• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Visa: canceled.

(Burleigh Brewing shouldn't be far from you, go visit them one Friday?

I wish I knew about this sooner.

I'll be heading up north (Sunshine Coast and beyond) from Monday.

If my one-year plan in Australia is uninterrupted however, I'll be back in Gold Coast for around Christmas. I'll definitely do it then.

Kito

Aussie uni students: I'm looking for a vacancy in a flatshare from late June. Hoping to bartend or wait in Sydney over summer with a WHV. Do you think I'll be able to access advertisement boards in a Sydney uni when I'm there? Also, is there a popular Australian student forum?

I tried some Aussie beer a few weeks ago.

Obviously I've had Fosters in the past, and last year I tried some of that Castlemaine summer stuff as it was sold in Taiwan for the World Cup. But VB was new to me. Fairly good, but it made me miss Taiwan and Taiwan Gold Medal Beer. Especially since a 660ml bottle of that only costs AU$2.30 - and can be bought from any convenience store at any time 24/7.

VB is the working class beer. Try Carlton Draught, it's the white collar beer.
Any of the other Aussie beers will be better though. I still think my favourite is Coopers Pale Ale.

EDIT: Great to see pirates are already playing Act 2 of Broken Age yet here we are waiting for them to patch it in next week >_<

MoonGred

Hey hey hey VB, isn't all that bad. I don't get the guys at work who refuse to drink it.
Whatever you do stay well clear of that fake Stella that is brewed in New Zealand, it's the fucking worst.
All in all Australia has some really nice beers, you might have to fork over some more cash though.

I recommend every to at least buy one bottle of "Duvel" at your local Dan Murphy's, it's really expensive compared to back home,
a six pack is the same price as 1 bottle here
but so worth it.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
VB is the working class beer. Try Carlton Draught, it's the white collar beer.
Any of the other Aussie beers will be better though. I still think my favourite is Coopers Pale Ale.

EDIT: Great to see pirates are already playing Act 2 of Broken Age yet here we are waiting for them to patch it in next week >_<

Yisss adelaide represent

I still find it weird going into a pub in melb and asking for pale ale and they ask what type.

Also, happy anzac day.

Anyone doing much? Parades? Dawn services?

I'm off to the mcg for the anzac day match. 10th year in a row I've gone

MoonGred

I still find it weird going to a bar and having to explain what beer/size you want.

What happened to "just a beer please". I don't need to option of bottle, full strength, light,stubby, pot, pint, VB, Carlton, etc. Just give me whatever is on tap.

I wish I knew about this sooner.

I'll be heading up north (Sunshine Coast and beyond) from Monday.
Bine Beer Bar in your area is also supposed to be alright. Selection looks good.

Little Creatures.
That they've managed to keep their product consistent after the Lion Nathan buyout is pretty impressive.

In WA you should be looking out for Nail and Feral, both the best in the state IMO.

Hey hey hey VB, isn't all that bad. I don't get the guys at work who refuse to drink it.
Whatever you do stay well clear of that fake Stella that is brewed in New Zealand, it's the fucking worst.

Yeah always check to make sure it's the UK brew. Our Woolworths always gets the imported one, same with the Dan Murphy's for a while now. At one point Dan's even had them separated lol.

WHY IS SKYPE SUCH A PIECE OF SHIT

FOCUS STEALING FROM FULL SCREEN APPLICATIONS WHEN YOU CLICK THE SAME PART OF THE SCREEN THAT THE SKYPE MESSAGE ALERT WOULD BE COMING UP IF YOU WERE ON DESKTOP

BUT I'M NOT ON DESKTOP I'M IN A FUCKING GAME SO OBVIOUSLY I DONT WANT TO ALT TAB TO IT OR I WOULD ACTUALLY ALT TAB TO IT

> Tiger ace is wounded, retreating
> Riflemen are about to launch AT grenades to snare it
> Skype message comes through, clicking the AT grenade button causes alt tab to desktop
> Lose game solely because of this

Bernbaum

finished main story in gtav. guess i'll tool around for a while. kinda of disjointed and inconsistent really, at least in terms of storytelling. still don't know how i feel about it other than my memories of vice city are still stronger.

Is it a lengthy story? It feels like I've played it for only an hour or two but I'm at 7% completion, which sounds like a big chunk. I've played GTAIII and IV to completion, and have a feel for how the story mode plays out, but is it possible to 'miss' missions in GTAV? It's made a little more complex by balancing multiple characters, each with unique missions.

I held out on the console versions and am playing on my 2013 laptop with a 670M GTX and it runs AMAZING. The visuals are nice and all, but so far the real star of the show is just how nice it is to drive a vehicle and not fight the steering wheel like in GTAIV.

wonzo

Banned
woolies homebrand mi goreng noodles are pretty dope and work out cheaper than a box from the local asian grocer #freshinourmemories

Jintor

I clocked about 38 hours not mainlining and occasionally tooling around. I bet you could do it in 20 or 25 or something.

Doesn't seem possible to miss missions

I actually really like the way it transitions into missions nowadays, you just approach a location and the game kind of takes camera control for a half second and woah you're in a natural-seeming cutscene without having to 'walk into a door' or whatever (necessarily).

Bernbaum

I clocked about 38 hours not mainlining and occasionally tooling around. I bet you could do it in 20 or 25 or something.

Doesn't seem possible to miss missions

I actually really like the way it transitions into missions nowadays, you just approach a location and the game kind of takes camera control for a half second and woah you're in a natural-seeming cutscene without having to 'walk into a door' or whatever (necessarily).
Yeah it's a nice touch.

It's fucking surreal going to places in Los Santos similar to LA. The roads accessing the airport are bang-on with LAX. Even subtle placement of environmental sprites around Rockstar's Santa Monica are eerily reminiscent of the real thing.

Doubled dipped on GTA V today. Now I have to wait for the 60 gig download before I can play again. I finished about 80% on the 360 and look forward to getting more into the Online on PC.

Yeah there's only two kinds of people in the world, gaming buddies and your mother. There could be no possible useful applications of Skype.

Misread, thought you were using it for ingame voice chat. Obviously the useful application of Skype is tormenting people worldwide with high resolution video of my face.

industrian

Is it a lengthy story?

After the grind that was GTA4, I'd be good with a more compact story narrative.

GTA4 didn't just overstay its welcome, it had the locks on your house changed while you were out at work.

I've not played GTA5 yet. I was waiting for the PC version. And now I'm waiting for a PC to justify buying the PC version.

Yeah it's a nice touch.

It's fucking surreal going to places in Los Santos similar to LA. The roads accessing the airport are bang-on with LAX. Even subtle placement of environmental sprites around Rockstar's Santa Monica are eerily reminiscent of the real thing.

When GTAV first came out on last gen, I was staying in LA here.

When I finally got to play the game a few weeks later, I found my hotel in the game

it's definitely a very long single player experience but it was the best by far (with a lot less janky filler than before) though if you just want to dick around, I guess it's not as good as the older ones.

While it was my personal favourite GTA, double dipping is not something I'm all that interested in doing.

Jintor

Yeah it's a nice touch.

Yeah, I got weirded out when I got to the airport ring and ended up on the one corner I actually know of LA, the sidewalk between International and Domestic terminals (or something, since I was going to Canada, but effectively the same thing).

Like... it was pretty much the exact same place.

Gazunta

God, I miss The Georgian.

I mean, besides the abysmal wifi, the slow room service, the hordes of homeless people and the elevator that features as a Saw movie location, it was a fucking awesome place.

Bernbaum

it's definitely a very long single player experience but it was the best by far (with a lot less janky filler than before) though if you just want to dick around, I guess it's not as good as the older ones.

My sentiments exactly. With GTAIV, I would spend hours just running over pedestrians and motorcyclists. In GTAV, doing that stuff just isn't that fun. As far as I can see, there isn't any 'find the 1,000,000' pigeons or equivalent. From what I've played, it seems as if Rockstar went in an even more 'realistic' direction with this, but it doesn't feel weaker for it. Maybe they accepted that Saints Row exists and then went in the other direction.

Not as sandboxy but the missions are great and the world is fantastically realised.

Rep - I've watched most western conference playoffs games thus far. Clips-Spurs in round 1 is just ridiculously early! It feels like a finals series.

I tried some Aussie beer a few weeks ago.

Obviously I've had Fosters in the past, and last year I tried some of that Castlemaine summer stuff as it was sold in Taiwan for the World Cup. But VB was new to me. Fairly good, but it made me miss Taiwan and Taiwan Gold Medal Beer. Especially since a 660ml bottle of that only costs AU$2.30 - and can be bought from any convenience store at any time 24/7.

beer.jpg

Saw this on Ozbargain- EB games has these for $57

Super Mario 3D World
New Super Mario Bros. U
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
LEGO City: Undercover
LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham
The Wonderful 101

Go go go Lego City!

God, I miss The Georgian.

I mean, besides the abysmal wifi, the slow room service, the hordes of homeless people and the elevator that features as a Saw movie location, it was a fucking awesome place.

It was exactly the same in 2013 as it was in 2003!

Rep - I've watched most western conference playoffs games thus far. Clips-Spurs in round 1 is just ridiculously early! It feels like a finals series.
Every series is going to be insanely good. Next up the Rockets then Warriors in conf final I expect. Fuck I love NBA.

That series will be the first I watch in the East. The rest of the conference is junk.
When was the last time it wasn't :/

MoonGred

I'm getting the vibe that nobody really has any faith in Atlanta, regardless of their performance during the regular season.
With some luck I can see the Bulls beating Cavs and making the playoff finals.
Why oh why did Rose have to get injured again.

Warriors v Rockets with most likely warriors winning is my pick for the West as well.
Such a shame that Durant was our for the majority of the season,they would've been able to shake everything up a bit.

Bernbaum

Warriors v Rockets with most likely warriors winning is my pick for the West as well.
Such a shame that Durant was our for the majority of the season,they would've been able to shake everything up a bit.
I really wanna say Spurs v GSW for the West, but Pop's crew have a tough road there. Rockets likely to be better rested when they face the Spurs and might have the edge on the more experienced champs. Pop is hacking Jordan in the first round so I'm really not looking forward to more of that tactic against Dwight for another series.

Been playing a lot of MK8 on the WiiU. Apart from the nice but forgettable Nintendo Land, MK8 is the only game I play on the system. Off-screen play whilst putting the NBA on the telly is such a treat.

industrian

I've got a 750ml bottle of XXXX Gold on the go right now, with a VB and Carlton Draught in the fridge.

At this rate I'll be calling my girlfriend Shazza in no time.

industrian

I should've warned you about xxxx

At this point I'd consider XXXX Gold better than VB or Carlton Draught.

I only miss living in Europe when it comes to beer. Duvel, Piraat, Hertog Jan, Chimay, La Chouffe, Warsteiner, Jupiler, Viru, Baltika... you're spoiled for choice when it comes to beer. I would even rank Tennents above these Aussie beers - and if that's not a declaration of war I don't know what is.

MoonGred

At this point I'd consider XXXX Gold better than VB or Carlton Draught.

I only miss living in Europe when it comes to beer. Duvel, Piraat, Hertog Jan, Chimay, La Chouffe, Warsteiner, Jupiler, Viru, Baltika... you're spoiled for choice when it comes to beer. I would even rank Tennents above these Aussie beers - and if that's not a declaration of war I don't know what is.

I am at a loss for words, I have never met a non Belgian person who loves Jupiler.
Best everyday beer right there.

industrian

I am at a loss for words, I have never met a non Belgian person who loves Jupiler.
Best everyday beer right there.

I drank a lot of it when I was in the Netherlands, and I always buy some from the internet when I'm back home in Scotland. It's not the best beer in the world, but it goes a long way.

My "best everday beer" is Grolsch. That first taste was the best thing after an 8-hour shift. Then they put up the price. :/ It used to be at a decent pricepoint in Scotland.

Dryk

Maybe this is just a South Australian perspective but most people I know would just start laughing at you if you thought any of those beers were any good. They're still the most popular though so what the fuck do we know I guess.

industrian

My favourite beer in the world is Duvel. My least favourite is Miller.

Everything else is in that sizeable middle ground.

But beer is beer. I'm not going to turn it down.

MoonGred

XXXX, VB and Carlton. All beer tastes like dirt to me though so I'm just weighing in on the basis of my peers :p

Haha fair enough, I'm the same with wine, red tastes like red and white like white regardless of the price.

I was so tempted to buy a slab of duvel the other day when it was "on special" for 115$.
I still don't understand the insane price hike, is it due to the high alcohol amount that it would get taxed a lot higher than let's say hoegaarden?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom