• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

If I have a decent lunch a banana and a snack bar is usually sufficient (though the snackbar probably won't fit into your plans)

Unfortunately I don't get hungry before around 10:30 so a full length breakfast on workdays tends to make me feel ill, so gotta save those for weekends

Shaneus

Yeah, LnE is good if you don't mind carbs, but if you're trying to cut down on those (or just eat less processed stuff in general) they're kinda shit. I haven't had anything from there for ages and I'm not really missing them.

Omikron

The problem I have with the pre-made meal programs and the like is that ultimately you learn nothing. You are given a set menu to follow, you follow it, but if you drop it, where does that leave you?

Fredescu

It gets you used to a certain level of intake. If you're like me and overeat and have portions that are way too big, sticking with one of those plans for a while helps you get used to eating the amount you should actually be eating. People are overweight for a whole lot of different reasons to that, so I don't know if it's useful to everyone, but it was useful for me.

senahorse

The problem I have with the pre-made meal programs and the like is that ultimately you learn nothing. You are given a set menu to follow, you follow it, but if you drop it, where does that leave you?

I think as Fred pointed out the most important (at least for me) takeaway from programs like LnE is portion control. Basically you shouldn't be eating until you are full, but more so, you are satisfied, the two are mutually exclusive, but when you first start eating considerably less they feel like they are one and the same :)

I never used to eat breakfast, now I can't go without it, need that morning energy burst. In fact it's generally the biggest meal of the day for me calorie wise.

edit: for example, here's yesterday food:

food_zps5uti9f1l.png~original

Thanks for the example, I need to organise my lunches better I think. I should probably run one of those meal trackers for a week or so and see how it lines up. Which diary is that?

I think I'll be hitting the juices pretty hard initially so I'm keen to see how fruit measures up.

senahorse

Thanks for the example, I need to organise my lunches better I think. I should probably run one of those meal trackers for a week or so and see how it lines up. Which diary is that?

I think I'll be hitting the juices pretty hard initially so I'm keen to see how fruit measures up.

That's myfitnesspal.com, free and has app support as well. It has a large database of foods and I don't think there was ever anything I couldn't find (at least in retail form). The database is mostly accurate but as a lot of it is user generated it pays to check some labels of your items vs what it says. What I found the best thing to do was, is start with a baseline, so eat normally and record it all for a week or so, you will soon get a good idea of what you're eating too much/too little of (e.g. I need to up my fibre intake). Their suggested values should only be used as a guideline and you can adjust them accordingly. You can also put in your weight and exercise etc which also can be tracked over time. I highly recommend it, if only to become more aware of what you're eating.

Omikron

It gets you used to a certain level of intake. If you're like me and overeat and have portions that are way too big, sticking with one of those plans for a while helps you get used to eating the amount you should actually be eating. People are overweight for a whole lot of different reasons to that, so I don't know if it's useful to everyone, but it was useful for me.

That I completely understand yeah. By and large, most people just eat too much.

What I found the best thing to do was, is start with a baseline, so eat normally and record it all for a week or so, you will soon get a good idea of what you're eating too much/too little of (e.g. I need to up my fibre intake).
Oooooooooo very good idea indeed, I'll punch in the last few days and see what it lines up as. Very handy. Only weird stuff we have are some of the Aldi things but I expect they'll be in there any way.

That I completely understand yeah. By and large, most people just eat too much.

Yep, I'm large :(

It comes with coffee. It is not only the most important - it is absolutely critical.

Fuck coffee. Up with tea!

OT: I was at a meeting this arvo and some arsehat served me English Breakfast when clearly they had a jar of Australian Afternoon right there on the counter! They were on blast all meeting after I realised that!

Irish Breakfast is nice tea. Twinings used to have beautiful blend called Simply Tea. That was my absolute favourite ever. Of course, it didn't sell enough so it didn't last long on the market. I do remember stocking up on that once it was clear supermarkets weren't getting new stock. I like Tea that actually smells nice when you open the storage container. None of this tasteless Lipton's shit.

T

Yeah I assumed Australian Afternoon tea wasn't going to sell well or be a limited time only thing so I grabbed a bunch before it became obvious it was doing well enough to be a staple tea for them. So good.

Congrats, dude. I've got to say the beard is getting impressive... because it's size is obscuring more of your stupid face.

Also, you really seemed to be bending over those tables quite a bit. Were they lower than the usual level or do I only have memories from playing pinball machines when I was very young and much shorter?

To say I'm happy with how it looks is underrated. Even better is that the girlfriend doesn't hate it! Woo!
Probably because it's covering more of your stupid face.

I actually did way better than last year as well (from third or fourth last to sixth)
Were there only 6 people in the tournament?

Dimefan3

what are you looking to study?

I have no direct experience of Evocca, I just know a fair few former colleagues who are tutors there.

I'm hoping to do the Digital Media Technologies one, at a bit of a crossroads at the moment with either continuing in Radio (A shrinking industry, if you've been following the news lately) or branching out the skills in the Digital/Video area.

The reviews I've read online have been mixed, however I think people are most likely to review something if they're pissed off about it, so I taking it all with a grain of salt...

...eek. Although to be honest ACA is the closest thing to Fox News in Australia. Still researching it though, so I won't write Evocca off just yet.

Shaneus

Also, you really seemed to be bending over those tables quite a bit. Were they lower than the usual level or do I only have memories from playing pinball machines when I was very young and much shorter?
Newer ones are (IMO) considerably shorter. At least for a tall bastard like me. Not sure how much by, but the difference in my posture when playing my newer (2004) one and my older (1984) one is decent.

Tactfully ignoring the rest of your post.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag

yeh that to me was the biggest reason.

I am piss poor at time management and am lazy.

so i eat when i can be bothered, or not at all or when ever.

lite n easy at least gives me the food .. i did seem to get a bit poor with it though.. and ended up not eating half the food.. then id eat what was left and blah blah :(

Yagharek

Fuck coffee. Up with tea!

OT: I was at a meeting this arvo and some arsehat served me English Breakfast when clearly they had a jar of Australian Afternoon right there on the counter! They were on blast all meeting after I realised that!

Infidel.

Get yourself an Aeropress.

Best coffee you can make at home/work without resorting to buying a machine.

I'm hoping to do the Digital Media Technologies one, at a bit of a crossroads at the moment with either continuing in Radio (A shrinking industry, if you've been following the news lately) or branching out the skills in the Digital/Video area.

The reviews I've read online have been mixed, however I think people are most likely to review something if they're pissed off about it, so I taking it all with a grain of salt...

...eek. Although to be honest ACA is the closest thing to Fox News in Australia. Still researching it though, so I won't write Evocca off just yet.

You can take "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" to extremes. A Current Affair saying something is bad doesn't automagically make it good.

According to my linkedin, I have about 15 former game developer colleagues who have worked there and about 6 who are still there as tutors. Of those six, two were quite good at what they did, one was okay and three were absolutely useless. I mean, you might as well slam your dick in the door, it would less painful and you would learn more about your chosen subject.

EDIT: oops- I found another one, a guy who worked casually as QA night shift games tester for six months passed himself off as "Software Support Analyst" and is now a Team Lead at Evocca. yeah, I want to learn from fraudsters.

If you want some form of meaningful qualification, TAFE or Uni. I'd question whether SAE, AIE, QANTM, etc are much better. You really can't beat a bachelor's degree for getting a foot in the door, especially once more and more employers in Australia move to those bullshit computerised HR systems (where the computers vet applications based on keywords before any *human might see it). Degrees also open more doors in other industries than a certificate in a particular thing. ie- if you ever want to get a job overseas, the degree helps in getting the visa, etc.

human for the purposes of this discussions mean a flesh and blood vampire working in Human Resources.

Yo. $58 gets you 12 months Netflix HD double streaming package, stackable, and 4 Optus locked mobile phones.

*mic drop*

If someone wants to take advantage of this and E-mail me the codes without me worrying about fucking around with the phones themselves I'll pay you for it. Say, 20 dollars per 3 month code? I'm assuming it works like this.

:p

Fuck I'm so lazy.

Ingram

Infidel.

Get yourself an Aeropress.

Best coffee you can make at home/work without resorting to buying a machine.

I don't post here often, but when I do it's to quote someone recommending the Aeropress. Top quality device and great to take to work or camping. Everyone will be envious!

Look into the metal disc filter so you don't have to bother with paper filters. You will get more oil from the beans that the paper filters would otherwise stop from getting to your cup.

Stackboy

MKX is good fun. Enough has changed in the mechanics for me to have to relearn quite a bit, which I am actually looking forward to putting the time into.

The story mode early on seems to give you some strange matchups, if you aren't familiar with the game yet, making it quite difficult. Or maybe I'm just too old and suck at games.

I get the feeling I will eventually put a lot of time into Takeda.

Got it for $69 at EB too, price matched from Target, with the Goro pre-order.

Shaneus

How much is an Aeropress? I don't drink coffee, but the girlfriend does and it might be a good pressie for her to have at my place (she already has a coffee machine).

CLEEK

How much is an Aeropress? I don't drink coffee, but the girlfriend does and it might be a good pressie for her to have at my place (she already has a coffee machine).

I bought mine a couple of years ago from South Melbourne market for $50, but you can get them on eBay for $10-15 cheaper.

It makes nice coffee, and I prefer it to stove top coffee, but it's not a patch on coffee from an espresso machine.

MoonGred

What would be a good bike for commuting, around the 700$ mark, preferably not a Reid bike, friends have had nothing but issues with them.

Darren870

What would be a good bike for commuting, around the 700$ mark, preferably not a Reid bike, friends have had nothing but issues with them.

I use a reid bike and commute daily with it. Never had an issue. I mean its not a fast road bike but gets me too and from work easily.

Was only like $250

MoonGred

This one comes in under budget, only $500k

4LRtINk.jpg

Damien Hirst "Butterfly" Trek Madone

I don't think I'm cool enough for this.

Darren, you haven't had any issues with the gears? This seems to be the main complaint which I've heard from co-workers and friends

MoonGred

Don't forget pegs for all those sick grinds I'll be doing.
I actually never put a card between my spokes, is the sound that good?

Shaneus

I wondered that too.

"utilized real butterfly wings that were placed onto the actual frame and rims of the bicycle."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterfly_Trek_Madone

Butterflies are expensive I guess?
That seems kind of morbid to me. "Hey let's pluck some butterfly wings and glue them on a bike!"

Jesus how does any bike at all cost this much.

Needs more spoke bead things.

mGW8xNFfwYhBk-eU4h5HQmw.jpg
"spoke bead things"? They're called Spokey Dokeys.

GOSH.

Kritz

Banned
The way I see it, you got a lot of choices when it comes to coffee.

The aeropress is unmatched in its ability to provide a single cup of great tasting coffee, with basically zero cleanup and in as little time as it takes you to boil some water and brew. Everyone should have an aeropress.

Having said that, buying any kind of decent french press will provide you with the ability to make much more coffee, and coffee with a much earthier taste. I don't use the french press nearly as often as the aeropress, but I feel it gives you greater control over the taste of your coffee.

Thirdly, and this is an odd choice, but I really enjoy pot brewed coffee. It's slow, and bulky, and the coffee doesn't taste nearly as good as either of the above options. But if you want to make a lot of coffee with as little effort as humanly possible, all you need to do is pour in a few cups of ground beans, fill it up with water, and wait five minutes for it to brew. You end up with a competent pot of coffee, which you can leave on the heating plate for a few hours, and come back to multiple times and still get a reasonable cup with no additional work.

Finally, you could get an espresso machine, although in my opinion, you're better off just buying a cappuccino from your nearest cafe. The quality difference between consumer grade espresso machines ($200-400) and commercial ($1000+) is incredibly noticeable, and in general I only use my cheapo espresso machine when I want to make a milk dessert (caramel lattes, or some kind of mocha abomination).

In summary, buy an aeropress for $60 or whatever and a burr grinder for $200 or so. You'll never look back.

I would say beans and then grinder are the two most important things. You can get a cheap Hario hand burr grinder off ebay for about $40 delivered. Check out beanbay on the coffee snobs forum for good beans. Problem is they come too fresh. Hard to wait when you receive them one day after roasting.

Cerity

just had two of my wisdom teeth taken out, so not keen on the anaesthetic wearing off. At least my dentist has prescribed me with some codeine based pain killers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom