• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

So, AusGAF. A minor celebrity posts among you, for I am he who tipped the Shenmue 3 KS over the $2m mark:
fvavA5i.gif
HQ8TKAYl.png

I've been offered an expat job in Texas and have decided to permanently move to America.
Wow, you must really hate Tony Abbott. And love Jeb Bush.

ShenBOOM!

Nice Work if Yu Can get It.
Oh god, that needs to be a thread title.

I've been offered an expat job in Texas and have decided to permanently move to America.
That's pretty awesome. The only jobs I ever get offered these days seem to be in places without any paved roads or Internet access, so Texas seems like a huge step up.

Also, Americans love Aussie accents, so you'll have that going for you.

Yoshi is adorable and Super Mario Maker looks cool and Xenoblade could be neat but it was largely all release dates for stuff we've seen before. In terms of newly shown stuff really only the Mario and Luigi x Paper Mario game was interesting. Even as a big Animal Crossing fan I have no interest in the dedicated house design thing or Animal Crossing Party - Amiibo Edition.

Well, I guess Zelda Four Three Swords: Crossdressing Edition could be neat, and Star Fox was fairly Star Fox looking.

Kinda telling that the most exciting thing Nintendo had this year was a 20 year old NES rom dump, and they didn't even save it for the main thing.

and Yoshi was pushed back further than I'd have liked.

That's the US date. It's due out here in like a week.

Yeah, gotta say the Nintendo thing didn't have has much 'boom' as the other shows. I was probably getting yoshi and Mario maker anyway. I guess Zelda is going straight to the NX.

legend166

Nintendo's conference was pretty dire. I mean I understand it to a certain degree, the Wii U is a dead platform. There's no point throwing heaps of money into development of games that could be used to sell your next console instead, one that has a chance to create a sustainable and healthy environment.

But there's so many things they could be doing appease their current audience that would require barely any resources (relatively speaking) and would make it less obvious they've given up on the platform. Their Virtual Console strategy is horrendous. They released one HD remaster to great success and then didn't bother doing any more even though it's an obvious way to plug holes in a line up. Why can't I buy GCN games yet and play them on the GamePad?

I wish it was possible to replace Iwata with someone who understood all this stuff, but still allowed Nintendo to keep it's development culture and make the same type of games. Because the fear is if you replace Iwata, you're more likely to get someone who won't just go down the mobile path like Nintendo are doing, but go down full force into F2P garbage. Imagine needing to wait 2 hours for that pokeball to finish capturing, but if you pay $5 it can happen immediately!

Rezbit

Yeah definitely glad I didn't bother to watch. VC is a gold mine that they're not tapping into, who knows why. They're still making fun games, but yeah, rip wii u. I got my 150 bucks worth out of it.

Dryk

Yeah I mean I got mine during the Dick Smith firesale and it's been well worth it on that front.
I didn't really get mine on special, but I've still played a ton of good games on it so I can't complain about the thing. The presentation though, that I can complain about. I mean I get why they have so little to show but they've announced so much stuff earlier this year they could've held off on.

Yeah I mean I got mine during the Dick Smith firesale and it's been well worth it on that front.

Yeah it's been a damn good Mario Kart machine, although I could have just used the Wii for that but it was making my eyes sore with how rough it looks on a big TV. MK8 is smooth and delicious as fuck on the eyes :)

Shaneus

Yeah man, I've got a DC with about a billion games (including Shenmue) that I've been looking to sell. I could chuck in an Xbox copy of Shenmue 2 for good measure!
I don't need them, but I've been itching to spruce up my DC collection. I'm too disorganised with mine :(

Me too! For that price, no complaints. If I'd paid full price for a Wii U I'd be pretty pissed. Bascially the console is done after 3 years. Yeesh.

Super Mario 3D World is the greatest game ever from my point of view, so I've gotten my money's worth.

I thought SM 3D World was a let down. It was good... but I wanted it to be fantastic. Meh.

Yeah it's been a damn good Mario Kart machine, although I could have just used the Wii for that but it was making my eyes sore with how rough it looks on a big TV. MK8 is smooth and delicious as fuck on the eyes :)

MK Wii was a turd. It seemed totally half baked to me from day 1. MK8, though, continues to provide me with many hours of enjoyment.

Fredescu

I thought SM 3D World was a let down. It was good... but I wanted it to be fantastic. Meh.

Highly personal reasons for me. My four year old son is hooked on it, I reckon we've played nearly 100 hours. The way the co op works is just perfect for letting a kid play along when they want, and just bubble and follow along when they want, and use the touch screen to help daddy get past a part. He's gone from not really knowing how to play, to being able to finish a few of the first levels on his own. The co-op implementation shits all over the 2D Mario's, and I really can't think of a similar game that has such a good co op.

3D Mario is probably my favourite "series" of all time, but I've never bothered to 100% one. We're really close with this one, just a few more worlds to do with all the characters, and of course Champions Road. I don't know if we'll ever actually beat it, but it's been one hell of a ride.

So my reasons aren't entirely objective, but fuck objective. Game is awesome.

Darren870

Congrats! Its a bit of a backwards state, but its pretty cool. Which city?

I find the kickstarter for shenmue 3 a bit ridiculous. There should have been enough hype for that game over the past 10 years to get actual funding and backing from a major studio. Meh, not like I'll play it anyway.

Highly personal reasons for me. My four year old son is hooked on it, I reckon we've played nearly 100 hours. The way the co op works is just perfect for letting a kid play along when they want, and just bubble and follow along when they want, and use the touch screen to help daddy get past a part. He's gone from not really knowing how to play, to being able to finish a few of the first levels on his own. The co-op implementation shits all over the 2D Mario's, and I really can't think of a similar game that has such a good co op.

3D Mario is probably my favourite "series" of all time, but I've never bothered to 100% one. We're really close with this one, just a few more worlds to do with all the characters, and of course Champions Road. I don't know if we'll ever actually beat it, but it's been one hell of a ride.

So my reasons aren't entirely objective, but fuck objective. Game is awesome.

That sounds amazing! In your position I'd no doubt feel the same.

Shaneus

I find the kickstarter for shenmue 3 a bit ridiculous. There should have been enough hype for that game over the past 10 years to get actual funding and backing from a major studio. Meh, not like I'll play it anyway.
They kind of did:

Adam Boyes talks about backing Shenmue 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRGlVDi3FHQ&feature=youtu.be&t=1m40s

"Providing some funding... ...from a marketing perspective we're going to get behind it in a big way"

"We're going to put our horsepower behind it as well to make sure that it's a fantastic experience and a great game"
"Obviously we're providing some funding as well, but we never disclose...". I think you missed the context of that quote. So there you go, there's almost no chance of seeing it on One.

Just as I suspected, this is very similar (though larger in scope) to the Grim Fandango Remastered release. Sony backs it, gets released on every platform bar their competing ones.
(from the Shenmue 3 thread)

Deeku

yeah, i regret watching the nintendo thing. the puppets tricked me into staying up!

i guess the mario & luigi paper mario thing could be neat, tho i wish they'd just make a proper paper mario for 3ds

also i guess there are more amiibos for you guys to buy lol

Jintor

the amiibo software support is still rubbish imho. every amiibo should work with every amiibo supporting game in some way.

Dryk

MK Wii was a turd. It seemed totally half baked to me from day 1. MK8, though, continues to provide me with many hours of enjoyment.
I hate MK Wii but I've never been able to nail down why. Something about the way it looks and feels is just awful. Also I've always had this suspicion that 12-player was a late addition because it doesn't seem like the item table adjustments weren't thought out well at all.

Congrats! Its a bit of a backwards state, but its pretty cool. Which city?

Sony really wanted those jackets.

Yeah spot on. I really dislike playing MKWii, feels like shit and looks like shit.

I also hate NSMB1, NSMBU feels much more 'fair' and balanced for some reason to me.

Highly personal reasons for me. My four year old son is hooked on it, I reckon we've played nearly 100 hours. The way the co op works is just perfect for letting a kid play along when they want.
Sounds like Knack and my son! We've up in 100 hours easily and keep restarting the game before we get to the end because he likes the first few levels the most lol

It's a bit complex due to SEGA owning the IP and it requiring a HUGEEEE budget. It's really hard to judge how well it will do so the Kickstarter is similar to the Iga thing but more complex due to involving paying SEGA a bunch of money for use of the IP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom