• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

people don't buy because shit's expensive
solution: have cheaper deals for more content
people are buying the cheaper stuff now and not the expensive stuff
solution: make the cheap stuff more expensive

???

Card Boy

Banned

Basically 10% GST on softcover (digital) movies, shows, books, music and apps. In addition to orders under $1000 from overseas.

Netflix, Apple, Valve (Steam), Google are some of the companies directly effected by this.

We already pay the most in this country and they want more!

Darren870

If they want more tax money they should go to all the "cash only" businesses that surely don't claim all their earnings.

Heck, just come with me for a day, I can point 100's of them out in Melbourne. Missus knows plenty of cleaners and handyman that only do cash only through work (property management). She refuses to use them (also can't) because she knows they likely don't claim it.

Shaneus

people don't buy because shit's expensive
solution: have cheaper deals for more content
people are buying the cheaper stuff now and not the expensive stuff
solution: make the cheap stuff more expensive

???
people are pirating too much
solution: provide access to some digital content
people aren't pirating enough?
solution: add gst to all digital content

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
If they want more tax money they should go to all the "cash only" businesses that surely don't claim all their earnings.

Heck, just come with me for a day, I can point 100's of them out in Melbourne. Missus knows plenty of cleaners and handyman that only do cash only through work (property management). She refuses to use them (also can't) because she knows they likely don't claim it.

That takes effort. Whereas telling a bunch of highly-organised and compliant corporations to do something takes one email.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
So, who's going to Supanova this w/e? I'll probably be at the pinball thing all weekend, so if you see me (I have a glorious red beard) come say hi!

Will be there on Sunday. Didn't know they had a pinball thing. That's pretty doope. Will have a look and say hi!

Quasar

Holy fuck at that 'Netflix' tax. It's like they want people to pirate.

Well I don't see why local services would not include GST. The majority seem to avoid the tax by operating out of the country though. I actually found it interesting that EA includes GST with Origin purchases, but Steam doesn't. And I think Apple includes GST on digital purchases, whilst Google Play doesn't.

hidys

Well I don't see why local services would not include GST. The majority seem to avoid the tax by operating out of the country though. I actually found it interesting that EA includes GST with Origin purchases, but Steam doesn't. And I think Apple includes GST on digital purchases, whilst Google Play doesn't.

Pretty much this.

If a physical good has a sales tax why shouldn't a digital version of that good come with the same tax?

Quasar

Pretty much this.

If a physical good has a sales tax why shouldn't a digital version of that good come with the same tax?

Of course it will be interesting to see if people don't just try to avoid it through VPNs and using non Australian services. Certainly GST is a small factor in the price differential between US and Australian PSN prices.

I'd probably more annoyed if Hockey forced through a change to GST collection so GST is applied to all imports (rather than just those over $1000).

hidys

Of course it will be interesting to see if people don't just try to avoid it through VPNs and using non Australian services.

I'd probably more annoyed if Hockey forced through a change to GST collection so GST is applied to all imports (rather than just those over $1000).

I don't think they would do that since it would be a regulatory nightmare.

But I guess you never know.

Jintor

So if POS transaction was always taking place outside the country that means that article idea I had a while back about how steam sales were technically not sold in-country was accurate!

goddamnit i really should've written that article

jambo

Google Play purchases always say Ireland for me, cheeky buggers.

Quasar

I don't think they would do that since it would be a regulatory nightmare.

But I guess you never know.

Well Hockey did it up specifically thats quoted by the guardian piece.

http://www.theguardian.com/australi...-to-add-gst-to-music-movie-and-game-downloads

The Guardian said:
Hockey is also continuing his push to charge GST on online purchases worth less than $1000.

Arguing that there are fewer major providers exporting to Australia now than a few years ago, Hockey said that charging for smaller items would mean “competitive neutrality” between overseas businesses and Australian ones.

“There is no doubt that there would be an increase in overall revenue if the GST were to applied right across the board to the delivery of information and licensing and so on over the internet, as if it were delivered domestically. There would be an increase in the GST and, you know, it comes back into the tax net,” he said.

Quasar

Google Play purchases always say Ireland for me, cheeky buggers.

Yeah. That's how they get around it.

And I guess not having a local presence is how Valve avoids it all, wheras EA has a local presence which is the reason why I guess they collect GST (and charge in AUD) on Origin.

Jintor

Honestly on some level I get where that's coming from, obviously it's a huge problem for local companies to have to compete with companies that aren't paying GST but are still servicing a local market

it's just that introducing this (which will result on rising costs for consumers, again) while simultaneously shielding tax-avoiding multinationals (which will probably result in rising costs for consumers) is hilarious

Jintor

I... what?

That wanker Adam Baldwin got an invite and Supernova... I don't know. Ignored or dismissed or didn't acknowledge that Adam Baldwin is a huge jerkbag. Something like that.

I wasn't really paying attention because I've only been to Supernova once and I'm not in Australia anyway, so

Omikron

Yeah. When media types brought it to people's attention the social media crew at supernova got into asking things like "how many times they had attended " etc. Just really poorly handled overall tbh.

Quasar

Well. Episode 1 of Daredevil was alright. I had much more positive response to this than other Marvel shit. Especially liked this version of Foggy.

Guess my total burnout on superheroes might be getting a little better (after like 3 years). Or maybe its simply the street level/gritty nature of this.

I'm pretty much just watching superhero stuff ATM as it's the only action stuff I like watching these days.
I really liked Daredevil ep 1, but I'm not going to go nuts and watch the whole season this weekend, maybe and ep or two a day.

hamchan

Well. Episode 1 of Daredevil was alright. I had much more positive response to this than other Marvel shit. Especially liked this version of Foggy.

Guess my total burnout on superheroes might be getting a little better (after like 3 years). Or maybe its simply the street level/gritty nature of this.

Watched the first ep and highly enjoyed it. The movies and Agents of Shield are some real saccharine stuff. So glad the first street level Marvel show stayed true to its source material and remained fairly dark.

Omg later eps after the first up the violence even more.

Watched first ep of Daredevil.

It's great? That's unexpected.

I don't like Arrow/Flash, too cheesy and b-movieish. Whereas this is played pretty straight while still having snappy dialogue. Chemistry between the two leads is fantastic and everything is really well shot/framed/etc. Looks great. As someone who thought Avengers looked cheap as fuck I actually thought this looked really great.

Sound design is off the charts too. Watch with surround system/headset.

So yeah, I'll watch the rest of the season. Netflix are 2 from 2 for new series (Kimmy was great too).

2 episodes down of Daredevil for me and I'm loving it. Huge Daredevil fan and so far so good. Foggy is fantastic.

The action in the second episode if brilliant.

trinest

I didn't like it until later episodes, the first one turned me off almost. got halfway through last night, will watch the rest of the season today.

Kritz

Banned
every time I see a kickstarter run into trouble via the Gaming forum, it makes me so glad I never did a kickstarter. Also, the whole, I haven't worked on the game in a month thing. That also makes me glad I never asked for money. >_>

Kritz

Banned
yea yea I'll put a game out for sale one day. But sometimes you gotta have a month of wallowing in your own self pity. And trying to exercise, whatever that is.

I've almost finished all the necessary NPC AI behaviours, so once they're done I'm just going to work on getting the Steamworks stuff implemented.

Yeah. When media types brought it to people's attention the social media crew at supernova got into asking things like "how many times they had attended " etc. Just really poorly handled overall tbh.

I totally forgot about that. Oh man, that was just cringe worthy. Come on media team, be professional.

jambo

Hey Syth

R9DRkUpl.jpg

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
that episode 11 ending! OH LORD.

on to ep 12 now.

plan to finish it tonight, i figure i'll hear spoilers at supanova tomorrow.

edit: shaneus, you make the pinball finalls tomorrow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom