• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deeku

oh yeah, right. i remember. you crazy kids!

um, so gilmore girls was mentioned here recently? maybe? anyway, it's totally legit!

MoonGred

Enough with all this girlmore girl talk, that show is forever tainted by the fact that it was aired on the Buffy timeslot during the off-season instead of replaying older episodes.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
UPDATE (LOCATION + TIME SET)

June 6th (Saturday) will be a official AusGAF meet-up in Sydney featuring me and Teresa and probably some extra friends of mine.

Time: 7:00 PM to 7:30 PM ish start.
Location: Friend in Hand Hotel, 58 Cowper Street, Glebe NSW 2037

Attendees (that are probably coming)

Me + Teresa
The Storyteller
Spotless Mind
wonzo
NOVAMOD

wonzo

Banned
Time: 7:00 PM to 7:30 PM ish start.
Location: Friend in Hand Hotel, 58 Cowper Street, Glebe NSW 2037
New and exciting entertainment every Wednesday night. It involves a bucket of hermit crabs, a sheet of numbered stickers and no end of thirsty and raucous punters. You’ll Love it. Sponsored by Carlton.

hardcore

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Who would go to HK and NOT eat food?

As much as I love Cantonese food, I find it weird saying that I appreciate being able to eat Popeyes chicken and a proper Burger King in Hong Kong. The BK in Taiwan is worth less than nothing.

Yagharek

Didn't Gilmore Girls have nothing actually going on in it except to get people to watch the ads during breaks? And then the sequel Lost came out.

MoonGred

Don't get me wrong it's still fairly cheap, but I remember paying 80$ for 8gb not to long ago, now it's up to 120$.
I guess the dollar could play a part of it but that's a big increase.

It's still nice outside though, it was 7 degrees when I left home, just stepped out to get a coffee and it's lovely in the sun.

The dollar went from AUD$1 = US$1.05 to AUD$1 = US$0.75. It's actually up to 78c again today. Rejoice!

Don't remind me, my outsourcing costs went up 30% in recent times.

Also this Aussie Vader from Star Wars Celebrations deserves his 15mins.

r1ujsuo4uovgbsrieub5.jpg

MoonGred

Vader's missing a southern cross

This will sound awful but I prefer not to mix and match my pc components just for the aesthetics.

Hey people. So I am once again down in Melbourne this weekend. Friday night to Monday.
I have a pretty full schedule so far but would be keen to see those that are keen again for beers on Sunday afternoon or night whatever suits you all best.
Also if anyone wants to grab coffee or do something Monday I will otherwise be wandering the city.

Let me know. All welcome etc.

As much as I love Cantonese food, I find it weird saying that I appreciate being able to eat Popeyes chicken and a proper Burger King in Hong Kong. The BK in Taiwan is worth less than nothing.

Somehow I never had that problem in Japan. I had Mcdonalds a couple of times but that was less for nostalgia and more because I wanted to try the pink sakura burger or the world cup burger or whatever the special deal was at the time. Only thing I really appreciated was fancy western bakeries.There is only so long one can live on crappy fake sweet bread.

MoonGred

Somehow I never had that problem in Japan. I had Mcdonalds a couple of times but that was less for nostalgia and more because I wanted to try the pink sakura burger or the world cup burger or whatever the special deal was at the time. Only thing I really appreciated was fancy western bakeries.There is only so long one can live on crappy fake sweet bread.

When you say Western bakeries do you mean European style?
I'm pretty disappointed in Australia's bread making skills, I'm not saying it's impossible to find a proper loaf of bread it's just so expensive.
Does anyone use a bread maker to make their own bread? I've been making my loafs by hand and have been tempted to buy a machine, but some people say it doesn't make it as good as a hand made one. That and the crust is ruined apparently.

Ah that must be why westerners are generally more overweight than eastern societies! All that damn carby bread :(

We have a bread maker. Makes goddamn delicious bread with fantastic crust. It's no different to doing it by hand, if you are out on measurements/time it will turn out less than ideal.

Fuck bread :(

MoonGred

Might pick one up next pay, nothing beats fresh bread it's so good.
How long does it roughly take to make bread? Also would it be safe to put in your ingredients, turn the machine on and leave for work while it does its thing?

Deeku

I've found that the longer I've been in HK, the less I want to eat Asian food. My sister thinks I'm an idiot for not taking advantage of my time here, but there's only so much bbq pork rice I can handle! Good thing there's just as much, if not more, non-asian food here! Just costs like twice as much...lol:/

shanshan310 said:
Only thing I really appreciated was fancy western bakeries.There is only so long one can live on crappy fake sweet bread.
Omg yessss tell me about it! Asian bakeries used to be a fun thing back in oz but now I can't stand them!

Might pick one up next pay, nothing beats fresh bread it's so good.
How long does it roughly take to make bread? Also would it be safe to put in your ingredients, turn the machine on and leave for work while it does its thing?

I'll ask the wife when I get home. She tends to use it for mixing/kneading as we mainly make focaccia rather than bread these days, takes like 20 minutes to half an hour I think to mix up ready for the oven.

MoonGred

I'll ask the wife when I get home. She tends to use it for mixing/kneading as we mainly make focaccia rather than bread these days, takes like 20 minutes to half an hour I think to mix up ready for the oven.

Crap I think we're talking about different things. I meant something like this http://www.breville.com.au/the-gourmet-baker-tm.html
Which does everything from mixing to baking.
My bad should've described it better.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.

I don't eat fast food for nostalgia. Hell, I worked in McDonalds for 3.5 years and ate the stuff every day. It's just that Taiwan's fried chicken game (while I appreciate jipai immensely) can be lacking sometimes. That and you generally have to experience the BK in Taiwan to know what I'm talking about. The burgers are smaller than McDonalds. In the last few years I've usually went to Hong Kong once or twice a year and have occasionally picked up a BK when arriving at the airport and a Popeyes (which is located past the security gates) before departing.

When I was in Japan I had that special edition 10-patty burger thing (from Lotteria IIRC). It was during the 2010 World Cup as well so I collected a bunch of McDonalds glasses to go with my stomach-lining double quarter pounder meal.

And the entity masquerading as "bread" in Taiwan is disgusting. Most of the stuff is covered in a glaze of sugar. A place I worked in was right above one of these bakeries, and when I got really hungry it was the sophie's choice of that or a 7Eleven sandwich. :/

Above and over anything else though, when I lived in Korea and Taiwan I generally preferred eating street food over anything else. Night markets in Taiwan are amazing.

Ah that must be why westerners are generally more overweight than eastern societies! All that damn carby bread :(

It's a very good hypothesis. But a byproduct of all that damn carby bread was beer and therefore a greater alcohol tolerance. So you Aussies should be grateful. :p

Jintor

Annoyingly enough the chinese food you can get in Japan is all Japanese-style Chinese food... i.e. ramen offshoots and chau fan. I had to get my parents to teach me to make siu yuk to get some decent crackling pork and char siu. I even went to Chinatown and all they were selling was goddamn Peking duck and xiaolongbao.

Even their char siu bao is off somehow :T

MoonGred

We currently only use the bread machine for mixing etc, the oven does a better job than the machine itself when it comes to baking.

Yea that's what I feared, I'd just get it for convenience sake, not that making bread takes so much effort, just a bit time consuming.

I just noticed a new bar opened across from work "Bartonica", a guy from work says they have some Super Nintendo and N64s set up. Have any of you been there? It's on Flinders lane in Melb.

senahorse

The Panasonic models (if you can find them) are generally highly regarded, for my next bread machine though I am going to get a Zojirushi, they seem to be the best in consumer land. Amazon do ship them but you need a stepdown converter.

Quasar

Well...HBO let me watch episode 2 of GoT.

And its off bookness continues to annoy me. Looked great though.

Really need to stop before I get book spoiled.

radaxian

PS4 drive upgrade question

I don't have a second spare external hard drive for backup purposes. I bought the common Seagate external 2TB drive as an upgrade and I'm hoping to do the following:

1. Format new drive (2TB) as exFAT
  2. Backup existing PS4 (500GB) to the new drive (2TB)
  3. Copy this backup (directory?) onto a PC temporarily
  4. Install new drive (2TB) into PS4, format and install v2.5 system firmware from USB thumbdrive etc
  5. Put old (500GB) drive into external enclosure and format as exFAT
  6. Copy backup (directory?) from PC onto 500GB drive
  7. Perform restore onto new drive in PS4
Has anyone tried this or know if this will work? Not sure if the full system backup can be copied between drives or not.

(I realise the downside is that I'm losing any chance of going back to the existing drive it something goes wrong but I don't care - just worried about avoid re-downloading huge games)

Edit: Someone on Reddit reckons I'm all good so here goes (after waiting 4 hours for initial backup...)

Jintor

CDAqC79UgAAHes4.png

actually it's about ethics guidelines established by a public broadcaster as made by real people doing real people things

Cerity

I was doing that no knead bread business before our oven died. Mix up the ingredients the night before, wake up, shape it, preheat the oven, do my morning poop, have coffee and throw it in as I'm leaving for the gym. It was be ready by the time I got back and the loaf would last me 2-3 days.

Also hit up vietnamese bakeries for cheap, good loaves.

MoonGred

I was doing that no knead bread business before our oven died. Mix up the ingredients the night before, wake up, shape it, preheat the oven, do my morning poop, have coffee and throw it in as I'm leaving for the gym. It was be ready by the time I got back and the loaf would last me 2-3 days.

Also hit up vietnamese bakeries for cheap, good loaves.

I'm way to paranoid to leave my oven on while I'm not home.

Howcome you all hate kneading dough so much, I easily find it the most enjoyable part, I just don't have the time for all the resting and baking during the week =(.

I'm way to paranoid to leave my oven on while I'm not home.

Howcome you all hate kneading dough so much, I easily find it the most enjoyable part, I just don't have the time for all the resting and baking during the week =(.

My dad has been using a bread machine for about 8-10 years now moon. He loves it, always does good bread and you can mix in stuff like if you want to make cinnamon loaf or nut loaf or something. So is versatile.
I believe he just has a lower end breville? Model.... Don't hold me to that though.
So if you spend a bit more I dunno if you get more function or quality etc.

As to your other part. He does set it to go in the morning and leave it going on the kitchen bench while he is at work.

Hope this helps.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Yea that's what I feared, I'd just get it for convenience sake, not that making bread takes so much effort, just a bit time consuming.

I just noticed a new bar opened across from work "Bartonica", a guy from work says they have some Super Nintendo and N64s set up. Have any of you been there? It's on Flinders lane in Melb.

Yeh I popped in there once. Older crowd than beta bar, but it was also pretty dead for a Friday night. Cool chillout spot if you just want to relaxin on a couch with some mates and play some Mario kart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom