• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

There is, but I'll be fucked if I give them $40/year for the privilege of bypassing geoblocks to watch sport from the country in which I live.

Fair enough. I'm paying 5$ a month for the priviledge of using netflix (among others) and I dont even use netflix much after all :)

Dead Man

Haha that's great.

I'm also enjoying this.

That is creepy as fuck. In a similar vein, although far less creepy:

Slow Ass Jolene

Fair enough. I'm paying 5$ a month for the priviledge of using netflix (among others) and I dont even use netflix much after all :)

Yeah, but that's paying for a service that does something. Paying V8 supercars is just not on my agenda, especially since the better option requires pretending to be not Australian, which is a kick in the teeth for local fans.

Here's a video with all the South Park censored stuff. Pretty cool!

So, if I'm spending 10 dollars to get an arcade racer with licensed cars and an openish world for console, do I get TDU2 or Most Wanted?
TDU2 was pretty rough.

Blur is pretty great. Not open world though. Even Split Second is a ton of fun, didn't expect that.

Bought NFS Undercover today on Steam as it was only $2.50 and looks pretty cool lol

Anyone imported a ChromeCast to Australia lately?

I'm interested in a second and was looking for the cheapest option around. With the free netflix coupon gone using my previous route of a remailer service isn't as cheap as it once was.

I'd thought about the Fishpond 50$ option, but a few people seem to have had a bad experience there. So I'm wondering what my options are.
I'm keen, really want to run Plex in the loungeroom without the PS3 so I can play The Last Of Us in the office!

How is it?

Ordered a Roku type thing off eBay for $40ish but the dealer ran off and got banned. Got the money back through Paypal but annoying I didn't get the media box I wanted :(

Chromecast looks to be hard to get. Aside from Fishpond there are a few on eBay but with a pricey markup sadly.

how do you make friends in uni?
Alcohol.

Or shared interests.

Like video games!

Anything both people are passionate about.

i feel like kfc today

thanks gaf.
Super keen. Haven't had any junk since the Geelong/Melb trip.

FROTHING FOR SOME SUPER SUGARY SAVOURY FOOD >_<

Protip: never play Lumines while looking after your child. You will never even see when he ejects the Peppa Pig DVD from the player, then try to make a getaway with it.

Protip: Put all 4 seasons of Peppa Pig on a USB and have a device near the TV at all times out of reach of kids :)

Also Ben & Holly's Magic Kingdom!!!

how do you make friends in uni?

Join a club!!! Join all the clubs!! and go to their events!! Also, if your major has a home block, generally there will be billboards advertising stuff related to that major. I also ended up finding a bunch of social things not really related to the university on those billboards.

Making friends in class can be tough, but in tutorials or something people generally have discussions so get in there and talk to whoever you're sitting next to. Sometimes you don't click, but other times you end up with a buddy to sit with all through your degree!
Your misfortune amuses me shan
hope them extremities are ok
haha, yeah. Mostly just sad I didn't get to eat it. Jeez butter chicken stains easily though.

Protip: Put all 4 seasons of Peppa Pig on a USB and have a device near the TV at all times out of reach of kids :)

Ben & Holly's Little Kingdom is hilarious and made by the same people. I love all the little references and shameless ripoffs they do. The Elf Rescue Service being a send up of Thunderbirds, all the LotR references etc. as an added bonus, the shows give sly winks to each other as well.

Ben & Holly's Little Kingdom is hilarious and made by the same people. I love all the little references and shameless ripoffs they do. The Elf Rescue Service being a send up of Thunderbirds, all the LotR references etc. as an added bonus, the shows give sly winks to each other as well.

I also love that the dude who does Daddy Pig is the narrator in Tearaway!

Shaneus

So, if I'm spending 10 dollars to get an arcade racer with licensed cars and an openish world for console, do I get TDU2 or Most Wanted?
I'd get TDU1.

Actually, fuck it. Get Midnight Club LA. I shit you not, it's exactly what you're looking for. Plays great, looks insane and you should be able to get it including DLC ("Complete edition" or whatever) for cheap. Honestly, would shit all over both MW and TDU2. And you don't have to support either Atari or EA :)

I keep forgetting how good that game is. I might fire it up again tonight for the first time in ages. Great soundtrack, too.

Most Wanted

because fuck giving Atari any of your money.
Yeah. EA is much better :/

In all seriousness, you make friends much in the same way you make enemies: being in the close proximity with other people. I can't actually remember what the origin was for any of my really close friends except we were all in the same place at the same time and not really by choice (school/work).
I'm also pretty sure they were the cheapest/had the least to lose by being seen with you.

Stackboy

Protip: never play Lumines while looking after your child. You will never even see when he ejects the Peppa Pig DVD from the player, then try to make a getaway with it.

Protip: Always play Lumines

Batman Arkham Knight announced! 2014, next gen only.

Trailer is godlike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NkuD0Inb9Gs

It's pretty incredible how good looking CG is for gametrailers these days. Despite the fact that they give nothing about gameplay away.

Shaneus

It's pretty incredible how good looking CG is for gametrailers these days. Despite the fact that they give nothing about gameplay away.
Ergo still completely pointless. AAA trailers shit me to tears with how representative they aren't of the games they're promoting. Still, I'm not their target market so it doesn't really matter.

markot

Banned
Now that is how you do a batsuit and batmobile! Damn.

no

batmobile_batman_1989.jpg

batman-1989-23-g.jpg

AAA trailers shit me to tears with how representative they aren't of the games they're promoting.
Well, they are representative. They represent the style, feel, pace of the game. They're not representative of the gameplay or in-game graphics, but they do represent a lot.

Having enjoyed the first two batman arkham games and avoided the latest one, count me in
three months after release when it's $15

Batman trailer looks great. Interested in the new look Batmobile and hopefully it'll be something we can actually use in the game. Bat suit also looks rad.

I need to get more Peppa on DVD. Maybe I should do the USB trick. Then I would need to get a device also.

Ben & Holly is great. So bloody funny.

Batmobile is heavily featured. Sounds like GTA Batman tbh. Not sure how I feel about everything being streamlined.
Tons of takedowns are now group takedowns and you can use gadgets during pretty much every animation cycle.

Some Riddler trophies are
batmobile races around the city, hitting buttons and such, while jumping off epic ramps. You can even eject out of the batmobile mid-air and glide across the city. NFI what happens to the batmobile when you bail out lol

I'm there day one but it's not the direction I wanted the series to go. Would love the inevitable 2015 spin off game to be a smaller, tighter more atmospheric title like Asylum was.

Ben & Holly is great. So bloody funny.

I like how the plots are a little more involved than Peppa Pig. The writing is spot on everytime, love Grand Old Elf so much lol

Having them all on USB was a godsend, especially around the 18 month - 2year old mark.

Still the only shows on TV he has to watch.

Batmobile is heavily featured. Sounds like GTA Batman tbh. Not sure how I feel about everything being streamlined.
Tons of takedowns are now group takedowns and you can use gadgets during pretty much every animation cycle.

batmobile races around the city, hitting buttons and such, while jumping off epic ramps. You can even eject out of the batmobile mid-air and glide across the city. NFI what happens to the batmobile when you bail out lol

I'm there day one but it's not the direction I wanted the series to go. Would love the inevitable 2015 spin off game to be a smaller, tighter more atmospheric title like Asylum was.

Sounds all good to me. I'm excited for the Batmobile and I hope the city has a bit more life to it. Arkham City just seemed empty after a while.

I like how the plots are a little more involved than Peppa Pig. The writing is spot on everytime, love Grand Old Elf so much lol

Having them all on USB was a godsend, especially around the 18 month - 2year old mark.

Still the only shows on TV he has to watch.

Yeah it's definitely more involved than Peppa. Wise Old Elf and Nanny Plum are brilliant.

Quasar

I'm keen, really want to run Plex in the loungeroom without the PS3 so I can play The Last Of Us in the office!

How is it?

Ordered a Roku type thing off eBay for $40ish but the dealer ran off and got banned. Got the money back through Paypal but annoying I didn't get the media box I wanted :(

Chromecast looks to be hard to get. Aside from Fishpond there are a few on eBay but with a pricey markup sadly.

I find it pretty good.

My biggest beef is with the whole issue of the ChromeCast having hardwired DNS settings, which makes using netflix from Australia over it more troublesome.

Another is that with Plex streaming to a ChromeCast it currently does not handle soft subs well. They are all giant sized. Though it is essentially still in beta so I'm willing to cut them some slack there.

Its not as good as a PC running XBMC hooked up to a TV though in terms stream quality.

Plex are limiting streams to 12 mbps for instance - dunno if thats due to what the device can handle or to try and make sure video is stable over wifi. And the device does not natively handle surround audio formats from what I can tell. I expect everything gets converted to 6 channel aac.

Another issue is with it not for sale in Australia we'll never see it supported by the likes of iView.

But the simplicity and low cost I really like. It does make me wish for a AppleTV like box that did the same thing. had a bit more grunt to handle more media formats natively and ethernet so there'd be no need to worry about flakey wifi.

With Google trying to sell the whole GoogleCast platform that its all built on I had hoped we'd have seen OEMs showing such boxes at CES. Sadly there was none of that.

In any case I found a second on Ebay that wasn't TOO horrendous. 50$ new inc shipping.

Since this is the last of the Arkham games, it's likely that the next game(s) will focus on the Justice League and bring in other DC characters, just like with the movies.

Another is that with Plex streaming to a ChromeCast it currently does not handle soft subs well. They are all giant sized. Though it is essentially still in beta so I'm willing to cut them some slack there.

But the simplicity and low cost I really like. It does make me wish for a AppleTV like box that did the same thing. had a bit more grunt to handle more media formats natively and ethernet so there'd be no need to worry about flakey wifi.

With Google trying to sell the whole GoogleCast platform that its all built on I had hoped we'd have seen OEMs showing such boxes at CES. Sadly there was none of that.

In any case I found a second on Ebay that wasn't TOO horrendous. 50$ new inc shipping.
I keep forgetting that Plex is subscriber only too atm on Chromecast >_<

Any other issues? I would only be using it for Plex and to stream kids movies/tv shows as well as the wifes tv shows. All of which would be 480p and no subtitles as I watch my anime in the office (TEH WEEABO!).

Thanks for the extra info!

Since this is the last of the Arkham games, it's likely that the next game(s) will focus on the Justice League and bring in other DC characters, just like with the movies.

It's the last of the Rockstead Batman games, not Arkham games. This is the end of their selfdescribed trilogy, 2 other developers have already made 3 other Arkham games.

WB will use the brand awareness to pump out another one or two in 2015/2016.

Wouldn't be surprised to find that Armature have a PS3/360 port of Arkham Knight ready to hit in 01/2015 either.

Its not as good as a PC running XBMC hooked up to a TV though in terms stream quality.
Besides the UI being a little sluggish, Raspberry Pis run XBMC perfectly (1080p/DTS content etc is fine over 100Mb LAN). I moved from a full-blown HTPC to using an always-on Raspberry Pi and don't regret it at all. I'm using an external MySQL database to manage the library so I'm not sure how it handles a totally local library, but I don't think it'd be much difference. I run OpenElec on mine.

Besides the UI being a little sluggish, Raspberry Pis run XBMC perfectly (1080p/DTS content etc is fine over 100Mb LAN). I moved from a full-blown HTPC to using an always-on Raspberry Pi and don't regret it at all. I'm using an external MySQL database to manage the library so I'm not sure how it handles a totally local library, but I don't think it'd be much difference. I run OpenElec on mine.

Does the Pi have wifi?

Does the Pi have wifi?
It supports wifi dongles, though I'm not sure which ones. If you're looking at a specific distribution (e.g. OpenElec, RaspBMC), probably best to see if they have any recommended devices.

I'm planning on getting another Pi for a second XBMC screen in the house in a couple of months, and that one will be wireless if I can get it working.

Edit: Supposedly you can get pretty cheap ones that work...

Quasar

Besides the UI being a little sluggish, Raspberry Pis run XBMC perfectly (1080p/DTS content etc is fine over 100Mb LAN).

Interesting. I bought a Ouya purely for this but found it sluggish as fuck.

How does it handle pure BluRay rips? Thats what I have a fair amount of. And the chromecast natively can't handle tat in terms of 50 mbps streams as well as lossless audio formats (Plex helps here with its live transcoding).

I continue to try and find that mythical non HTPC solution that has all the apps/services I want in one place. Probably won't ever happen.

Its probably not that hard in theory. I mean if an AppleTv v4 came out that was just the 3 plus an app store plus support for Lossless audio I think I'd be done. I mean iOS pretty much has all the apps I want, just that the AppleTV hardware doesn't support the home theatre audio formats I want (understandible I guess as its built mostly as a player for iTunes content and they don't offer stuff in those formats).

Interesting. I bought a Ouya purely for this but found it sluggish as fuck.

How does it handle pure BluRay rips? Thats what I have a fair amount of. And the plex natively can't handle tat in terms of 50 mbps streams as well as lossless audio formats (Plex helps here with its live transcoding).
Haven't ripped any myself but had a 40 or 50GB LOTR rip that it played back fine and was able to seek no problems. Over wired network.

Quasar

Haven't ripped any myself but had a 40 or 50GB LOTR rip that it played back fine and was able to seek no problems. Over wired network.

And it handles HD audio formats (DTS HD MA / Dolby True HD)? I know XBMC does but I thought that the new audio engine that supported it was just on the windows version.

Speaking of which...XBMC 13 beta1 is out. Huzzah.

Not sure I can see much change...except for some interface simplifying in the configuration menus.

Dead Man

I'd get TDU1.

Actually, fuck it. Get Midnight Club LA. I shit you not, it's exactly what you're looking for. Plays great, looks insane and you should be able to get it including DLC ("Complete edition" or whatever) for cheap. Honestly, would shit all over both MW and TDU2. And you don't have to support either Atari or EA :)

I keep forgetting how good that game is. I might fire it up again tonight for the first time in ages. Great soundtrack, too.
I knew I liked you.

Already got it, that and MC3 are the best arcade racers I have ever played. Original MW is up there too, but MC was so good, pity what happened.

And it handles HD audio formats (DTS HD MA / Dolby True HD)? I know XBMC does but I thought that the new audio engine that supported it was just on the windows version.
I'm pretty sure it has the new audio engine. Can't recall whether those formats are supported or if I even have anything with those formats, will check the LOTR rips later today. My receiver can handle them fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom