• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Top Open-world games (if we exclude Legend of Zelda, Deus Ex, Elder Scrolls and Fallout games and stick with the Open World = sandbox gameplay)

Loved
Red Faction Guerrilla
The Saboteur
Far Cry 4
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
Crackdown
GTAV
AC II/Brotherhood/IV Black Flag/ Unity
Lego City Undercover
Borderlands 1, 2 and TPS
Rage
Sunset Overdrive
Infamous 1, 2, First Light
Burnout Paradise
Forza Horizon 2
Arkham City

Ones I don't think much of (that I have finished)
GTA III, VC, SA, IV
True Crime: Streets of LA
LA Noire
Red Dead Redemption
Crysis
Sleeping Dogs
Infamous Second Son.

Meh

MGS Ground Zeroes
Jak II, Jak III
Watch Dogs
AC1/ III
Shadow of Mordor
Simpsons Hit and Repeat Everything
Just Cause 1-2
Saints Row 1-3
The Godfather
Far Cry 1, Far Cry Instinct, Far Cry 2

Why the list? because years ago, I thought I hated the genre. Then I count how many I have played and enjoyed. It's not all, but many.
There are still too many releases which iterate on a formula. Its weird because I enjoy most of he assassin's creed game since II but III was terrible. Ones I should like, like Just Cause 2, I didn't love compared to RF:G or Saboteur. I recently double dipped and replayed RFG on PC, still so much fun (on casual). I think that's the only one I ever replayed. Sounds like I'd probably like Prototype 2 or Mercenaries.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Blood Dragon is a buggy mess of a "oh hai we so cool lawl 80s omfg!11!" spectacle that I didn't give two fucks about once I took control of the first base.

Rezbit

I'm replaying through Red Dead Redemption at the moment and enjoying it. Is it weird to say I kinda like that it's a lot more slow paced? So many of those open world games are really bombastic (which can be thrilling) but RDR is a nice change of pace. It's really easy, and the dead eye system is pretty fun.

I'm replaying through Red Dead Redemption at the moment and enjoying it. Is it weird to say I kinda like that it's a lot more slow paced? So many of those open world games are really bombastic (which can be thrilling) but RDR is a nice change of pace. It's really easy, and the dead eye system is pretty fun.

I'm so fucking jealous. I got rid of my copy and have had wanted to play it again for about a year now. Almost picked it up again second hand but double dipped on GTA V instead. RDR will be coming to PC though right? Guys? RDR is my favourite GTA.

I'm up in Caloundra now. Seems like a nice place. My girlfriend and I will be here for a week to decide our next move.

I remember one of you guys mentioning Yatala Pies, and I forgot all about it - only to be reminded when we were driving past the "Yatala Pie Shop" sign on the highway. But, alas, it was too late. ;_;

You are late - Yatala pies have been disappointing for years now.

Sure they aren't as good as they used to be, but they are still decent.

Guys I really want to get into Dark Souls but I can't :( its the sort of hard game I usually like but I can't get past the first area in Dark Souls 2. I best the first boss in Dark Souls 1 (not the tutorial one) and decided after reading some reviews that Dark Souls 2s more linear nature would appeal to me more so I got the Scholar edition. What are some tips you guys might have? Is being stuck for an hour on the first 6 enemies normal?

Abuse your invisibility frames when dodging, block, don't rush your attacks. Summon help if you can. Grind some souls and level up your health if you are stuck. I haven't played DSII though.

Stackboy

I still get a huge kick out of open world games. GTAV, Crackdown, Just Cause 2 are all right up there for me. I love having a big playground to blow things up in and experiment. They just don't get old for me.

Anyone see that new Arkham Knight trailer? Looks like you can switch to Catwoman, Robin and Nightwing, like you can in GTAV. Totally into that!

Dryk

Far Cry and Crysis weren't open world...

Also out of the games on your list Clive I've played

Red Faction Guerilla
Far Cry
Crysis
LA Noire

Then I've played Bully and a few others I've played that are arguably sandbox games but it's hard to define so I'm not even going to bother

Far Cry and Crysis weren't open world...

Also out of the games on your list Clive I've played

Red Faction Guerilla
Far Cry
Crysis
LA Noire

Then I've played Bully and a few others I've played that are arguably sandbox games but it's hard to define so I'm not even going to bother

It's so long ago I played FC. Crysis- yeah- that's a stretch thinking about it (its open compared to Corrydor 2 and 3. I use open world as shorthand for GTA-style action game, usually third person.

jambo

Crysis is basically a bunch of mini open worlds connected together.

I was pretty disappointed by how restricted some parts of Crysis 2 and 3 were.

My real hope was that Crysis 2 or 3 would be a proper fully open world game, but Crytek decided to go the opposite route.

jambo

Yeah, pretty much.

Just look at the MP, Crysis and Warhead had some really cool ideas, and then 2 and 3 just went full on CoD for the MP.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Found out my exam timetable... looks like my stay in Sydney is going be extended till the 13th of June. I love how everything appears to be coming to together!

Jintor

I tried it years after it was released. I love the concept but actually playing it was a real pain in the ass.

One of those 'make Bully 2 and I'll buy the shit out of it' cases

I got through to about... I don't know, Winter or so.

jambo

All I really want is a pc port of red dead redemption, that in 4k would be gorgeous.

Doubtful that will ever happen, apparently the game was being held together by hopes and dreams and porting it would require a massive amount of time and money.

Hopefully we get RD3 though.

MoonGred

I didn't know about that first part, always figured it had a somewhat normal development cycle.
But yea I gave up hope for it a long time ago.

The sales of GTA V should be a decent indicator to r* that they definitely have a pc market right?

Jintor

Its okay. The music gets very grating. Gameplay and traversing the world in general is okay. Classes are okay. Story is okay.

Its okay.

Ah I remember when I played there was this horrendous bug where the music volume was uncontrollably far louder than everything else in the game

this incredibly painful bass kick every few minutes

ugh

Dryk

Crysis is basically a bunch of mini open worlds connected together.

I was pretty disappointed by how restricted some parts of Crysis 2 and 3 were.
Far Cry and Crysis were pretty much the same in that regard. There were huge open areas you could explore, but at the end of the day there was one objective in the middle you were supposed to go to and not much else going on. It's still really refreshing to have that kind of freedom though.

Far Cry will be memorable to me for a long time though since I managed to knock someone off a rope bridge just under a kilometre away with a sniper rifle at one point.

My real hope was that Crysis 2 or 3 would be a proper fully open world game, but Crytek decided to go the opposite route.
And then they made Ryse!

jambo

Far Cry will be memorable to me for a long time though since I managed to knock someone off a rope bridge just under a kilometre away with a sniper rifle at one point.

I must have played that demo about 100 times.

I loved sneaking past a bunch of the mercs so that when you got to the fortress you could snipe guys that were right on the edge of your range.

Dryk

The second most memorable thing about Far Cry is having to install a fan patch to get through this part because as far as the AI is concerned it's an open field.
GTsnjmY.jpg

Yagharek

Far Cry was horrible in my experience (Xbox and Wii console ports). Dumb AI, shit aiming, bad weapons, and just plain boring to play.

hamchan

Far Cry Vengeance on Wii might be one of the worst games i've ever played.

Don't judge the PC version on it lol.

Thinking about it I've never actually finished Far Cry 1 or 2 or any Crysis game.

jambo

Far Cry Instincts (Xbox) and Far Cry Vengeance (Wii) were vastly different from the PC version of Far Cry, not just straight ports.

The second most memorable thing about Far Cry is having to install a fan patch to get through this part because as far as the AI is concerned it's an open field.
GTsnjmY.jpg

If I'm remembering that part correctly, isn't there a tower on a hill to the right of the base as you approach it?

If there is I think I always went that way, up to the tower and then sniped everyone.

Don't remember having any issues like the above that ruined the game.

industrian

Far Cry and Crysis were pretty much the same in that regard. There were huge open areas you could explore, but at the end of the day there was one objective in the middle you were supposed to go to and not much else going on. It's still really refreshing to have that kind of freedom though.

Far Cry and Crysis 1 are technical marvels in both their scope and level of detail. No corridors, no bullshit. Do things how you want to do things. The vehicles, weapons, AI and everything else was near-perfect too.

I remember the gaming media being ZOMG about "teh l33t grafix" in Doom 3 and Half-Life 2, and then Far Cry came along and destroyed them before they were released.

GTsnjmY.jpg

I remember installing the patch to give HDR/Bloom lighting and finding out it gave infinite ammo.

Far Cry was horrible in my experience (Xbox and Wii console ports). Dumb AI, shit aiming, bad weapons, and just plain boring to play.

From what I remember, none of the Xbox/360/Wii Far Cry games were ports of the PC version.

jambo

From what I remember, none of the Xbox/360/Wii Far Cry games were ports of the PC version.

The Xbox one came out first and was a remake, as the console didn't have enough memory to handle the large open levels, so it's a lot more linear and normal. Plus it looked like ass compared to PC.

The Wii version was a port of the Xbox version, but with some extra levels and even more horrible looking graphics.

It also came out on 360 as Far Cry Instincts: Predator and was a 720P/1080i port of Xbox version.

Interestingly, there was a free, but in-game ad-supported version of Far Cry on FilePlanet for a while back in 2007.

Dryk

Don't remember having any issues like the above that ruined the game.
Basically that's one of the worst parts of the game for the AI's quirks for two reasons:

1) The AI can see through those tents and you can't
2) Both you and the AI can shoot through the tent walls

At the time, for me, trying to get through that part was an exercise in frustration and failure. Once I patched it so the AI couldn't see through the walls it was fine.

MoonGred

I was loving far cry on pc up until they introduced those aliens/monsters. The game was gorgeous, I remember being amazed by the water, and my mind was blown by the the vegetation. For some reason the game looks exactly like crysis in my head, which definitely isn't the case by looking at the screenshots.

Crysis gets sold short a lot, the first one was thoroughly enjoyable as an open world game.
They're completely different games but it doesn't have that same repetitive factor that shadow of mordor had. I could really tailor each engagement in Crysis to my own liking, whereas with mordor everything felt exactly the same.
Also I'm over batman combat, it's been done too much and has trivialised a lot of the combat the same way AC has.

jambo

I had the same issue with both Far Cry and Crysis, the big change in gameplay halfway through was a bit off putting.

It's not that I don't like changes in gameplay, it's just that the monster/alien fights were pretty average compared to the first halves of both games.

I actually really enjoyed floating around in the alien ship in Crysis though, was a pretty cool moment the first time I played.

industrian

I remember that level when the trigens are first introduced.

In my first playthrough I was able to literally run through the middle of the map and finish the level without even seeing any of them.

Dryk

I tend to give the backend and ending of Crysis a pass because they're interesting thematically. There's no real victory, you survive a retreat and live to die another day, that's it. Also the game spends its first half building you up as this invincible killing machine before gleefully informing you that you ain't shit.

jambo

I tend to give the backend and ending of Crysis a pass because they're interesting thematically. There's no real victory, you survive a retreat and live to die another day, that's it. Also the game spends its first half building you up as this invincible killing machine before gleefully informing you that you ain't shit.

Crysis was definitely a lot better at it than Far Cry.

Kinda sucks how the great ending to the first Crysis was mainly pissed away by 2 and 3.

industrian

I remember an interview with Crytek in a 2006 issue of Edge saying that the final part of Crysis would involve the USA forces teaming up with the North Koreans to defeat the aliens.

This was, of course, before they got the deal with EA. So of course they needed to leave an open for a sequel/franchise.

I'm still slightly bitter about this. Because the end sequence of Crysis was complete and utter shit that had no bearing whatsoever on the direction of the sequel.

Yagharek

Far Cry Vengeance on Wii might be one of the worst games i've ever played.

Don't judge the PC version on it lol.

Thinking about it I've never actually finished Far Cry 1 or 2 or any Crysis game.

I think I played or saw it played on PC but I'm not sure. I've never been a PC gamer. But the console versions were not fun at all for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom