• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man the new Blur album is so fucking fantastic. Like insanely good. So impressed.

I got bored with the first Avengers movie. Still need to finish it at some point. Whedon stuff just doesn't grip me any more.

The worst part is;

Australia, with a population of 22 million, pumped out 12k law graduates last year.

The United States, with a population of 320 million, pumped out 38k law graduates last year.

That's pretty scary

Deeku

Damn, didn't really know law grads had it so rough:/

Not entirely true. The correct answer for this question is:

a) that someone highlighted an issue, you took on feedback, the steps you took to correct your behaviour, how you monitored and maintained this new behaviour and and how this has combined with the rest of your awesome skills to make you much, much better.

-or-

b) you self evaluated a deficiency in your skills, the steps you took to correct your behaviour, how you monitored and maintained this new behaviour and and how this has combined with the rest of your awesome skills to make you much, much better.

Commonly used answers to avoid:

a) I am perfect and don't have any weaknesses!! [interviewer wraps up interview quickly, never contacts you ever again]

b) "I guess I [insert any type of weakness here, it doesn't matter how big or small]." interviewee ends answer here.

The important part of the answer is that a weakness in your skill set (as long as it isn't a major, major problem i.e. I steal stuff and stay back after work to take massive craps in the top drawer or my co-worker's desks) was noticed - usually by receiving feedback or noting an area of your work that could be improved - that you made a plan to bridge the gap of expectation and reality, set yourself reasonable goals, put quality checks in place, self-monitored/asked for feeback (or both) and how you changed and maintained your behaviour. Lastly you mention the positive impact (give specific quantitative details of improvement. If you have figures give figures e.g. Improved sales skills: Q1-$1000 -> Q2-$2500) that this has had on that particular area and how it combined with the rest of your skill to produce a better overall package.

Realistically, you use it as a stealth brag thread. You had a problem, you either noticed it yourself or took on feedback (it's a win, either way), you changed your behaviour, you can self-evaluate and monitor your own performance and improved yourself. You are now a better candidate that has also let their prospective employers know that they are interested in self-improvement, can take feedback and respond professionally to it and are willing to change behaviour for the benefit of the company.

That's how you answer that question.
Nice Jase, this is very helpful!

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I got bored with the first Avengers movie. Still need to finish it at some point. Whedon stuff just doesn't grip me any more.

Most comicbook movies are just enough to hold you tight for the first time you watch them. Upon repeat viewings the "zomg new movie!" feeling is gone and they fall apart completely once you see how formulaic and trite they actually are. Especially Marvel ones. When watching Guardians of the Galaxy at the cinema I found it hard to get over the fact it was a flowchart with pretty CGI.

Then again this "formulaic and trite" ethos is probably a meta deconstruction of the medium of comicbooks themselves and... why in the fuck am I still typing.

Jintor

Most comicbook movies are just enough to hold you tight for the first time you watch them. Upon repeat viewings the "zomg new movie!" feeling is gone and they fall apart completely once you see how formulaic and trite they actually are. Especially Marvel ones. When watching Guardians of the Galaxy at the cinema I found it hard to get over the fact it was a flowchart with pretty CGI.

Then again this "formulaic and trite" ethos is probably a meta deconstruction of the medium of comicbooks themselves and... why in the fuck am I still typing.

I loved Avengers first time I saw it. Watched it a second time with friends and luckily we were playing a drinking game.

It's not bad, and there's room in the world for films that rely on spectacle over substance, and they're pretty fun to see in cinemas. So nothing wrong with that I guess.

jambo

The Cap and Iron Man stuff on the airship in Avengers is pretty meh.

Cap is useless, pinned down by goons for ages and Iron Man is just jump starting an engine.

Fucks the pacing up.

The city fight is still fantastic though.

ryLOd4l.gif

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I would go to see Avengers with my girlfriend but unless there's subtitles (in Chinese or English) she has difficulties.

Not that her English is bad, but she still has an "input lag" of sorts when it comes to understanding conversations as they happen.

When in conversation she can ask someone to repeat something if she didn't understand. If watching a movie at home I can pause/rewind if she didn't get it.

Then again she went to see Interstellar without me (I've still not seen it), so it's fair game if I go see Avengers myself. :p

Quasar

Look at that, the power at my house has finally come back on. Thank you Ausgrid.

Really should invest in a generator for next time.

The only two movies I've seen where 3D actually improved the movie were Gravity and Prometheus.
Tron Legacy was great in 3D as well.

I enjoy 3D at the cinemas. I have a 3m screen at home, but I don't have 3D, so I feel like I'm getting something worthwhile if I see a big movie in 3D.

Quasar

Still a long time to be without power

Yeah. Enough to have all my portable devices dead, and it showed I really should own a eink reader or something as my ipad went down pretty quickly just reading.

And long enough that I had to go and fight for the remaining supplies of ice (to use to keep my meat cold in eskies) and that I really shown own a little battery powered radio so I can still get news in cases like this.

It also had me wondering what gaming systems that run on regular batteries are there.

Yeah. Enough to have all my portable devices dead, and it showed I really should own a eink reader or something as my ipad went down pretty quickly just reading.

And long enough that I had to go and fight for the remaining supplies of ice (to use to keep my meat cold in eskies) and that I really shown own a little battery powered radio so I can still get news in cases like this.

It also had me wondering what gaming systems that run on regular batteries are there.

Maybe grab yourself a MI or two for charging phone/tablet/Vita/etc. Love em.

hamchan

Probably a bad idea to marathon all the Marvel movies on various Netflix regions before I watch Avengers 2 tomorrow, but here I am doing it.

http://www.lawyersweekly.com.au/news/15576-Reality-check-for-law-graduates

'Lieu quoted recent figures, which show that out of 12,000 graduates only 700 (6%) were recruited by large law firms in the past year."
I read through the comments and was pleasantly surprised by the erudition, clarity and level headedness on display. It's like a bizarro YouTube.

But yes, that's a lot of grads for such a small industry. Even seven or eight years ago, I remember law grads having a rough time of it. It's a bit depressing to know that the situation has actually gotten worse.

I thought I was being smart at the time, having done engineering, but the market for that right now is as dead as I've ever seen it. It's possible that if I wanted to keep doing what I do, I'll have to find work overseas. It's definitely possible to do, but that's a much less welcome prospect now than it might have been when I was single and thirsty for adventure.

On an tangentially related note, has anyone here ever done any business in Japan? I want to approach a retailer for commercial purposes but I have no clue as to the etiquette involved in such a transaction, nor do I have the language skills to even make contact. I know some of you speak Japanese, so a little bit of help or pointers in the right direction would be very much appreciated.

Arksy

Age of Ultron is a pretty fucking epic movie. If you didn't like the first at all, I don't think this will be your cup of tea either, but if you did like the first one, this is its equal.

Fredescu

I don't suppose anybody has info on reputable Australian investment funds
What kind of info and what kind of investment? I'm no expert, but Vanguard have a good reputation and low fees. If it's a lump sum, buying one of their exchange traded funds might be what you want. Very low fees, but that's offset by the fact that you have to pay brokerage on each transaction because it's basically buying shares in a fund. If you want to constantly put small amounts in, like have some of your pay go into each month, one of their managed funds will work out cheaper. They have higher fees, but your buying it directly from them rather than through a broker.

Quasar

Age of Ultron is a pretty fucking epic movie. If you didn't like the first at all, I don't think this will be your cup of tea either, but if you did like the first one, this is its equal.

Not unexpected but good to know so I don't waste my money again.

senahorse

Asshole motorbike rider scratched car while lane filtering and just kept going, that's the third incident in 2 months, I think I am well overdue to get a dash cam :/

Stackboy

Anyone going for Avengers tonight?

Seeing it Friday night, 2D like a self respecting person.

And I have a special place in my heart - and lungs - for The Avengers. I put off going to the hospital with a pulmonary embolism to see it. If that shit had sucked and I died, I would have been so angry that I'd have bitched about it on GAF from beyond the grave.

Dude that is harcore!

Man the new Blur album is so fucking fantastic. Like insanely good. So impressed.

Need to give that a spin soon.

First Avengers was really good fun. If any Marvel film makes me walk out feeling like I've just been on a great rollercoaster ride then I am happy.

Rewatching Cap 2 tonight, my wife hasn't seen it and I feel like it builds up to Avengers 2 nicely.

Anyone getting Witcher 3 next month? I haven't played either of the first 2 but I am sucker for open world stuff.

New Destiny DLC sounds great too. I'm just excited that we will be able to trade ascendant energy for ascendant shards and vice versa. Plus all legendary and exotics can be upgraded to the top level and you can reroll gear stats. Good stuff!1

Jorav

Asshole motorbike rider scratched car while lane filtering and just kept going, that's the third incident in 2 months, I think I am well overdue to get a dash cam :/

Dooo it. Here's a couple of recent ones plus an accident i was in. Car is only 6 months old :/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pOsJ0JolOc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB0cQ0HTOvY

I'm running this camera http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Car-Black-Box-PANORAMAII-S-dashcam-Full-HD-Sony-IMX322-Sensor-LCD-No-SD-card-/181249487120?roken=G0RXXB

Just saw the HMS Canberra on the way to work. It's got this big fuckoff ski ramp on the front of it for launching aircraft and I was trying to think what in god's name we were going to use that for. Then I looked it up and apparently we're not planning to use it for anything, just operate helicopters off the thing.

Wow. Thanks Obama.

What kind of info and what kind of investment? I'm no expert, but Vanguard have a good reputation and low fees. If it's a lump sum, buying one of their exchange traded funds might be what you want. Very low fees, but that's offset by the fact that you have to pay brokerage on each transaction because it's basically buying shares in a fund. If you want to constantly put small amounts in, like have some of your pay go into each month, one of their managed funds will work out cheaper. They have higher fees, but your buying it directly from them rather than through a broker.

I was looking into Vanguard but that wasn't based on any recommendations. It just showed up first on a google search for index funds, lolz.

I don't have the money to invest quite yet, which irritates me because I wanted to get into one of those US funds last year (which according to hind-sight, would have netted me a 20%+ return by now). Hopefully within a few months...

Vormund

I picked up one by Uniden at Officeworks for $169. It has two cameras and they can be rotated. I gave it to my wife for her car and she was like "why?" which is funny since she has told me of a few near misses due to dickheads cutting her off etc.

Darren870

I was looking into Vanguard but that wasn't based on any recommendations. It just showed up first on a google search for index funds, lolz.

I don't have the money to invest quite yet, which irritates me because I wanted to get into one of those US funds last year (which according to hind-sight, would have netted me a 20%+ return by now). Hopefully within a few months...

I don't think Vanguard Operates here anymore? Least they didn't when I looked at opening an account here. Of course you can buy their funds on the market but I don't think you can open accounts with them anymore.

Also, you need to make sure you are buying funds/etfs that are on the ASX or within the Australian market. If you start buying funds on other markets you have to pay local tax and home tax. You can buy local Funds that are based off US markets of course.

Just something to be aware about. Even if you have a few thousand its best to put it in now and then keep adding some money every week or two. Especially with interest rates being low and savings accounts not giving you much return.

What other questions did you have?

You can post in the retirement thread too. I post in there a lot. Mostly because I have retirement accounts in the US, UK and AUS and enjoy the convo between the guys there.

I don't think Vanguard Operates here anymore? Least they didn't when I looked at opening an account here. Of course you can buy their funds on the market but I don't think you can open accounts with them anymore.

Also, you need to make sure you are buying funds/etfs that are on the ASX or within the Australian market. If you start buying funds on other markets you have to pay local tax and home tax. You can buy local Funds that are based off US markets of course.

Just something to be aware about. Even if you have a few thousand its best to put it in now and then keep adding some money every week or two. Especially with interest rates being low and savings accounts not giving you much return.

What other questions did you have?

You can post in the retirement thread too. I post in there a lot. Mostly because I have retirement accounts in the US, UK and AUS and enjoy the convo between the guys there.

I literally don't have enough to qualify for the 5000 minimum on a lot of these funds currently. I had over 13k saved up as of Feb but family things came up and long story short, I am 12.5k down thanks to lending the family money. I might get some thousands back in a month or two. I doubt I'll get it all back inside of a year, or at all.

So I'm probably not going to be actually investing until closer to the end of the year, unless I get 5k back or so.

Who do you recommend, anyway? I don't think I have the balls to try and beat the market myself, so more diversified funds are more attractive. But I'm young and I can risk some high growth stuff for a few years.

Yagharek

The Cap and Iron Man stuff on the airship in Avengers is pretty meh.

Cap is useless, pinned down by goons for ages and Iron Man is just jump starting an engine.

Fucks the pacing up.

The city fight is still fantastic though.

ryLOd4l.gif

Wind Waker style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom