached Netflix to turn off the Australian accounts as it is impacting their ability to sell Netflix content in Australia.

Later this year a 4K version of House Of Cards along with several other Netflix shows will be available via LG Electronics Ultra High Definition TV's.

During an interview with SmartHouse at CES Netflix CEO Reed Hastings said that the only issue holding his Company back from launching their service in Australia was the cost that movie studio's wanted to charge Netflix for granting access to their content.

We have also been told that Foxtel executives have approached US studio executives about the potential of losing viewers to Netflix, the subscription TV service is concerned as to the impact that Netflix could have on their growth moving forward.

Foxtel's biggest concern is that Netflix is flouting international regulations by accepting payments from Australian credit cards.

Currently Australian users of the Netflix service are easily bypassing geo-blocking using VPN manipulation or a fake IP addresses that can easily be obtained online.

The Australian newspaper which is owned by News Corporation who also own 50% of Foxtel said that the major issue now for Australian broadcasters is that any local subscribers Netflix allows dilutes the value of their output deals with international partners, such as Nine's with Warner Bros or Foxtel Movies' with various Hollywood studios. The number of viewers lost to Australian networks is unquantifiable though.

"This is an issue the US studios should be taking up with Netflix because they're not getting paid," one network executive said.

The issue is not likely to fall within the federal government's anti-piracy agenda.
One executive said Australian networks had two courses of action to counter unofficial Netflix subscribers: combat piracy or make content cheaper and easier to access.

This week, Foxtel confirmed plans to establish a beachhead against Netflix with the launch of its Presto subscription video service on March 13.

Complementing its Foxtel Play service, the stand-alone streaming service will not require a Foxtel home subscription and has a competitive advantage with its strong movie line-up.

Foxtel also unveiled a discount Foxtel Play deal for Game of Thrones after sewing up exclusive digital rights to the popular fantasy drama, to the chagrin of many Australian fans. Game of Thrones is the most pirated TV series by Australian consumers.
http://www.channelnews.com.au/conte...netflix-content-a-big-concern-for-foxtel.aspx

Load of horse shit, fuck off Murdoch.

make content cheaper and easier to access
This has been proven time and again to be the best way. Why Foxtel doesn't just try to call some offering Foxtel Netflix and team up to do the local distribution instead of just jumping up and down is beyond me...

.. Oh wait, Murdoch. Never mind.

Deeku

Speaking of House of Cards, I finished off season 2 on the weekend, was kinda mehhh. Pretty disappointed considering how good s1 was.

Gazunta

BrisGAF! Do you know of any arcades that can still do 'lock ins' that I can hire for the night?

Preferably in the southside....

Edit: On a related note, the Mana Bar's website just redirects to their Facebook page now. Hrm :/

BrisGAF! Do you know of any arcades that can still do 'lock ins' that I can hire for the night?

Preferably in the southside....

Edit: On a related note, the Mana Bar's website just redirects to their Facebook page now. Hrm :/

Timezone down the coast does 2 hour unlimited sessions still I think.

Stackboy

Mazda will probably be my next car too.

Looking at getting a Mazda3 myself.

Played 10 hours straight of BF4 on the weekend. LAN party at a friends place. Haven't done that since my Goldeneye N64 teenager days. Didn't even stop for lunch. Just got pizza delivered and ate between games.

I was a wreck for the rest of the weekend.

Kind of kicking myself that I ordered a PS4 through EB and JB has walk in units available.

Gazunta

I need a place I can hire out exclusively for the night or at least a couple of hours, I remember being able to do that back in the day...hrm :/

Danoss

http://www.channelnews.com.au/conte...netflix-content-a-big-concern-for-foxtel.aspx

Nice one! It's the fault of everyone except Foxtel, of course.

Perhaps trying to monopolise and control the market under the pretense that accessible alternatives don't exist elsewhere isn't the smartest business move. It's surprising to no one that when another company offers a better service that people flock to it, except Murdoch apparently.

Shaneus

I need a place I can hire out exclusively for the night or at least a couple of hours, I remember being able to do that back in the day...hrm :/
Sounds like the perfect justification to buy around a dozen or so arcade machines and another half-dozen pinnies.

Dead Man

So, if I'm spending 10 dollars to get an arcade racer with licensed cars and an openish world for console, do I get TDU2 or Most Wanted?

Gazunta

Most Wanted

because fuck giving Atari any of your money.

Edit: Thanks Poimandres!! I'll give these guys a holler. Man the Timezone on Surfers is lovely.

Edit 2 Revenge of Edit: Damn it Shaneus don't tempt me!

That's what I figured. Cheers.

I think Most Wanted puts a whole bunch of shit behind a paywall though. Like a bunch of cars driving around that you need to purchase, and whole chunks of the city that are closed off.

I dunno... maybe there's a definitive edition these days or something, but there was a thread about it here. Amusingly, that might make the Wii U version the one to get because it didn't get any of the DLC bullshit.

Dead Man

I think Most Wanted puts a whole bunch of shit behind a paywall though. Like a bunch of cars driving around that you need to purchase, and whole chunks of the city that are closed off.

I dunno... maybe there's a definitive edition these days or something, but there was a thread about it here. Amusingly, that might make the Wii U version the one to get because it didn't get any of the DLC bullshit.

Well fuck. Maybe I'll just get beer instead.

Quasar

Anyone imported a ChromeCast to Australia lately?

I'm interested in a second and was looking for the cheapest option around. With the free netflix coupon gone using my previous route of a remailer service isn't as cheap as it once was.

I'd thought about the Fishpond 50$ option, but a few people seem to have had a bad experience there. So I'm wondering what my options are.

mandiller

Free market until someone else innovates better than you then baaaawwww.

That's pretty much the motto of every major business :D I've started using Netflix via a proxy and I no longer watch tv channels. Meh, I've got everything I want to watch, whenever I want to watch it. $8/month is pretty good.

Mondy

Banned

This will never happen. Netflix MUST command much more money with studio execs than Foxtel ever could. They are smart enough to know when the winds are changing. Murdoch won't bust his own balls trying to keep Foxtel afloat. They might have a monopoly on pay TV, but it's also a monopoly that is being strangled to death. Foxtel might have fooled HBO into signing on and shame on them for taking the bait, but others won't be so dumb.

This will never happen. Netflix MUST command much more money with studio execs than Foxtel ever could. They are smart enough to know when the winds are changing. Murdoch won't bust his own balls trying to keep Foxtel afloat. They might have a monopoly on pay TV, but it's also a monopoly that is being strangled to death. Foxtel might have fooled HBO into signing on and shame on them for taking the bait, but others won't be so dumb.

http://m.foxtel.com.au/houseofcards2.rbml

Quasar

I'll admit I've long been surprised netflix accepts Australia credit cards for this.

And the whole rumour of up to 200k Australian Netflix users is where all the rumours of netflix opening in Australia came from. I wonder how that will all play into foxtels upset and pushing of government etc.

I'd be pretty bummed if netflix no longer accepted Australian credit cards. It wouldn't in any way encourage me to get foxtel though. if anything that just encourages people to return to torrents.

Dryk

The Victorian Opposition was oozing salt this afternoon regarding the Adelaide royal visit

I'd be pretty bummed if netflix no longer accepted Australian credit cards. It wouldn't in any way encourage me to get foxtel though. if anything that just encourages people to return to torrents.
That's why the longer the Netflix grey market exists the better (for everyone except Foxtel)

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
The Victorian Opposition was oozing salt this afternoon regarding the Adelaide royal visit

That's why the longer the Netflix grey market exists the better (for everyone except Foxtel)

theyre going to elizabeth

im fucking salty too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom