• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

quabba

Guys I really want to get into Dark Souls but I can't :( its the sort of hard game I usually like but I can't get past the first area in Dark Souls 2. I best the first boss in Dark Souls 1 (not the tutorial one) and decided after reading some reviews that Dark Souls 2s more linear nature would appeal to me more so I got the Scholar edition. What are some tips you guys might have? Is being stuck for an hour on the first 6 enemies normal?

From what I remember at the start of dark souls 2 you can wander into some guys that will destroy you so make sure your not wandering into the wrong direction.

Anyone here have an ABN? The website says I need to have generated revenue first, but I just wanted to get my ducks in a row before I do things like buy from suppliers or try to register a .au domain name etc.

One guy I contacted for wholesale prices of stock asked for my company profile and I'm trying to work out a way to buy from him without having to admit that my "company" is just me tooling around in my study and garage.

Also, are there any Australian sites that provide the same kind of service SquareSpace do? I really like their designs and the fact that they have e-commerce stuff integrated, but I worry that they won't play nice with AUD or with Australian banks.

Help?

Anyone here have an ABN? The website says I need to have generated revenue first, but I just wanted to get my ducks in a row before I do things like buy from suppliers or try to register a .au domain name etc.

One guy I contacted for wholesale prices of stock asked for my company profile and I'm trying to work out a way to buy from him without having to admit that my "company" is just me tooling around in my study and garage.

Also, are there any Australian sites that provide the same kind of service SquareSpace do? I really like their designs and the fact that they have e-commerce stuff integrated, but I worry that they won't play nice with AUD or with Australian banks.

Help?

I dunno about having to have generated revenue first, but I needed one when I started doing freelance stuff. Just tick yes and carry on if you can.

Just investigate how US-based services handle tax on your earnings. Some will be fine, others will expect you to get US tax forms otherwise they withhold 30% of your earnings. There's a tax treaty that gets that down to 5%. Even worse is trying to get an ITIN number.

Guys I really want to get into Dark Souls but I can't :( its the sort of hard game I usually like but I can't get past the first area in Dark Souls 2. I best the first boss in Dark Souls 1 (not the tutorial one) and decided after reading some reviews that Dark Souls 2s more linear nature would appeal to me more so I got the Scholar edition. What are some tips you guys might have? Is being stuck for an hour on the first 6 enemies normal?

Lean on a guide, heavily, if you're having issues. People have torn those games apart and know them inside and out, and the game doesn't really do you any favours in terms of explaining itself.

I banged my head up against Dark Souls for a good few hours before falling in love. Those first hours are rough, and indeed it is pretty normal to get killed by standard enemies when you are starting out. Patience is the key. Bait them one at a time, learn their attacks.

It's also very possible you are in an area you are underleveled for. Just have a peak at a guide and see.

I dunno about having to generated revenue first, but I needed one when I started doing freelance stuff. Just tick yes and carry on if you can.

Just investigate how US-based services handle tax on your earnings. Some will be fine, others will expect you to get US tax forms otherwise they withhold 30% of your earnings. There's a tax treaty that gets that down to 5%. Even worse is trying to get an ITIN number.
That's a good point. I figured I could work GST out as it's roughly analogous to state-imposed sales taxes, but I'd prefer to avoid dealing with the US tax system if I can.

Darren870

That's a good point. I figured I could work GST out as it's roughly analogous to state-imposed sales taxes, but I'd prefer to avoid dealing with the US tax system if I can.

Yea, my missus applied for an ABN last night. Didn't need any proof of income, hasn't even worked yet. So should be able to bypass it.

As for websites, why not build it yourself? Wordpress does things pretty easily. I build (wordpress) websites on the side and there are enough plugins/templates you don't need to know much.

Shaneus

The one service I hate to use.
You're from Melbourne, yeah?
AgUXGO0.jpg

Help?

I don't think you'd need to be revenue generating to apply for an ABN; how else could holding companies or loss making companies incorporate?

Sorry, don't have time to look up the application procedure right now, but I've linked the relevant ASIC page to help get you started. Good luck!

Kritz

Banned
I think you need to meet certain requirements to get an ACN, but for an ABN all you do is a silly little quiz, fill in your personal details, and wait about 15 minutes for it to process.

Kritz

Banned
I don't think there are any upcoming video games called "shit spade" to be able to sell the domain to

I do have to extend some gratitude towards your twitter hustle, though. I met up with Jason today and talked about cool things.

I do have to extend some gratitude towards your twitter hustle, though. I met up with Jason today and talked about cool things.

Awesome to hear. Indie games industry seems to thrive on networking, similar to office admin jobs. The better network you can connect with I expect the better the chances of being successful.

Yea, my missus applied for an ABN last night. Didn't need any proof of income, hasn't even worked yet. So should be able to bypass it.

As for websites, why not build it yourself? Wordpress does things pretty easily. I build (wordpress) websites on the side and there are enough plugins/templates you don't need to know much.
I want to make sure that 1) it doesn't look like crap and 2) that the POS systems just work without my having to fiddle with them.

The first is the most critical. I can probably figure out how to build a functional website, but for what I'm planning on selling, it has to look trendy and chic. I know my limitations in this area, and it's better that as much of the visual design of the thing is out of my hands as possible.

One big selling point of SquareSpace is that the layouts scale to mobile and tablet.
I don't think you'd need to be revenue generating to apply for an ABN; how else could holding companies or loss making companies incorporate?

Sorry, don't have time to look up the application procedure right now, but I've linked the relevant ASIC page to help get you started. Good luck!
Thanks mate!

Kritz

Banned
I've never used squarespace before, but after building kritz.net from scratch: never again. Other people have already worked out how to build clean, functional websites for you. It's fun, and rewarding, and you learn a lot doing it yourself, but at the end of it all it's not a very practical solution.

Darren870

What does US tax have to do with it though? Isn't squarespace just a design company? It's not like they are selling your product.

What does US tax have to do with it though? Isn't squarespace just a design company? It's not like they are selling your product.

i don't much know about squarespace but some US based companies that sell things for non-US people will make you submit a tax form otherwise they'll withhold 30% of your earnings, even if you pay tax in Australia. You either have to get an ITIN (like a tax-file number/ SSN substitute, which is a pain in the arse in australia since you need it notarised, which is not easy here and JP is not a substitute, or you have to provide details of the tax treaty between the US and Australia, which means only 5% is withheld.

It is weird and it's not uniform.

Darren870

i don't much know about squarespace but some US based companies that sell things for non-US people will make you submit a tax form otherwise they'll withhold 30% of your earnings, even if you pay tax in Australia. You either have to get an ITIN (like a tax-file number/ SSN substitute, which is a pain in the arse in australia since you need it notarised, which is not easy here and JP is not a substitute, or you have to provide details of the tax treaty between the US and Australia, which means only 5% is withheld.

It is weird and it's not uniform.

Yea, I understand that. But I guess my impression is that he would be selling the products here by himself. If he was selling them in the US that would make sense.

Guess I am assuming things though.

From what I remember at the start of dark souls 2 you can wander into some guys that will destroy you so make sure your not wandering into the wrong direction.

Yeah I think you might be right

Lean on a guide, heavily, if you're having issues. People have torn those games apart and know them inside and out, and the game doesn't really do you any favours in terms of explaining itself.

I banged my head up against Dark Souls for a good few hours before falling in love. Those first hours are rough, and indeed it is pretty normal to get killed by standard enemies when you are starting out. Patience is the key. Bait them one at a time, learn their attacks.

It's also very possible you are in an area you are underleveled for. Just have a peak at a guide and see.

Thanks for this. I found one on YouTube by one of the writers of the official guide and I realised how much I've missed and all the mechanics I didn't understand because of the roundabout nature of how from explain them

Good PS+ lineup for next week, lots of "I kinda want to play that but don't want to pay full price" games. 6th of May is when they are available until 3rd of June.

5 PS4 games
3 PS3 games
4 Vita games

Ether One (PS4) (day one release)
Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition (PS4)
The Unfinished Swan (PS4, PS3, PS Vita)
Race the Sun (PS4, PS3, PS Vita)
Murasaki Baby (PS Vita)
Hohokum (PS4, PS3, PS Vita)

I picked up Unfinished Swan a while back and have really enjoyed it. PS4 port looks fantastic.

GwG for next month is pretty sad, especially considering they are reusing a game from last month again.

Castlestorm Definitive Edition (X1)
Mafia 2 (360) (first fortnight of the month only)
F1 2013 (360) (second fortnight of the month only)

Never a reward for being organised and getting shit done on time.
Up til 4 getting this thing done before a deadline, do it just, then they change the deadline to give peoole all day anyway, ridiculous. What a wasted effort.

Rlan

s6kn0Ox0a320avAvVC4lb4Xsvi1EBHRDHCj_02DIXyh_6INi3lJbaEQcJlshwJj6Jdw=h900-rw

Yes, after an extraordinary long time in soft launch land, Bears Vs Art is now available worldwide!

Story Trailer!

Release Trailer!

Greedy millionaires have opened abstract art galleries to display and admire their latest work. Now Rory the bear is ready to fight back against the pointless pieces invading his home!

Bears vs. Art – a puzzling postmodern expression of the fight against subtext, from the creators of Fruit Ninja and Jetpack Joyride!

Discover 150 galleries with exciting puzzles around every corner. Plan your moves carefully or race the clock in timed challenges to destroy every painting on every wall!
Each painting is protected by sneaky security measures including lasers, spikes and mind-bending portals. Not to mention snooty guests, nosy security guards and art-snatching thieves!

Bears vs. Art is fun, furry and free. Try it now and see for yourself!

125 PUZZLES AND COUNTING
More and more added on a regular basis!

FIND ART AND RIP IT TO SHREDS
Abstract art? Subtext? Unbearable!

AVOID CUNNING TRAPS
Roar and roll your way to success!

COLLECT COLORFUL COSTUMES
Gain special abilities that change the way you play!

COMPETE IN EVENTS
Win awesome prizes with new events all the time!

PLAY WITH FRIENDS
Journey together on a grand adventure!

A rediculous amount of stuff has happened since it's original soft launch release - there's a new unlimited level mode, you a BeaRPG system, and so much more. If you're tired of the drop puzzle genre and want something new to rack your brain, get this game!

Download for Free on iPhone

Download for Free on Android!

senahorse

Anyone done an ITIL foundations course?

Hahaha oh man, the most boring and dry course I have ever been subjected to, HAVE FUN :D

edit: I have nightmares that v4 will be announced any day now and will have to go to an upgrade course, at least they only go for one day though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom